The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Turing College Accommodation

Hi. I'm looking at selecting accommodation choices and know that Turing is new, meaning no photos on the uni website. I was wondering if anyone who has visited, or a current tenant could give me information/images of what the flats and houses look like. Is it correct that Turing houses share bathrooms between two? What are the other facilities like? E.g. kitchen and communal areas
Thanks in advance :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I went a few days ago and Turing did look great, Very modern decoration. The Kitchens had 2 Long white Tables with probably enough room for 16 people, Wooden with 4 wooden box stools, Kitchen had 2 Ovens, 3 fridges/freezers, lots of cupboards. All clean and looking good, the bedrooms were a better size than i thought they would be with there being 4 bedrooms on the floor I went to and 2 bathrooms. To be honest it all looked great. Good enough for me when I got home to immediately put it as my first choice.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by Penguinfarts
I went a few days ago and Turing did look great, Very modern decoration. The Kitchens had 2 Long white Tables with probably enough room for 16 people, Wooden with 4 wooden box stools, Kitchen had 2 Ovens, 3 fridges/freezers, lots of cupboards. All clean and looking good, the bedrooms were a better size than i thought they would be with there being 4 bedrooms on the floor I went to and 2 bathrooms. To be honest it all looked great. Good enough for me when I got home to immediately put it as my first choice.

Thank you, this is really helpful! Was this the flats or houses?
Original post by JenniferStanley
Thank you, this is really helpful! Was this the flats or houses?

Houses, The flats are all Ensuite
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Will definitely be firming Houses as first choice. Thanks for your help :smile:
Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Will definitely be firming Houses as first choice. Thanks for your help :smile:

Same I think they are the best priced for the quality you get.
Reply 7
Hi guys, so did either of you go for ensuite?
Reply 8
Bit confused as to whether they're all in the same building. I went for ensuite, but the options list it as a room with a double bed. I don't remember seeing a double bed when I visited, but it's the only option provided for if you want an ensuite
Original post by callum_r
Bit confused as to whether they're all in the same building. I went for ensuite, but the options list it as a room with a double bed. I don't remember seeing a double bed when I visited, but it's the only option provided for if you want an ensuite

I think the rooms with the Double beds are the Flats which are already in use so they couldn't show us, however I believe the rooms with the blue decor in this link http://www.agoda.com/en-sg/turing-college-university-of-kent-hostel/hotel/canterbury-gb.html are the Ensuite flats.
I think the rooms with the Double beds are the Flats which are already in use so they couldn't show us, however I believe the rooms with the blue decor in this link http://www.agoda.com/en-sg/turing-college-university-of-kent-hostel/hotel/canterbury-gb.html are the Ensuite flats.

My thought was that it was just a slightly bigger single bed. Because the one's we saw on the ground floor still had an ensuite and that's why I liked them. There are larger ensuite rooms, which I think is the one with the clearly double bed.

I'm not sure, i've opted for the double bed, ensuite room as I really wanted the ensuite. I don't care what the bed is like!
My thought was that it was just a slightly bigger single bed. Because the one's we saw on the ground floor still had an ensuite and that's why I liked them. There are larger ensuite rooms, which I think is the one with the clearly double bed.

I'm not sure, i've opted for the double bed, ensuite room as I really wanted the ensuite. I don't care what the bed is like!

To my understanding, all rooms in the Turing College flats are en suite - either large or extra large rooms.

All rooms in the Turing houses are single rooms which share bathroom facilities with one other room. This is the room that I have opted for.
To my understanding, all rooms in the Turing College flats are en suite - either large or extra large rooms.

All rooms in the Turing houses are single rooms which share bathroom facilities with one other room. This is the room that I have opted for.

Ah I see I see, so what we were shown were the flats? Thanks for clearing it up!
My thought was that it was just a slightly bigger single bed.

I think you're right. I had a look on the uni website, and it states that the Turing single rooms have 7' single beds as opposed to the standard 6' 3".
I visited and the beds are slightly bigger than normal and they are quite comfy lol i had a lay down on one. The en-suites are in a different building all together with a slightly different lay out i believe, well thats how it sounded from the tour guide. Overall either of them look very nice and would highly recommend over other accommodation but we only got to see two, the best and the worst. It sucks because i wanted to stay here as they looked so nice but i need to keep my car so i'm having to stay off campus :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I have a standard single room, and it's much bigger than standard single rooms in other types of accommodation! If you're set on an en-suite, I'd still consider a standard single at Turing since the bathroom are only shared between two people, and some even get en-suites if you're in the ground floor room (it's luck though). The bathrooms are nicer than the en-suite ones anyway!
Original post by ellajmin
I have a standard single room, and it's much bigger than standard single rooms in other types of accommodation! If you're set on an en-suite, I'd still consider a standard single at Turing since the bathroom are only shared between two people, and some even get en-suites if you're in the ground floor room (it's luck though). The bathrooms are nicer than the en-suite ones anyway!

Do you have any trouble with noise? Just wondering if you have 9 people in one house if you have much trouble with people disrupting your sleep.
Also out of curiosity, since you actually got the Room that is my first choice, how early did you apply?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Do you have any trouble with noise? Just wondering if you have 9 people in one house if you have much trouble with people disrupting your sleep.
Also out of curiosity, since you actually got the Room that is my first choice, how early did you apply?

[INDENT]No trouble with noise at all ☺️ the walls are pretty thick! Sometimes we hear housemates running up and down stairs, but it's no trouble[/INDENT]

I know someone already in the university who said that turing was still a building site? and they said they werent sure if it would be completed before next year? im just scared of putting down turing as my first choice and being forced to live somewhere else because it isnt complete....
Reply 19
Original post by juliettebaguette
I know someone already in the university who said that turing was still a building site? and they said they werent sure if it would be completed before next year? im just scared of putting down turing as my first choice and being forced to live somewhere else because it isnt complete....

Some Turing flats and houses are already built. If you look at one of the first few posts, there are actually pictures which show you what they look like. I have put Turing down as my first choice. :smile:

Quick Reply