The Student Room Group

St Dominic's Sixth Form College 2014- 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YounesB
Great, do you study there at the moment?

2nd year at Uni.... But I went to St Doms for completion of my A-levels. Lots of people do 5A-Levels at Doms too; the minimum is 4, if you find it tough then you can drop one, if not keep going :biggrin:
Original post by XavierMyshkin
2nd year at Uni.... But I went to St Doms for completion of my A-levels. Lots of people do 5A-Levels at Doms too; the minimum is 4, if you find it tough then you can drop one, if not keep going :biggrin:

Oh wow, what are you studying?

Are the teachers as good as they say they are? It just seems like everything is hyped up?
Original post by YounesB
Oh wow, what are you studying?

Are the teachers as good as they say they are? It just seems like everything is hyped up?

At St Doms I studied: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History, RE and did an EPQ.
My Chemistry teachers (in A2): one was very good in terms of allowing me to constantly ask any questions I wanted irrespective of how off topic to the syllabus they were (as long as I stayed focus during lessons) and both were excellent in terms if delivering as to the demands of the specification.
All the teachers in the maths department are pretty good, though I would say one in particular (one I had in A2) was an incredible maths teacher.
Biology again all pretty solid.
History sadly the amazing teacher I had left, though I ams sure they have found someone more than capable. Likewise for the latter 2.

The teachers are very good, I think I really benefited from the vary scholastic environment that is St Doms, and the school is very good with respect to lesson structure, ensuring good exam practice, ensuring quality control through regular student surveys and the like. Furthermore, if you want to delve further than the bland textbook material you will almost always find a teacher willing to discuss things more deeply, as your subject interests develop.
At St Doms I studied: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, History, RE and did an EPQ.
My Chemistry teachers (in A2): one was very good in terms of allowing me to constantly ask any questions I wanted irrespective of how off topic to the syllabus they were (as long as I stayed focus during lessons) and both were excellent in terms if delivering as to the demands of the specification.
All the teachers in the maths department are pretty good, though I would say one in particular (one I had in A2) was an incredible maths teacher.
Biology again all pretty solid.
History sadly the amazing teacher I had left, though I ams sure they have found someone more than capable. Likewise for the latter 2.

The teachers are very good, I think I really benefited from the vary scholastic environment that is St Doms, and the school is very good with respect to lesson structure, ensuring good exam practice, ensuring quality control through regular student surveys and the like. Furthermore, if you want to delve further than the bland textbook material you will almost always find a teacher willing to discuss things more deeply, as your subject interests develop.

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

I guess it's just luck to get the best teachers?

Did you feel, with 5AS, that your timetable was too crowded like did you get less lessons of maths, say, than your friends who took maths but only took 4 A levels?

What about the language dep? Did you get any impressions from them?
Original post by YounesB
Fantastic, thanks for the info!

I guess it's just luck to get the best teachers?

Did you feel, with 5AS, that your timetable was too crowded like did you get less lessons of maths, say, than your friends who took maths but only took 4 A levels?

What about the language dep? Did you get any impressions from them?

No, you have exactly the same number of lessons (4 per week of each subject). You do have fewer free-periods per week however, though I didn't mind too much given that during my free periods I often ended up just going for walks with friends or other random things. Language department... I have a friend who is studying Italian in University after going to St Doms, if you can enthuse a student to go on to study your subject you can't be a bad teacher I guess (for the most part), but other than that I shouldn't comment too much as I don't wish to pretend I know more than I actually do about the matter :smile:
No, you have exactly the same number of lessons (4 per week of each subject). You do have fewer free-periods per week however, though I didn't mind too much given that during my free periods I often ended up just going for walks with friends or other random things. Language department... I have a friend who is studying Italian in University after going to St Doms, if you can enthuse a student to go on to study your subject you can't be a bad teacher I guess (for the most part), but other than that I shouldn't comment too much as I don't wish to pretend I know more than I actually do about the matter :smile:

Oh right. I've been looking at this other college: Harris Westminster. It's a relatively new college and was funded 45 million pounds for a start and partners with westminster college (the private one) I've been interested in that but its worrying because it has no performance reports.

I'll probably stick with doms because it has a solid history.

My friend is feeling a little uncertain going to doms whereas 2 months ago he was really for it. Could you give some words of wisdom to get him thinking again because doms is a great school.

I will probably take the 5 a levels and see how it goes.

What do you study at uni (sorry if I have asked this already)
Original post by YounesB
Oh right. I've been looking at this other college: Harris Westminster. It's a relatively new college and was funded 45 million pounds for a start and partners with westminster college (the private one) I've been interested in that but its worrying because it has no performance reports.

I'll probably stick with doms because it has a solid history.

My friend is feeling a little uncertain going to doms whereas 2 months ago he was really for it. Could you give some words of wisdom to get him thinking again because doms is a great school.

I will probably take the 5 a levels and see how it goes.

What do you study at uni (sorry if I have asked this already)

I am very well aware of Harris Westminster. Though I would agree St Doms is a safer bet and a very great place to be; nice location, great teachers, great societies etc...

I think ultimately it is a personal choice, all I can say is that I greatly enjoyed my time at St Doms, as did nearly everybody I know. Irrespective of which school one chooses, in the end you have to knuckle down and just work hard to complete your A-Levels.

I study Biochemistry at Oxford now.
I am very well aware of Harris Westminster. Though I would agree St Doms is a safer bet and a very great place to be; nice location, great teachers, great societies etc...

I think ultimately it is a personal choice, all I can say is that I greatly enjoyed my time at St Doms, as did nearly everybody I know. Irrespective of which school one chooses, in the end you have to knuckle down and just work hard to complete your A-Levels.

I study Biochemistry at Oxford now.

Are you planning to study medicine as a postgrad?

Thats amazing - going to oxford would be the dream. I heard they spend around £35,000 per student per year! What hospitality!

What do you think of Harris?

I looked at images and their website and I was expecting a lot more - especially because they were given 45 million !
Original post by YounesB
Are you planning to study medicine as a postgrad?

Thats amazing - going to oxford would be the dream. I heard they spend around £35,000 per student per year! What hospitality!

What do you think of Harris?

I looked at images and their website and I was expecting a lot more - especially because they were given 45 million !

Medicine. It is interesting you ask, a few years ago I would have probably shook my head in abhorrence though now I am less inclined to do so, and would consider it as an option. An option amongst many other potential routes. Indeed Oxford is very generous financially, though I am not sure of the exact figures. I have been subject to particularly high generosity given that they awarded me a scholarship (well 2 kind of) on admission.

In terms of Harris I wouldn't comment too much since I never attended the school; it is hard to know unless you actually have studied at a place, though I would say I can speak about Doms and to reiterate myself I think it is a wonderful place!
You would need an average point score of 6.5 to get in as far as I know.
Um, has anyone got an interview yet?

I've been predicted 6A* & 4A, and everyone tells me that I should get a place.
I'm not Catholic, but I'm Hindu. I sent in my religious reference extremely early, but my incompetent teacher couldn't send in our academic references on time.

Apparently, according to him, he contacted the school and they said everything is alright for the applicants from our school.

Still, I'm worried, so I want to know if anyone has got an interview, so I can phone up and ask why my academic reference hasn't been sent.
Usually, if you don't get in, you'd a rejection email, right?

I haven't even got that.

-Sighs-

This is why you shouldn't go to my school. -.-
Original post by Graysamaicemage
Um, has anyone got an interview yet?

I've been predicted 6A* & 4A, and everyone tells me that I should get a place.
I'm not Catholic, but I'm Hindu. I sent in my religious reference extremely early, but my incompetent teacher couldn't send in our academic references on time.

Apparently, according to him, he contacted the school and they said everything is alright for the applicants from our school.

Still, I'm worried, so I want to know if anyone has got an interview, so I can phone up and ask why my academic reference hasn't been sent.
Usually, if you don't get in, you'd a rejection email, right?

I haven't even got that.

-Sighs-

This is why you shouldn't go to my school. -.-

Yea I got an interview and an offer. Its probably because Im from the feeder school.
You really should get an offer, although im from a feeder school, I don't need as good results as someone that is not catholic like you.

Non catholics need A* and As so in theory you should get in if you get an interview!

Hope all goes well

Out of curiosity, what are your A level options?
Original post by DanielBaranowski
Yea I got an interview and an offer. Its probably because Im from the feeder school.
You really should get an offer, although im from a feeder school, I don't need as good results as someone that is not catholic like you.

Non catholics need A* and As so in theory you should get in if you get an interview!

Hope all goes well

Congratulations when do you think we will hear from st doms?
Original post by UltimateLad1
Congratulations when do you think we will hear from st doms?

Thanks!

Taking a logical guess, since I had mine on the 19th Feb. you should probably have yours a little before or after easter.

Maybe they're taking their time to with non-feeder schools?

I guess I'll phone them in soon.

I'm taking,

Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Music/English Language - Lit/German
Thanks!

Taking a logical guess, since I had mine on the 19th Feb. you should probably have yours a little before or after easter.

you've got an offer already! wow well done.

what is involved in the interviews?
Original post by YounesB
you've got an offer already! wow well done.

what is involved in the interviews?

Oops! I meant 19th Jan not Feb, but yea, I got my offer straight after the interview

Well some of my friends got different questions to mine but the questions they asked me were:
- Your mock grades (why do you think you got what you did, are you happy/sad about them etc.)
- future aspirations (what you want to study at uni, what job do you want to have)
- A level courses (why did you choose what you chose, do you want to change them etc.)
- Hobbies
- Why did you choose St doms (what you think is good about the sixth form, how you think it will help you get to higher education etc.)

That's generally it, questions might differ but that is what I was asked!
gl when you have your interview!
Oops! I meant 19th Jan not Feb, but yea, I got my offer straight after the interview

Well some of my friends got different questions to mine but the questions they asked me were:
- Your mock grades (why do you think you got what you did, are you happy/sad about them etc.)
- future aspirations (what you want to study at uni, what job do you want to have)
- A level courses (why did you choose what you chose, do you want to change them etc.)
- Hobbies
- Why did you choose St doms (what you think is good about the sixth form, how you think it will help you get to higher education etc.)

That's generally it, questions might differ but that is what I was asked!
gl when you have your interview!

those sound like interesting questions :biggrin:D

Just to be clear - this was this year right?

what is your offer? 6.5?

were there a lot of people who were rejected?
wow sounds good my a level choice were
maths
economcis
physics
english literature

congratulations on getting a place!
Reply 39
I go to Doms (1st year) - feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending