The Student Room Group

Launch of TSR Newspaper

Right then, Sena5 asked about the newspaper which got me thinking. A newspaper focusing on just the MUN is unlikely to work but a newspaper focusing on news as whole will.

The idea is this. We set up newspaper with authors from all over the site writing about lots of different things they find important, we edit them together and publish it.

News is dominated by the big names but there is not a newspaper giving a student perspective on the world around us. We need to be ambitious in trying to start one

Spoiler

Edminzodo
QFA

thirdcultureteen
QFA

Mobbsy91
QFA

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
Right then, Sena5 asked about the newspaper which got me thinking. A newspaper focusing on just the MUN is unlikely to work but a newspaper focusing on news as whole will.

The idea is this. We set up newspaper with authors from all over the site writing about lots of different things they find important, we edit them together and publish it.

News is dominated by the big names but there is not a newspaper giving a student perspective on the world around us. We need to be ambitious in trying to start one

I really like this idea Nigel. It could be a great success!
Reply 2
I like it.
Original post by adam9317
I really like this idea Nigel. It could be a great success!

It will be lots of hard work to find people willing to write something but with thousands of students, some with blogs, finding writers cannot be difficult. It will need support from TSR to have a platform to publish it on.
Reply 4
I would suggest asking CT for their help somehow but this is a really good idea.
Sounds great. Let me know how this develops. :smile:
Really awesome idea!!!
Reply 7
It will be lots of hard work to find people willing to write something but with thousands of students, some with blogs, finding writers cannot be difficult. It will need support from TSR to have a platform to publish it on.

What I think is make a newspaper with all the articles, picts and etc on an online "Make your own newspaper online". Then post it on a site as an image and then attach it on TSR with the IMG and /IMG tags. Then everyone can read it and give their comments below. Let this be done as this is the first time you are going to do. Then we can see for further developments by editing and making it more advanced. :wink:

I've got more ideas for it :smile:

You can hold threads for MUNees to vote with title :- Best MUN Newbie, Best debater of the year, Most controversial Mun membee, most friendly member, and etc..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sena5
What I think is make a newspaper with all the articles, picts and etc on an online "Make your own newspaper online". Then post it on a site as an image and then attach it on TSR with the IMG and /IMG tags. Then everyone can read it and give their comments below. Let this be done as this is the first time you are going to do. Then we can see for further developments by editing and making it more advanced. :wink:

I've got more ideas for it :smile:

You can hold threads for MUNees to vote with title :- Best MUN Newbie, Best debater of the year, Most controversial Mun membee, most friendly member, and etc..

Ben the editor do you want to continue in that role? I fully support lighthearted voting threads to award people with titles but I think it's important we choose one thread with informal voting rather than overcrowding the place with such threads.

I think this newspaper might just have a chance of succeeding provided the scope of it is expanded a bit more. I have been thinking about names and the only one to jump out at me is TSR Monthly - not very creative I know. Do you have contacts outside of the MUN who might be able to write an opinion piece on something?
Ben the editor do you want to continue in that role? I fully support lighthearted voting threads to award people with titles but I think it's important we choose one thread with informal voting rather than overcrowding the place with such threads.

I think this newspaper might just have a chance of succeeding provided the scope of it is expanded a bit more. I have been thinking about names and the only one to jump out at me is TSR Monthly - not very creative I know. Do you have contacts outside of the MUN who might be able to write an opinion piece on something?

TSR Monthly is quite a classic sounding name which is why it could work :nods:

I'd be very interested to see this progress
It's a great idea; and will be a great space to advertise here and the MHoC.
Brilliant. Hopefully I can contribute, somehow...? :smile:
Reply 12

Well, I have many followers but, how do I pass the message to all of them?

I was never informed that i was removed from the editor. I am the MUN Deputy Editor. Aren't I??
Original post by Sena5
Well, I have many followers but, how do I pass the message to all of them?

I was never informed that i was removed from the editor. I am the MUN Deputy Editor. Aren't I??

No, you can continue to be the editor. I was not aware the MUN newspaper was still around since there had not been an addition for quite some time.

What do you think the key topics covered should be?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
No, you can continue to be the editor. I was not aware the MUN newspaper was still around since there had not been an addition for quite some time.

What do you think the key topics covered should be?

Oh I see. That's okay, dear :console:

Debates, interviews from recent new MUNees and/or experienced ones to know about the experience from the MUN.
International issues and cartoons all MUN, UN, International related etc.
Original post by Sena5
Oh I see. That's okay, dear :console:

Debates, interviews from recent new MUNees and/or experienced ones to know about the experience from the MUN.
International issues and cartoons all MUN, UN, International related etc.

That is great but I do think there needs to be current affairs, sports, and opinion columns on any issue important to someone to expand the reader base.
(edited 9 years ago)
That is great but I do think there needs to be current affairs, sports, and opinion columns on any issue important to someone to expand the reader base.

I agree with this *nods* It'd be great to expand this to more than just those who are interested in International affairs/UN...
Have a word with Rory/Sena if you need templates from the old MUNthly editions.

I can also supply Ad Hoc templates if it helps prepare the first issue.
Reply 18

Agreed
That's why i mentioned etc behind my post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending