The Student Room Group

Receding hairline and bald spots

Anyone actually started losing hair or their hairline receding?
What do you think is the cause of this?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Blame the parents...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zenarthra
Anyone actually started losing hair or their hairline receding?
What do you think is the cause of this?

Discuss.

Genetics....... :indiff:
I don't have those problems but I'm a bit self-conscious about my hair, as my father has lost much of his hair, and I fear losing mine later on. :frown:
Don't know if most people end up like their father or not (hair-wise).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Genetics....... :indiff:

That is true, but its more to do with the shape of your skull.
Reply 5
Original post by IWantToBeThere
I don't have those problems but I'm a bit self-conscious about my hair, as my father has lost much of his hair, and I fear losing mine later on. :frown:

Its quite interesting to see how we still dont know the underlying cause of receding hairline and bald spots.
Many now say that bald spots and receding hairlines are caused by lateral expansions of the skull in the anteroposterior alignment from either side of the suture lines.
Frequently you will see many men have a fused coronal suture line but the skull grows on either side of this line.
Growth of skull restricts the blood flow to the scalp and therefore hair cannot grow.
Reply 6
I have heavily.

Fortunately I discovered that women care far more about the body than the hair so I'll be fine in the long run.
Reply 7
That is true, but its more to do with the shape of your skull.

I thought they'd linked it to testosterone.
Reply 8
I lost my hair for nearly 2 years but it grew back thanks to the fade haircut i've been doing recently.

It may grow back or not just give it time
It is likely due to multifactorial causes.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
I thought they'd linked it to testosterone.

Yes there was another theory, that as men age testosterone levels decline due to the production of (DHT)Dihydro testosterone. 5AR (5 alpha reductase) is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
DHT is linked to skull growth and hair loss.
Reply 11
Original post by O.Ozz
I lost my hair for nearly 2 years but it grew back thanks to the fade haircut i've been doing recently.

It may grow back or not just give it time

Where have you been losing hair?
Did you monitor your diet through the regrowth process?
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
I have heavily.

Fortunately I discovered that women care far more about the body than the hair so I'll be fine in the long run.

Where on your scalp did you lose hair?
Reply 13
Where have you been losing hair?
Did you monitor your diet through the regrowth process?

It was thinning at the back of my head. This was around February 2013 that it started thinning and my stupid parents thought it was because i wore hats too much or was lying down too much on the bed

The truth is im glad it has grown back but it is still a mystery why it happened in the first place. I didn't monitor my diet because i didn't that was the cause

Maybe you should go to the GP (but they will be pointless anyway)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by O.Ozz
It was thinning at the back of my head. This was around February 2013 that it started thinning and my stupid parents thought it was because i wore hats too much or was lying down too much on the bed

The truth is im glad it has grown back but it is still a mysterious why it happened in the first place. I didn't monitor my diet because i didn't that was the cause

I dont have any bald spots, it isn't in my family lol. I was just curious since this affects 80% of men.
Usually hair stops growing when there is restricted blood flow to the scalp. If you was lying down too much during the time you were losing hair then this may have been a factor of contribution.
Diet is important because you can prevent the production of the enzyme 5AR with certain foods.
Do you not remember how your diet was like?

There has been quite a few studies encompassing this subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by O.Ozz

The truth is im glad it has grown back but it is still a mysterious why it happened in the first place. I didn't monitor my diet because i didn't that was the cause

Have you been to a GP, what have they said?
My GP seems to think the bones of the skull fuse at ages 2-3 years old.
Lack of hairline recession by 25 is actually a pretty specific sign of liver dysfunction :fyi:
Yes there was another theory, that as men age testosterone levels decline due to the production of (DHT)Dihydro testosterone. 5AR (5 alpha reductase) is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to DHT.
DHT is linked to skull growth and hair loss.

I recall reading a BBC article about a year ago which suggested that those who go bald earliest have higher levels of testosterone and lower levels of a cancer or two.

Where on your scalp did you lose hair?

Classic male pattern. Temples and crown with thinning on top.
Original post by IWantToBeThere

It can come from the mother's side - it's not generally expressed in the mother herself but if she has balding brothers then that gives a clue.
Reply 19
Original post by Rakas21
I recall reading a BBC article about a year ago which suggested that those who go bald earliest have higher levels of testosterone and lower levels of a cancer or two.

Classic male pattern. Temples and crown with thinning on top.

How old are you btw?
And i found the article.

Dr Alison Ross of Cancer Research UK said the link between baldness and prostate cancer is still unknown because previous studies have found the opposite to this one.
"The results hinge on asking men between ages 40 and 70 to remember whether their hair was thinning when they were 30, which does not provide a very reliable measurement," she added.

More testosterone means greater amount of DHT i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest