The Student Room Group

Sign the petition to ban Halal slaughter today!

If you're against the cruel practice of Halal slaughter, please sign this petition on Change.org. Only 375 more signatures are needed to reach the goal at the time of writing this post, TSR could swing it!

Also, please share this on social media! We could easily reach the goal tonight and get this petition sent to the government!

The fact that Halal butchers are immune from the law against slaughtering animals without pre stunning them, is blatantly wrong. It is unacceptable, that in a civilised society, innocent animals can be tortured to death in this way. Therefore, we the undersigned demand that the vulgar and cruel practise of Halal Slaughter be banned in the United Kingdom.

https://www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon-elizabeth-truss-mp-ban-halal-slaughter-in-the-united-kingdom
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So long as the animal is stunned before I don't have a problem with Halal slaughter, and the majority of halal animals are stunned prior to having their neck slit. I also support mandatory labelling of Halal meats. But I can't sign a petition to ban all Halal meat in general. Maybe one banning the exemption of stunning for religious purposes but that is really something the EU should implement.
I've already signed it. It's bad enough that we have to kill for nutrition, but to make animals suffer needlessly on the basis that some god who almost certainly doesn't exist demanded thousands of years ago that animals must be slaughtered in a particular way is selfish.
Lol good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I've already signed it. It's bad enough that we have to kill for nutrition, but to make animals suffer needlessly on the basis that some god who almost certainly doesn't exist demanded thousands of years ago that animals must be slaughtered in a particular way is selfish.

Kosher meat??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elhm1800

Same rule. I don't agree with kosher meat either.
Reply 6
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Same rule. I don't agree with kosher meat either.

So is this double standards or what? Where's the petition to ban kosher meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm not gonna sign a petition that focuses only on Halal and that treats all Halal as being non-pre-stunned. I would happily sign one (and feel like I have already, though could be mistaken) that demands the removal of the exemption in law for religious slaughter that allows for animals to be slaughtered without being pre-stunned.

EDIT:

I'd also happily sign a petition demanding labeling of meat to show whether it has been religiously slaughtered (and in what way / which religion).

Found the e-petition I had in mind. It currently has ~115,500 signatures and is still open for more. The government has already responded to it, however, and not in a pleasing (to me) manner.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by elhm1800
So is this double standards or what? Where's the petition to ban kosher meat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's either because people have more negative attitudes of Islam than Judaism or there aren't as many kosher farms.
How about the chicken farms in the uk that keep chickens cooped up in battery coops, stunting bone development and making cheap meat for the Mcdonalds you don't blink an eye to consume?
Original post by flibber
It's either because people have more negative attitudes of Islam than Judaism or there aren't as many kosher farms.

IMO this is all about negative + RACIST attitudes towards Islam and other cultures customs/practises!!!
Not only will I never sign any petition to ban Halal or Kosher meats from mainstream consumption, I've already signed petitions to encourage MORE Halal + Kosher acceptance!!! :smile:
There's no room for non-acceptance of ethnic differences in our Society now, we must accept whatever differences other cultures have in the way they do things whether or not we agree with it.
Reply 11
Original post by generic_man

Also, please share this on social media! We could easily reach the goal tonight and get this petition sent to the government!

Don't waste your time, not everyone is ignorant to what proper Halal is all about.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
1500 years ago it was preferable to the alternatives of running the animal off a cliff or bludgeoning it to death. We live in a civilised society now, time to confine this barbaric practice to the history books.

Does that view stretch to all the fast food stores, batrery farms and kosher butchers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImNotMe

Don't waste your time, not everyone is ignorant to what proper Halal is all about.

Thank you, Morgan. :fluffy: The petition's target has now been reached!
1. I don't see how fast food stores are relevant to this.

2. I'm already opposed to battery farming, I don't see how that's relevant to this thread either.

3. It stretches to Kosher by association, it's the same method of slaughter.

So because a handful of ****ty butchers screw up, you're now condemning a practise which properly done is actually very humane: did you know proper halal meat (and kosher I think) has to be organic and free range; you can't battery farm a chicken then mutter a few words over it then sell it as 'halal' in some dirty take away shop in east london. There are good, authentic butchers who are organic and halal and those are the tradional ones..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
A petition against halal slaughter but no petition against kosher slaughter. That is just absolutely stupid!! Double standards at its best. Hatred towards Muslims is not new.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
1500 years ago it was preferable to the alternatives of running the animal off a cliff or bludgeoning it to death. We live in a civilised society now, time to confine this barbaric practice to the history books.

Loool. Yeah because stunning an animal to death is so civilised :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even I would support it if it was actually about animal cruelty, but the reality is, it's about "special treatment and special privileges" from the govt based on religion.
Reply 19
Original post by HAnwar
Loool. Yeah because stunning an animal to death is so civilised :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, absolutely. Knocking an animal out instantly by causing direct brain trauma with a bolt gun is a lot better than letting it bleed out for up to a minute while conscious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending