The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Also, I'll be doing one vac scheme at Easter and one at summer. Should I start applying for direct TCs after the Easter one, or wait til I've done both? :erm:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Also, I'll be doing one vac scheme at Easter and one at summer. Should I start applying for direct TCs after the Easter one, or wait til I've done both? :erm:

You could even apply now and say that you'll be doing vac schemes and what youll be doing/what you hope to learn from them. I was told its perfectly fine to do this if you want to get your applications in early
Original post by J-SP
Might as well wait until you get your exams results from this year before applying (if applicable).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have exams until finals fortunately!

Original post by hkmshire
You could even apply now and say that you'll be doing vac schemes and what youll be doing/what you hope to learn from them. I was told its perfectly fine to do this if you want to get your applications in early

I think I do want to do at least the Easter one so I can use those experiences to help me explain an interest in law on application forms - it's just a question of whether to wait until the summer one is done too. Guess one is probably enough to help with the forms!
Original post by J-SP
Oxford I take it. I'd still wait until the summer. They technically shouldn't offer you until 1 Sept (although many don't stick to that now) and so there isn't the rush to apply like there is for vac schemes.

It's why so many firms won't open for TCs until 1 June.
Posted from TSR Mobile

So there's not really an advantage in applying early for TCs like there is for vac schemes?
Original post by J-SP
No. Except don't leave it until the last week of the deadline (like 90% of applicants do).

Many firms will want to see your collection (or is it mods? I always get confused which is which) results even if they are not formal assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mods are the first year actual exams, collections are the informal ones :smile: That's a shame though as collections are definitely more harshly marked than the real thing!

Thanks so much for all the help you give on this thread :smile:
Where is everyone planning on staying over Summer for the vac schemes? (:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Mods are the first year actual exams, collections are the informal ones :smile: That's a shame though as collections are definitely more harshly marked than the real thing!

Thanks so much for all the help you give on this thread :smile:

I don't think collection marks are taking into account, and if it was it would be extremely dubious. I've had some very generous marking and some terrible marks on account on not caring that much. Freshfields emailed me to ask for my 2nd year grades and I emailed back saying I had all my exams this year and they accepted that.

In a similar situation in that I have a vac scheme for summer. I have an interview for a Freshfields TC and intend to apply to more training contracts when I have time in between revising..
Original post by Defragmentation
Where is everyone planning on staying over Summer for the vac schemes? (:

I'm from London by my friends are considering uni accommodation - places like LSE and Kings let you rent at decent rates apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
I've asked for them in the past when recruiting for TCs, and for those who are vac schemes going forward for TCs. Even if they weren't formally asked for in an application, a lot of academic references provide details of them anyway, so they are thrown into the mix. How much weight is out on them is a different matter though.

It mainly for consistency reasons. Your reviewing pretty much everyone else's grades (the only other exception tends to be those on a year abroad who don't get their grades until much later but they have 2 years worth of results anyway) so it's only fair to ask for them, just as a sense check to whether someone's continuing to do well on the course or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough if recruiters ask for them (I wouldn't know having only applied to one TC so far) but they probably shouldn't put much weight on them. Naturally, everyone takes them far less seriously than real exams (and the conditions they're done in reflects this), and some tutors mark them pretty superficially.
Original post by Horse273
I'm from London by my friends are considering uni accommodation - places like LSE and Kings let you rent at decent rates apparently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just had a look, think I'm gonna have to end up spending the vast majority of my payment on rent :tongue:
For those who have done video interview(s) using launchpad site, d you know if it is at all possible to rewatch your video, because i thought it was? just curious :smile: (also, i've noticed that one video has 'xxx' written at the end and my recent one doesn't - does this mean viewed or something?)
Original post by TykeDragon
For those who have done video interview(s) using launchpad site, d you know if it is at all possible to rewatch your video, because i thought it was? just curious :smile: (also, i've noticed that one video has 'xxx' written at the end and my recent one doesn't - does this mean viewed or something?)

I think it's up to the firm whether you're able to review the videos or not. No idea about the xxx. The video I did with them just says "completed" in the status line.
Reply 3452
Original post by TykeDragon

Original post by sg7402a
I think it's up to the firm whether you're able to review the videos or not. No idea about the xxx. The video I did with them just says "completed" in the status line.

Have you got any tips for video interviews please? It's my first one soon :smile:
Does anyone have any tips for a Bristows TC interview?
Original post by LawTC
Have you got any tips for video interviews please? It's my first one soon :smile:

I'd say practise in front of the camera before you start.
what do people think about taking a year out before applying again for TCs? I'm graduating this year and have so far received PFOs so it's not looking too great...
Original post by LawTC

Who with?
Some general tips:

Make sure you dress appropriately and formally.

Make sure you're in well-lit surroundings and that what you can see on screen is something you'd be happy for an employer to see (I did mine against a blank wall)

Have a glass of water handy in case you get nervous dry mouth, there are normally some breaks you can have a swig in

Make sure you look at the webcam/camera, and not at the very distracting image of yourself, otherwise it looks like you aren't making eye contact

Prepare well, do your research (obviously)

Original post by Toasty199
what do people think about taking a year out before applying again for TCs? I'm graduating this year and have so far received PFOs so it's not looking too great...

If you use it well to gain relevant, helpful experience then it's nothing but an improvement for your applications next year. If you don't use it well then you will be expected to explain yourself. I mean sitting around doing nothing though, mainly, even if you go travelling you can still pick up great skills and experience etc.
Hey, has anybody had a Gateley telephone interview who can share some advice? This will be my first phone interview so I'm a bit nervous! Thank you :smile:
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Well the person I know achieved something similar :smile: I can't remember if it was AAC or ABB. What I would say is try and do as best you can in your first year - a 2.1 or 1st would really help :smile: also any extra-curricular like class rep etc

Original post by hkmshire
As TrainingChopeful said, try and get as much other stuff into your cv and get a 2:1 or first in first year. Some firms - ward hadaway in newcastle for example - do work placements (between a day and a week) throughout the year. If you do stuff like that it'll show extra commitment when you come to make VS applications next year. Also, contact graduate recruitment teams and just ask what their stance on grades is. They'll probably all tell you the same thing - "we judge an application in its entirety" - but speaking to them might start a relationship where you could speak to trainees etc. ie it'll make you stand out a bit more and will show more enthusiasm to that particular firm.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of this, I appreciate it. I will have to work hard now and somehowachieve a 2:1 this year.

Thanks again, wish you all the best with your applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending