The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elhamm
Did they not give the bond enthalpy for C-H & C-C bonds??
p.s. What is the answer they obtained?

Na they gave all of it. It's just the ethene bit I don't understand.
C-H = 413
C-C= 347
C=C = 612
H-H= 436

The answer is -125KJmol^-1

I don't understand the bonds in the ethene.

It says answer: [612+436]-[(2x413)+347) =-125KJ mol^-1
Original post by Super199
C-H = 413
C-C= 347
C=C = 612
H-H= 436

Best way to do these question is to draw out the structures

Posted from TSR Mobile
C-H = 413
C-C= 347
C=C = 612
H-H= 436

Bonds broken:
1 C=C (612)
4 C-H (4 x 413 = 1652)
1 H-H (436)
The total is when you add them together = 2700

Bonds made:
1 C-C (347)
6 C-H (6 x 413 = 2478)
Total = 2825

When finding the enthalpy change you use like you said 'Bond broken - Bonds made'
Therefore in this case we have to do the following: 2700 - 2825 = -125kJmol^-1

(every value is in kJmol^-1)
Hope that helped :smile:
Original post by Elhamm
Bonds broken:
1 C=C (612)
4 C-H (4 x 413 = 1652)
1 H-H (436)
The total is when you add them together = 2700

Bonds made:
1 C-C (347)
6 C-H (6 x 413 = 2478)
Total = 2825

When finding the enthalpy change you use like you said 'Bond broken - Bonds made'
Therefore in this case we have to do the following: 2700 - 2825 = -125kJmol^-1

(every value is in kJmol^-1)
Hope that helped :smile:

oooh I've been such an idiot. Thank you very much :smile:
hey everyone :smile:
need help with this question: what oxidation number does nitrogen have in HCN?
I kind of understand that it is probably -5 if the ON of C is +4. However, there are different answers in the internet :confused:
Original post by aigerimk
hey everyone :smile:
need help with this question: what oxidation number does nitrogen have in HCN?
I kind of understand that it is probably -5 if the ON of C is +4. However, there are different answers in the internet :confused:

When you're looking at carbon in terms of oxidation state, you add +1 for each bond that the carbon atom has to the more electronegative atom (in this case Nitrogen) and -1 for each bond with the least electronegative atom (in this case Hydrogen) the HCN shows that carbon has three bonds to Nitrogen (so +3) and 1 bond to hydrogen (-1) for carbon to have a total of +2 so nitrogen has to be -3 as the molecule is neutral overall.

Sorry for the long explanation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh I see! Thank you so much for the explanation, this question finally makes sense to me :biggrin:
Helloooo, I wonder if somebody can help with something I came across in a textbook and am really confused.
So the question was to draw the structure of 1,1-dimethyl-3-ethylcyclohexane, which I thought was simple enough, except this is the answer they put in the book ... ( see attached picture below)

I just don't see how the ethyl group can be on the carbon which I have labelled 2 ( the labels in red were done by me, they weren't in the book) when it says "3-ethyl"... the book even says, "Add two methyl groups to one carbon atom, which becomes carbon atom 1. Then add an ethyl group to carbon atom 3". But to me that ethyl group is on carbon 2! Am I missing something?

I hope my question makes sense I know its a bit long winded haha... I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Georgiam247
Helloooo, I wonder if somebody can help with something I came across in a textbook and am really confused.
So the question was to draw the structure of 1,1-dimethyl-3-ethylcyclohexane, which I thought was simple enough, except this is the answer they put in the book ... ( see attached picture below)

I just don't see how the ethyl group can be on the carbon which I have labelled 2 ( the labels in red were done by me, they weren't in the book) when it says "3-ethyl"... the book even says, "Add two methyl groups to one carbon atom, which becomes carbon atom 1. Then add an ethyl group to carbon atom 3". But to me that ethyl group is on carbon 2! Am I missing something?

I hope my question makes sense I know its a bit long winded haha... I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!

You've added two methyl groups on carbon-1 where it says 3-ethyl, you can count clockwise or anticlockwise, so you put the ethyl group on the third carbon from carbon-1 clock or anticlockwise.
Original post by ThatMadClown
You've added two methyl groups on carbon-1 where it says 3-ethyl, you can count clockwise or anticlockwise, so you put the ethyl group on the third carbon from carbon-1 clock or anticlockwise.

But in the picture the two groups are on carbons next to each other whatever way you count the carbons...

Sounds like the textbook's made a mistake...
But in the picture the two groups are on carbons next to each other whatever way you count the carbons...

They've probably made a mistake, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMadClown
They've probably made a mistake, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think so? That crossed my mind but I just didn't think it was possible, I've got every other question right /understood my mistake, so yeah you're probably right about over thinking it...I tend to do that haha. Thank you!! :redface:
Original post by BWV1007
Sounds like the textbook's made a mistake...

Gosh I really hope so! Haha thank you :colondollar:
Do you think so? That crossed my mind but I just didn't think it was possible, I've got every other question right /understood my mistake, so yeah you're probably right about over thinking it...I tend to do that haha. Thank you!! :redface:

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
I do OCR A.
I was just wondering why my teacher stressed on the importance of the 5 ions (Carbonate, Nitrate, Sulphate, Hydroxide and Ammonium)?
Why do we NEED to learn their formula and names?
And if you do OCR A, this will really help you out alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/ocr-chemistry-f321-summary-notes-and-worksheet-6423088
Original post by leaveyusufalone
Hey guys,
I do OCR A.
I was just wondering why my teacher stressed on the importance of the 5 ions (Carbonate, Nitrate, Sulphate, Hydroxide and Ammonium)?
Why do we NEED to learn their formula and names?

You should know their formula and charge because you're gonna need it when it comes to oxidation states. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys just a quick one here thanks,
for the AQA as june 2012 unit 2 paper question 9b(i) you have to get an ionic equation - i got the right answer
however now i don't think it makes much sense
the full equation i believe is KCl (s) + H2SO4(l)===> KHSO4(s) + HCl(g) however to get an ionic equation from this I'm not sure as no reactants or products are aqueous
my possible explanation is that adding the acid dissolves the solid KCL?? making it aqueous. However this is not very convincing
Anyone know?? any help would be appreciated
Need some help with an enthalpy change question

Calculate the enthalpy changes of reaction for each of the following reaction

a). C2H4(g) + H2(g) ----> C2H6(g)

Right so it gives you a ton of values. So since they are in the gas state it is Sum of bonds broken - Sum of bonds made.

There is a C=C double bond which is 612Kjmol^-1
But it says there is one H-H bond that gives the 436Kjmol^-1
I don't really understand that bit isn't there 4 C-H bonds? Can someone explain this. I get the rest of the question apart from this bit.

Hi , what helps is to draw the displayed formula e.g. Ethane has 6 C-H and one C-C ( single bond ) in that you can see the bonds and so forth. Hope that helps ;P

Quick Reply

Latest