The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmam
I haven't done much work over this half term either. I start my full time teaching practice on Monday not sure how I feel about it.

So you're staying on the course? Have you sorted things out? X
Original post by bonniex123
So you're staying on the course? Have you sorted things out? X

So far. Apprently things have been sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
So far. Apprently things have been sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am so glad to hear this!!!! How do you feel?

I have been having such a good time this placement (so far, knock on wood!). I have actually felt like a proper teacher. Desperate to get a job and get my own room and things.
Original post by peony flowers
I am so glad to hear this!!!! How do you feel?

I have been having such a good time this placement (so far, knock on wood!). I have actually felt like a proper teacher. Desperate to get a job and get my own room and things.

Im not sure really, Im kind of expecting something to happen to mess it up again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tomorrow I start placement full time and I'm so excited that I could possibly explode :biggrin:

Original post by alabelle
That sounds lovely! Very jealous :redface:

Only issue is now that I know how to start her up and take her out, it's all I want to do. Don't think I'll get much work done trundling around on the boat tbh!

Original post by gemmam
Im not sure really, Im kind of expecting something to happen to mess it up again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so glad to hear that they got things sorted for you! I know it's hard but try and stay positive and hopefully it'll all go okay from here. As long as you can get your hours, half the battle is won.
So this is the big chunk coming up for me now. 6 weeks worth of placement 2 while completing research for two assignments. Cant believe how quick this is all going! Over half way through the course now :/
Original post by Ratchit99
So this is the big chunk coming up for me now. 6 weeks worth of placement 2 while completing research for two assignments. Cant believe how quick this is all going! Over half way through the course now :/

It is terrifying how quickly it's going. I start my research dissertation for my next block of placement and I'm just worried that the weeks fly by a little too quickly. Probably a sign of how much I enjoy being at school, but not necessarily useful when having to juggle uni stuff in there too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i know what you mean. Ive done 5 weeks at this placement already, only 11 left or so, with a break for easter in between!
In some ways i want to get to my nqt position and start going, but the other part of me is terrified that Im not even going to pass all of this year !
Yeah i know what you mean. Ive done 5 weeks at this placement already, only 11 left or so, with a break for easter in between!
In some ways i want to get to my nqt position and start going, but the other part of me is terrified that Im not even going to pass all of this year !

I've done 4 at mine but with occasional uni days thrown in. From tomorrow I think I only have 4 more uni days before the end of placement. I feel really settled here and I absolutely love teaching but I can definitely see why they say the PGCE is stressful now. It's not that it's all big stuff, it's just juggling so many little things that makes it difficult.
I start my second placement tomorrow. Really nervous! I found first placement difficult, but I'm worried that the second is a massive step up and I don't think I'll be able to make the jump :/
I'm starting to stress out that I don't even have an interview yet :O I only submitted my application just over a month ago, yet it still says awaiting references. Am I right to assume they won't offer me an interview until they receive those references? and then what happens if the tutors I'm waiting on - from my old Uni decide to take ages or not even do them :confused:

(this is for a PGCE course in Further Education)
Original post by clara_oswald
I'm starting to stress out that I don't even have an interview yet :O I only submitted my application just over a month ago, yet it still says awaiting references. Am I right to assume they won't offer me an interview until they receive those references? and then what happens if the tutors I'm waiting on - from my old Uni decide to take ages or not even do them :confused:

(this is for a PGCE course in Further Education)

Your entire application only goes through once your references have been completed, so the uni wouldn't have even seen your application. You need to get on to your references asap.
Original post by Airfairy
Your entire application only goes through once your references have been completed, so the uni wouldn't have even seen your application. You need to get on to your references asap.

Is that ucas though? as the application was submitted on the university website and I had a message after submitting it saying it's being reviewed but when I go on the reference section it says 'not yet received' under each one :redface:
Is that ucas though? as the application was submitted on the university website and I had a message after submitting it saying it's being reviewed but when I go on the reference section it says 'not yet received' under each one :redface:

Oh that's different. Sorry, I have no idea how the university application would work. It is not unusual to wait for a month for interview, but I'd have thought they would wait for references before you would get an interview.
Is anyone doing a PGCE in modern foreign languages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds to me like the people you proposed for references havent sent theirs in yet. You need to chase your references and get them to submit them.
If they say they have then i would call ucas.
How's everyone feeling on the last day of half term?

We've only had four days off but it's been wonderful working from home instead. Wish it were like this more often! I'm dreading the early start and lectures again tomorrow :frown:. But we're in a school on the afternoon so musn't complain. :smile:
Original post by alabelle
How's everyone feeling on the last day of half term?

We've only had four days off but it's been wonderful working from home instead. Wish it were like this more often! I'm dreading the early start and lectures again tomorrow :frown:. But we're in a school on the afternoon so musn't complain. :smile:

Ugh, I'm feeling crap. Dreading tomorrow. Will be glad when the week is over and I'm back in the swing on things. I've had a total of three weeks off doing nothing, so I'm having to get back into everything!
Its occured to me that i have the sum total of 11 weeks left of placement 2 and then thats pretty much it. I got my nqt spot before xmas, but at this moment the thought of taking over on an nqt timetable and being solely responsible for pupil progress etc seems the most terrifying thing ever. I dont think im anywhere near ready for it!!
Its occured to me that i have the sum total of 11 weeks left of placement 2 and then thats pretty much it. I got my nqt spot before xmas, but at this moment the thought of taking over on an nqt timetable and being solely responsible for pupil progress etc seems the most terrifying thing ever. I dont think im anywhere near ready for it!!

I didn't feel ready for it right up until the 1st September. Eventually you just get used to it :smile: well done for getting an NQT job so early! Must be such a relief :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest