The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Just hope Van Gaal doesnt win the cup tbh. Scraping past 3 League 1 sides, then pulling off the non-event of a Utd win vs Arsenal is a sickening way for him to get to Wembley given how poor Utd really are.

Exactly this. Would rather Liverpool win it tbh but my ideal winners at this stage would be Bradford they might as well be rewarded for the triumphs against PL opponents. I mean, that spanking of Chelsea at the bridge in itself is worthy of silverware.
Original post by sr90
Hey, Cambridge are a League Two side!

I hope we face Bradford and then West Brom or someone like that. Let's Chelsea our way to the trophy.

That prick LVG would just sit their gloating like he'd won the CL if that happens.

The only salvation is surely some kind of Mike Basset style hypnosis on the Arsenal squad or if Rooney doesnt play. He personifies everything I hate about Arsenal/Utd games
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
That prick LVG would just sit their gloating like he'd won the CL if that happens.

The only salvation is surely some kind of Mike Basset style hypnosis on the Arsenal squad or if Rooney doesnt play. He personifies everything I hate about Arsenal/Utd games

Rooney loves playing Arsenal doesn't he!

Henry was the same tbf. Never turned up at OT but he always seemed to ****ing score at Highbury.
Original post by Zürich
Team for Palace then? Ideally Sanchez/Walcott will get a game to find some sharpness for Monaco but hard to know who to leave out. Always feel like Welbeck is decent in these kind of aways though so he should start. Maybe Jack Wilshere will get some came time as well if we're doing well. I'd play Bellerin/Monreal vs Monaco and the English wing backs tomorrow. And Szczesny needs a recall

I'll have Szczesny, Chambers, Kosc, Mert, Gibbs, Coquelin, Ozil, Cazorla, Sanchez, Welbeck, Giroud?

I like this team. Think this is what wenger will go with except maybe Monreal starting. Hopefully he unleashes walcott vs monaco.
I don't think the FA cup game is a foregone conclusion. I understand that Arsenal fans are cautious to show any optimism given our record vs United but we shouldn't write ourselves off. We showed at the emirates we can dominate them but just need some better finishing. We had lots of key players missing in that game too.

Being at the toilet makes United favourites but I'm confident we can at least take it back to the emirates.
I've actually gotta feeling we may knock them out; 10 years since we beat them in the final, LCG as manager etc.
Original post by De Chirico
I don't think the FA cup game is a foregone conclusion. I understand that Arsenal fans are cautious to show any optimism given our record vs United but we shouldn't write ourselves off. We showed at the emirates we can dominate them but just need some better finishing. We had lots of key players missing in that game too.

Being at the toilet makes United favourites but I'm confident we can at least take it back to the emirates.

That's definitely true. If we're unlikely to beat Utd at OT then they still need to beat us there to avoid a replay at the Emirates. And the bookies have them at 5/4 to manage that so might be alright on the night :redface:
Original post by De Chirico

We also had a defence containing 2 academy players and 2 wingers, with our best DM injured and our other one playing half fit.

Arsenal always dominate us and then we kill you on the counter. To say you dominated the game really doesn't mean anything unfortunately. It's been the case for nearly every game we've played since 2007.
(edited 9 years ago)
Games won against post-Fergie Utd:
Man City 3
Liverpool 2
Everton 2
Swansea 2
Sunderland 2
Tottenham Hotspur 1
Chelsea 1
Southampton 1
Stoke City 1
West Bromwich Albion 1
Newcastle 1
MK Dons 1
Arsenal 0
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1889
I'm gonna back Arsenal to get revenge for ten years of hurt and break Man U hearts - first by knocking them out of the FA cup and going on to win in, the next by beating them in the PL and knocking them out of the top 4.

As long as Jack doesn't play of course.
Original post by EddyP
I'm gonna back Arsenal to get revenge for ten years of hurt and break Man U hearts - first by knocking them out of the FA cup and going on to win in, the next by beating them in the PL and knocking them out of the top 4.

As long as Jack doesn't play of course.

Think Arsenal will beat United in the FA cup but that they won't make the Top 4 this season.

I predict the English teams in the Champions League next season will be Chelsea, City, Southampton, Spurs, and Everton.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Think Arsenal will beat United in the FA cup but that they won't make the Top 4 this season.

I predict the English teams in the Champions League next season will be Chelsea, City, Southampton, Spurs, and Everton.

5 teams. One of which are 12th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

He means Everton will win the Europa League, which will earn them a place in the CL next year.

Stupid rule imo, Everton clearly aren't good enough for CL football. League form should dictate who enters into Europe's best competition. Devalues the CL with inferior quality
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learn the rules buddy. :rolleyes:
Everton winning the Europe league is still laughable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
Games won against post-Fergie Utd:
Man City 3
Liverpool 2
Everton 2
Swansea 2
Sunderland 2
Tottenham Hotspur 1
Chelsea 1
Southampton 1
Stoke City 1
West Bromwich Albion 1
Newcastle 1
MK Dons 1
Arsenal 0

What's really weird about this is Man City who play a similar style of football to arsenal usually beat utd but arsenal usually **** up
I have never seen such a season where we've barely been in the top four since the start of it. Must be some sort of record.

This weekend is a pivitol one. A draw between the saints and Liverpool or at most a Liverpool win would be ideal if we were to beat Palace. We can finally start cementing ambitions to finish third or at least stay in fourth. Tottenham/West Ham and Swans/United could see points dropped too but I doubt it for the latter match.

All in all I'd be happy to see is back up there by the end of this weekend. Would be fantastic.
Lyrical Prodigy
x

Aha no worries, I'll let you take that credit then :wink:

Cavani is an upgrade on the current Falcao in mostly every way, including on price if Monaco refuse to lower their valuation (which they would be idiots not to do).

BTW I can't reply to anything on my user page, but if you want my email or something then let me know :smile:
Original post by Arkasia
Aha no worries, I'll let you take that credit then :wink:

Cavani is an upgrade on the current Falcao in mostly every way, including on price if Monaco refuse to lower their valuation (which they would be idiots not to do).

BTW I can't reply to anything on my user page, but if you want my email or something then let me know :smile:

Gosh it's pretty late...we should be fast asleep :holmes: we've got a match to hold our breath for tomorrow! :tongue:

That's true and tbh I couldn't care less about the likes of Cavani or Falcao anymore, I'd be quite irritated if we continued to get linked with them in the summer.

Aha I see you've sorted that bit out already. I'll just reply to the VM instead to avoid going off topic :h:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Gosh it's pretty late...we should be fast asleep :holmes: we've got a match to hold our breath for tomorrow! :tongue:

That's true and tbh I couldn't care less about the likes of Cavani or Falcao anymore, I'd be quite irritated if we continued to get linked with them in the summer.

Aha I see you've sorted that bit out already. I'll just reply to the VM instead to avoid going off topic :h:

I won't be sleeping for a while, I have rediscovered Arkham City :biggrin:

I remember people flipping out at the fact we bought Welbz on deadline day, and Utd got Falcao like an hour after, but it's funny how things change, eh? I am more annoyed when we are linked to strikers we have no interest in whatsoever - people like Dybala, Cerci etc (although I am hoping we can steal Immobile from Dortmund due to their fall in form).

Yeah I managed to, good idea :wink:

Latest