The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rovensie
Durham just emailed me saying that I'm allocated to Hatfield College. I really love that college and I'm starting to think about firming Durham and just go there :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't you leave me. :wink:
Reply 161
I got my feedback from Kings and they sais that they were impressed by my grades and essays but basically I ****ed up the interview. Im going to apply again yayyy
Original post by RainbowVeins
Don't you leave me. :wink:

You jump (into the competition of Cambridge), I watch :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You jump (into the competition of Cambridge), I watch :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not nice darling :wink:
Original post by RainbowVeins
That's not nice darling :wink:

Allllllright I'll be gooooooooood boss

Before we turn this into a Valentine's thread :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone else still not received feedback from cambridge? I sent my request like five weeks ago and still nothing.. I feel so in limbo :frown:
Reply 166
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Has anyone else still not received feedback from cambridge? I sent my request like five weeks ago and still nothing.. I feel so in limbo :frown:

Me too!:frown: It's been 4 and a half weeks for me. Are you thinking of reapplying?
Original post by sr-96
Me too!:frown: It's been 4 and a half weeks for me. Are you thinking of reapplying?

Oh nice to know someone in the same position! It's so disconcerting..
And I don't know, I feel quite conflicted about the whole thing, I am genuinely devastated and strugglibg to get over it but on the other hand I just wanna go and study history!! What about you?? What subject? :smile:
Reply 168
Oh nice to know someone in the same position! It's so disconcerting..
And I don't know, I feel quite conflicted about the whole thing, I am genuinely devastated and strugglibg to get over it but on the other hand I just wanna go and study history!! What about you?? What subject? :smile:

I know! What college did you apply to?
I know exactly what you mean:tongue: What do you think let you down? Are there any other unis that you really want to go to? I'm quite confused on what to do :s-smilie: Economics:smile:
Original post by sr-96
I know! What college did you apply to?
I know exactly what you mean:tongue: What do you think let you down? Are there any other unis that you really want to go to? I'm quite confused on what to do :s-smilie: Economics:smile:

I applied to Peterhouse :P
It's so nice to meet people on here who completely feel exactly the same as me!

Also, I am genuinely not sure... my UMS was way above average, my essays, reference, ps etc... I mean, everyone at my college (and I mean this) genuinely thought I was a dead cert to get in, including teachers, which made it harder I guess... I thought one of my interviews went very well but in the other one, one of the interviewers, really hated him, kept interrupting me and being so so horrible.. I think he took a complete instant dislike to me if I'm honest.

It's just so confusing and upsetting and I feel so in limbo...
I was going to firm KCL but I revisited yesterday and really just didnt get the feel... I really do honestly like Manchester, and I sort of want to firm, but everyone keeps telling me I'd be underselling myself if I went there. My head of 6th keeps telling me its a travesty that i didnt get in, that I should certainly reapply. But I'n not sure whether I really want to put my life on hold for Cambridge. I'm pretty sure that, say I firm Manchester, a year down the line, I'll have forgotten about Cambridge... but there will surely always be that 'what if?' about it. And thats why I've started to consider reapplying I suppose.

I've been trying to pretend I don't care, being excessively happy, and for a while I genuinely did start to believe I was okay with it. But it's sort of just hit me that I'm not okay AT ALL with this... I just can't accept that its over. I feel like I'm grieving, like a massive part of my life for like 4 years has been just ripped out of me, brutally and anonymously and it's so so horrible :frown: ... do you feel like that?
Reply 170
I applied to Peterhouse :P
It's so nice to meet people on here who completely feel exactly the same as me!

Also, I am genuinely not sure... my UMS was way above average, my essays, reference, ps etc... I mean, everyone at my college (and I mean this) genuinely thought I was a dead cert to get in, including teachers, which made it harder I guess... I thought one of my interviews went very well but in the other one, one of the interviewers, really hated him, kept interrupting me and being so so horrible.. I think he took a complete instant dislike to me if I'm honest.

It's just so confusing and upsetting and I feel so in limbo...
I was going to firm KCL but I revisited yesterday and really just didnt get the feel... I really do honestly like Manchester, and I sort of want to firm, but everyone keeps telling me I'd be underselling myself if I went there. My head of 6th keeps telling me its a travesty that i didnt get in, that I should certainly reapply. But I'n not sure whether I really want to put my life on hold for Cambridge. I'm pretty sure that, say I firm Manchester, a year down the line, I'll have forgotten about Cambridge... but there will surely always be that 'what if?' about it. And thats why I've started to consider reapplying I suppose.

I've been trying to pretend I don't care, being excessively happy, and for a while I genuinely did start to believe I was okay with it. But it's sort of just hit me that I'm not okay AT ALL with this... I just can't accept that its over. I feel like I'm grieving, like a massive part of my life for like 4 years has been just ripped out of me, brutally and anonymously and it's so so horrible :frown: ... do you feel like that?

It definitely is:smile:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, your applications sounds really strong! I'd be really happy to go to my second choice, but I haven't got an offer and I doubt I'll get one because it's also really competitive:tongue:

To be honest, I only started thinking about applying to Oxbridge after results day last year because I never really considered myself to be' Oxbridge material' so it hasn't really been my life long dream or anything. I was gutted for about a day but I kind of expected it after being re interviewed so now I'm just trying to formulate a plan for when A levels finish, onwards and upwards!:smile: I'm so sorry you feel that way:frown:, but honestly there are lots of other good universities out there/ a gap year can be fun and worthwhile! :-)
Original post by sr-96
It definitely is:smile:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, your applications sounds really strong! I'd be really happy to go to my second choice, but I haven't got an offer and I doubt I'll get one because it's also really competitive:tongue:

To be honest, I only started thinking about applying to Oxbridge after results day last year because I never really considered myself to be' Oxbridge material' so it hasn't really been my life long dream or anything. I was gutted for about a day but I kind of expected it after being re interviewed so now I'm just trying to formulate a plan for when A levels finish, onwards and upwards!:smile: I'm so sorry you feel that way:frown:, but honestly there are lots of other good universities out there/ a gap year can be fun and worthwhile! :-)

thanks :smile: that genuinely did make me feel lots better!

To be honest the only thing that makes me not want to go to Manchester is distance.. I am from Brighton so as you can imagine its pretty far! But apart from that I really love it :smile:

Which is your 2nd choice? :smile:good luck with it!
Reply 172
thanks :smile: that genuinely did make me feel lots better!

To be honest the only thing that makes me not want to go to Manchester is distance.. I am from Brighton so as you can imagine its pretty far! But apart from that I really love it :smile:

Which is your 2nd choice? :smile:good luck with it!

Aww I'm glad:tongue:

That's awesome! I can totally understand the whole thing about 'underselling yourself' though:redface:

LSE! Thank you :smile: Do let me know if you decide to reapply, I think I'm just going to see what happens on results day and take it from there:smile:
Original post by sr-96
Aww I'm glad:tongue:

That's awesome! I can totally understand the whole thing about 'underselling yourself' though:redface:

LSE! Thank you :smile: Do let me know if you decide to reapply, I think I'm just going to see what happens on results day and take it from there:smile:

Yeah I think I might do that... if I end up with 3A*s I might rethink.. but who knows!? I am really very reluctant to put my life on hold though, I am passionate about history and realy just wanna study it right now! :P
Reply 174
Yeah I think I might do that... if I end up with 3A*s I might rethink.. but who knows!? I am really very reluctant to put my life on hold though, I am passionate about history and realy just wanna study it right now! :P

Sounds like a plan!:smile: I'm sure you'll do well at whatever university given how passionate you are:biggrin:
Original post by sr-96
Sounds like a plan!:smile: I'm sure you'll do well at whatever university given how passionate you are:biggrin:

thanks so much :smile: good luck with LSE... let me know! :wink: :smile:
IAL results day in 2 weeks, I'm totally done with ums. I'd be lucky if it doesn't fall below auto pool line...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
Alright I got some offers yesterday. I still think Im going to apply again since they were happy with everything else except my interview and when you keep in mind that I spoke the whole interview about books I hadn't even read (although that was my own fault, I panicked) it isnt that bad. I also took a look at the statistics and what on EARTH drove me to apply to King's???? About one sixth of their English applicants get a place which makes it probably the most competitive college for English. I checked some other colleges now and for example Peterhouse - perfectly perfect and not nearly as competitive as King's. Pembroke looks very nice too.

The only thing that keeps putting me off is that if I don't get in Cambridge the second time, will my reapplying disadvantage me in other unis? Good luck with your results!
Original post by Rala
Alright I got some offers yesterday. I still think Im going to apply again since they were happy with everything else except my interview and when you keep in mind that I spoke the whole interview about books I hadn't even read (although that was my own fault, I panicked) it isnt that bad. I also took a look at the statistics and what on EARTH drove me to apply to King's???? About one sixth of their English applicants get a place which makes it probably the most competitive college for English. I checked some other colleges now and for example Peterhouse - perfectly perfect and not nearly as competitive as King's. Pembroke looks very nice too.

The only thing that keeps putting me off is that if I don't get in Cambridge the second time, will my reapplying disadvantage me in other unis? Good luck with your results!

Some universities don't like gap year students because they feel that their skills could shrink during the year when they're out of school. However this mostly applies to sciences only and as you're applying for English, I think you will be able to keep your skills or even advance them through reading and analysing texts.

And if you're worried about the universities feeling weird about seeing your application in two consecutive cycles, well I was worried about this as well but people told me that if they gave you an offer for the first time, they have no reason to reject you just because they've seen you (as long as you have good grades & ps)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Some universities don't like gap year students because they feel that their skills could shrink during the year when they're out of school. However this mostly applies to sciences only and as you're applying for English, I think you will be able to keep your skills or even advance them through reading and analysing texts.

And if you're worried about the universities feeling weird about seeing your application in two consecutive cycles, well I was worried about this as well but people told me that if they gave you an offer for the first time, they have no reason to reject you just because they've seen you (as long as you have good grades & ps)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending