The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lochender
lets not pull the piss out of lawn bowls remember that some people on this thread (at least one) actually plays the sport

Yep that would be me haha :smile: I take no offense however I know it was only a joke :smile:
lets not pull the piss out of lawn bowls remember that some people on this thread (at least one) actually plays the sport

Original post by Somevetwannabe
Yep that would be me haha :smile: I take no offense however I know it was only a joke :smile:

I apologise if it caused any offence I was just joking! :smile: I don't have any criticism of the sport, I was just amused that the RVC tried to use that to fob off the £2000 price tag

Posted from TSR Mobile
i am being sarcastic and i am aware that it is all a joke i just couldn't resist seeing what the reaction would be to people finding out the there are many young people (under 30's) who play the sport contrary to popular stereotypes

Aha, fair dos. I personally don't do any organised sport (running around the park with friends once per week is the closest I get to exercise :tongue: ) so I'm in no position to comment really :tongue: Do whatever floats your boat :h:
Original post by Ieda
Whats everyone doing with student finance, has anyone done it and it went ok? If I knew about the money situation I would have not applied RVC and chosen liverpool... I get the minimum loan and its not fair to ask for money every week... Also I got into animal science (6th option) and their asking me to arrange accomodation for 1st of march at nottingham! and ofcourse I want to be a VET, not study animal science...

Have you got a place at the RVC or not? You should get a higher loan living in London vs outside of London. Student finance expects that parents who earn over x amount to be able to supplement their student's loan. Aside from living expenses, you will need to cover the costs of EMS, books, equipment/clothing etc.

Some students work during term time but in reality this is not sustainable for the entirety of your degree due to the high work load and you couldn't do many shifts. I've personally supplemented my loan by working during the summer, but it's never going to be a substantial amount of money since you need to do EMS during your vacation period. I also worked throughout sixth form in the evenings to save up money for uni - this might be an option for you if you want to be less of a burden on your parents? In reality a lot of parents simply end up either giving or lending their children money if their loan won't cover everything.

Don't do another degree if your heart is dead set on being a vet - it's long, not guaranteed to get you a place, and expensive to do a second degree (for which you receive no student loan!). Taking a gap year is a more sensible option - lots of people don't get in 1st time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CanineVet
I apologise if it caused any offence I was just joking! :smile: I don't have any criticism of the sport, I was just amused that the RVC tried to use that to fob off the £2000 price tag

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offense taken at all, I completely understand :smile:
Does anyone know whether Surrey have given out all their interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Have you got a place at the RVC or not? You should get a higher loan living in London vs outside of London. Student finance expects that parents who earn over x amount to be able to supplement their student's loan. Aside from living expenses, you will need to cover the costs of EMS, books, equipment/clothing etc.

Some students work during term time but in reality this is not sustainable for the entirety of your degree due to the high work load and you couldn't do many shifts. I've personally supplemented my loan by working during the summer, but it's never going to be a substantial amount of money since you need to do EMS during your vacation period. I also worked throughout sixth form in the evenings to save up money for uni - this might be an option for you if you want to be less of a burden on your parents? In reality a lot of parents simply end up either giving or lending their children money if their loan won't cover everything.

Don't do another degree if your heart is dead set on being a vet - it's long, not guaranteed to get you a place, and expensive to do a second degree (for which you receive no student loan!). Taking a gap year is a more sensible option - lots of people don't get in 1st time.

I am in my final year studying BSc(Hons) Bioveterinary Science. I missed out on the grades I needed for vet school and was still determined to be a vet. The last three years have absolutely flown by and it hasn't felt long at all! I have had the most amazing three years with great experiences, and I have made life long friends and met my boyfriend here at my first uni and I wouldn't change it for the world if I went back and could do it again. I have had three extra years of learning and work experience and have matured a lot as a person, I am much more prepared for vet school at 21 than I was at 18! I have also already experienced three years of uni so have no concerns about vet school and feel fully prepared! In many other countries you even have to do another degree before your vet degree! I have had 3 interviews and an offer and I'm waiting to hear back from the other two. Yes a place isn't gaurenteed but if you are willing to do another degree first then your passion and experience will definitely show at interview. As for money if you are 'dead set' on being a vet money won't stop you! Please don't put other applicants off doing a degree first, everyone is different and it should be their choice to choose between retaking, gap years and doing another degree. For me doing a degree was the best decision I have ever made and now I can't wait to go to vet school in September fully prepared! If you really want to be a vet doing another degree first is worth it! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry, this has probably been asked before but anyone know when Nottingham start handing out decisions? Is their last interview this Wednesday or are there still a few dates to go?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vethopeful1996
Sorry, this has probably been asked before but anyone know when Nottingham start handing out decisions? Is their last interview this Wednesday or are there still a few dates to go?

I have been told that next week is the last interview and in the past offers have started the week after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this isn't strictly vet med based, so ignore this if you want.

I've got an offer from Bristol and I know they are open to people deferring even at this late stage in the application. I been thinking that a gap year is a once in a life time opportunity and would be good to gain experience, maturity and money, making me more prepared for university and life in general, so I'm thinking about possibly asking to defer.
I like the idea of travelling (possibly New Zealand or North America), to maybe work or just explore. However, I know none of my friends would be able to come too as they are off to university. Also, an entire year to play with is a very daunting prospect and I wouldn't quite know what to do with myself or how to go about planning it. I do not think I am prepared to go it alone and I'm not sure how I could find friends with similar interests who are willing to travel with me. I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions or tips? Or should I just plunge strait into university (grades permitting)? :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5770
Original post by DKR4810
I am in my final year studying BSc(Hons) Bioveterinary Science. I missed out on the grades I needed for vet school and was still determined to be a vet. The last three years have absolutely flown by and it hasn't felt long at all! I have had the most amazing three years with great experiences, and I have made life long friends and met my boyfriend here at my first uni and I wouldn't change it for the world if I went back and could do it again. I have had three extra years of learning and work experience and have matured a lot as a person, I am much more prepared for vet school at 21 than I was at 18! I have also already experienced three years of uni so have no concerns about vet school and feel fully prepared! In many other countries you even have to do another degree before your vet degree! I have had 3 interviews and an offer and I'm waiting to hear back from the other two. Yes a place isn't gaurenteed but if you are willing to do another degree first then your passion and experience will definitely show at interview. As for money if you are 'dead set' on being a vet money won't stop you! Please don't put other applicants off doing a degree first, everyone is different and it should be their choice to choose between retaking, gap years and doing another degree. For me doing a degree was the best decision I have ever made and now I can't wait to go to vet school in September fully prepared! If you really want to be a vet doing another degree first is worth it! :smile:

I could not agree more with this I am in exactly the same position 3 interviews, 1 offer so far. I wouldn't change it for the world I have had the most amazing time I loved doing my degree and I am so ready now which I wasn't before. I am more mature and able to make the most of my future learning (I know that sounds boring but it's true).

It's not for everyone I know that, especially those who can't afford it but it's been the best.

I didn't get 3 As at a level and I had moments when I thought I'd never get to apply to vet school, but I'm a strong believer that there are many paths leading to the same place and some of us just need to take a slightly less followed path to get there.

So, emotional rant, it might seem like the end of the world not getting in, doing another degree like biovet first, but I think a fair few of us would say we are glad we did and are in a great position now.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
kinda unrelated, but I'm just factoring in all the finances now and one thing im not sure about cost wise (after sorting out accom, tuition, travel and food) is costings for equipment/books etc. anyone hazard a price on those per year of a vet degree?
Original post by SJS11
I could not agree more with this I am in exactly the same position 3 interviews, 1 offer so far. I wouldn't change it for the world I have had the most amazing time I loved doing my degree and I am so ready now which I wasn't before. I am more mature and able to make the most of my future learning (I know that sounds boring but it's true).

It's not for everyone I know that, especially those who can't afford it but it's been the best.

I didn't get 3 As at a level and I had moments when I thought I'd never get to apply to vet school, but I'm a strong believer that there are many paths leading to the same place and some of us just need to take a slightly less followed path to get there.

So, emotional rant, it might seem like the end of the world not getting in, doing another degree like biovet first, but I think a fair few of us would say we are glad we did and are in a great position now.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to hear you are in the same position and congratulations on the offer, it means so much when it has taken that bit longer :smile: it's so nice to have met so many people at interviews that have done the same too :smile:
Original post by DKR4810

Would those taking the graduate route be prepared to explain the financial implications of taking a degree first. I may be facing that option very soon and I simply don't know what the cost implications are. Help... please? For eg, how many more years of fees and loans do you get given that you have already had 3? Is it still 9k pa for the additional 5 years or do they charge extra because you already have a first degree? I saw this on a uni website regarding taking an equivalent level qualification....

"Students categorised as studying for an ELQ may be charged a tuition fee rate that is higher than the standard published rates. This is because in 2008 the government announced that it would no longer provide funding to support universities"

does this apply to vet courses?
Original post by Sax123
Nothing yet from RVC :frown: was this a kind of second wave then? It's just that I think there were only two lots last year and I was wondering if anyone knew what % of offers/rejections had gone out and were left??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that there's 92 people on the facebook group so far...which means that roughly about 25% of the interviewees now have offers, so there's going to be more to come, don't worry!
Original post by greencat55
I know this isn't strictly vet med based, so ignore this if you want.

I've got an offer from Bristol and I know they are open to people deferring even at this late stage in the application. I been thinking that a gap year is a once in a life time opportunity and would be good to gain experience, maturity and money, making me more prepared for university and life in general, so I'm thinking about possibly asking to defer.
I like the idea of travelling (possibly New Zealand or North America), to maybe work or just explore. However, I know none of my friends would be able to come too as they are off to university. Also, an entire year to play with is a very daunting prospect and I wouldn't quite know what to do with myself or how to go about planning it. I do not think I am prepared to go it alone and I'm not sure how I could find friends with similar interests who are willing to travel with me. I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions or tips? Or should I just plunge strait into university (grades permitting)? :smile:
Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have loved to have applied for a gap year but I unfortunately can't afford to do it...but what I did instead was I went to Nepal for a month with a youth group made up mostly of people I'd never met, and it was awesome! I'd recommend maybe signing up to Operation Raleigh or the British Exploration Society and going on a trip, since you'll make loads of new friends through that and still get the once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Original post by wanttobevet
Would those taking the graduate route be prepared to explain the financial implications of taking a degree first. I may be facing that option very soon and I simply don't know what the cost implications are. Help... please? For eg, how many more years of fees and loans do you get given that you have already had 3? Is it still 9k pa for the additional 5 years or do they charge extra because you already have a first degree? I saw this on a uni website regarding taking an equivalent level qualification....

"Students categorised as studying for an ELQ may be charged a tuition fee rate that is higher than the standard published rates. This is because in 2008 the government announced that it would no longer provide funding to support universities"

does this apply to vet courses?

For your second degree you are eligible for a maintenance loan still but not tuition fees which are currently £9,000 a year for graduates, they were up to £28,000 when I first started my degree but have been lowered thank goodness! I'm planning on paying through a mix of sponsorship, grants, savings, working and help from family. Lots of people manage it and most unis will set up a payment plan for you so you don't need to pay it all at once :smile:
Original post by mollyvet
I would have loved to have applied for a gap year but I unfortunately can't afford to do it...but what I did instead was I went to Nepal for a month with a youth group made up mostly of people I'd never met, and it was awesome! I'd recommend maybe signing up to Operation Raleigh or the British Exploration Society and going on a trip, since you'll make loads of new friends through that and still get the once-in-a-lifetime experience!

That sounds great! :smile: Did you do that during the summer?
Reply 5778
Original post by DKR4810
For your second degree you are eligible for a maintenance loan still but not tuition fees which are currently £9,000 a year for graduates, they were up to £28,000 when I first started my degree but have been lowered thank goodness! I'm planning on paying through a mix of sponsorship, grants, savings, working and help from family. Lots of people manage it and most unis will set up a payment plan for you so you don't need to pay it all at once :smile:

My understanding is that you don't get a maintenance loan or tuition fee loan but you can get a maintenance grant if you are in the right financial category.
This is only my understanding though so don't take it as law!
The fees are £9000 a year thankfully they have been lowered!
I am lucky that I am able to loan from my parents so I am not all familiar with the various grants you can get as I am on the lowest loans already in my current degrees.
I have a friend in second year who I think managed to find some grants somewhere but she said it was quite fiddly and hard to find. Maybe careers will be able to help you find some sources of funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SJS11
My understanding is that you don't get a maintenance loan or tuition fee loan but you can get a maintenance grant if you are in the right financial category.
This is only my understanding though so don't take it as law!
The fees are £9000 a year thankfully they have been lowered!
I am lucky that I am able to loan from my parents so I am not all familiar with the various grants you can get as I am on the lowest loans already in my current degrees.
I have a friend in second year who I think managed to find some grants somewhere but she said it was quite fiddly and hard to find. Maybe careers will be able to help you find some sources of funding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get a full maintenance loan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending