WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I've updated my original post for CG3.7
Reply 21
Original post by RonanWalters
I've updated my original post for CG3.7

Woah thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've updated my original post for the CG3.3 section. Sorry if it's not the best, was quite difficult to know what extras to add. (: The original guy who had done it had actually done a really good job of it.

Has anyone started revising for the exam yet, or? (:

Edit:

I've also updated CG1.1 since I had missed out a bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nearly finished the coursework, planning on starting revision after that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I've updated my original post for the CG3.3 section. Sorry if it's not the best, was quite difficult to know what extras to add. (: The original guy who had done it had actually done a really good job of it.

Has anyone started revising for the exam yet, or? (:

Edit:

I've also updated CG1.1 since I had missed out a bit.

Decent! Thanks. I intend to start revising for it next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Casually Formal
Nearly finished the coursework, planning on starting revision after that

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sections of the coursework do you have remaining?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance documentation and the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Casually Formal
Maintenance documentation and the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

How'd you find testing and evaluation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
How is everyone's revision going? We just had a mock in this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How is everyone's revision going? We just had a mock in this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, how did you find it?

I haven't really done much revision for Computing just yet. Been focusing more on my Maths and Physics, since I think Computing is my more stronger subject. I don't think we'll be getting a mock till either just before, or just after the Easter holidays.

I've updated my original post with revision notes for each topic, in case anyone wants to take a look at them. Since with Computing, all you practically have to do is memorize the mark schemes / definitions, etc. and a bit of application, that's what they include for each topic.
Reply 30
Oh wow, how did you find it?

I haven't really done much revision for Computing just yet. Been focusing more on my Maths and Physics, since I think Computing is my more stronger subject. I don't think we'll be getting a mock till either just before, or just after the Easter holidays.

I've updated my original post with revision notes for each topic, in case anyone wants to take a look at them. Since with Computing, all you practically have to do is memorize the mark schemes / definitions, etc. and a bit of application, that's what they include for each topic.

Well that said we had a mock on all we had covered so far! Still got Software Engineering and loads of other chapters to go! Got 116/119 which I was ecstatic with :smile: That said I can't be complacent because it wasn't every chapter! Just number systems, OS, databases, networks and algorithms.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work. I'm sure it will pay off for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well that said we had a mock on all we had covered so far! Still got Software Engineering and loads of other chapters to go! Got 116/119 which I was ecstatic with :smile: That said I can't be complacent because it wasn't every chapter! Just number systems, OS, databases, networks and algorithms.

Thanks so much for all of your hard work. I'm sure it will pay off for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, congrats man! Ah, I see.

Really hoping I can get Computing to be my A/A* grade. Resitting CG1 to try and really boost my grade up. How do you find everything so far? (Obviously not too hard, considering you're already getting really good grades (; )
Reply 32
Oh wow, congrats man! Ah, I see.

Really hoping I can get Computing to be my A/A* grade. Resitting CG1 to try and really boost my grade up. How do you find everything so far? (Obviously not too hard, considering you're already getting really good grades (; )

Aw aha, my teacher created the mock himself so I'm convinced he just made it full of easy past paper questions! Don't let that score deceive you aha!
Everything so far seems to be ... Manageable. That said it is a lot to remember! WJEC are very specific as well, so when I think I have something conquered, I probably don't because there's certain phrases I'm missing in my answers.

How about you? Have you done topics beyond those I've done? If so, how have you found them comparatively?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Aw aha, my teacher created the mock himself so I'm convinced he just made it full of easy past paper questions! Don't let that score deceive you aha!
Everything so far seems to be ... Manageable. That said it is a lot to remember! WJEC are very specific as well, so when I think I have something conquered, I probably don't because there's certain phrases I'm missing in my answers.

How about you? Have you done topics beyond those I've done? If so, how have you found them comparatively?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, WJEC can be a real pain sometimes when it comes to answers questions that are to do with definitions, etc. Definitely feels like we have to remember a lot more this year compared to last year. But then again, there are some things we weren't from last year which are carried onto this year.

We've covered 3.1, 3.2, 3.2, 3.7, 3.8 & 3.9 - but haven't finished them yet. Just been going through them bit by bit. I've found it OK I guess so far. Just been making sure I keep on top of it.

You may not need it, but for anyone else reading this my best advice would honestly be to just learn the mark schemes (Obviously make sure you understand it all and know how to do the application questions). But there is only 1 year left on this course and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they made our paper we're sitting a good year or two ago. So there would be no point for them to do questions that are whole lot different to past years ones, since they're busy preparing for the new course. (Again, obviously don't bank everything on that, but there is a good 85%+ chance that. Plus, past exam papers would back it up since mark schemes / questions show they ask practically the exact same questions and copy and past exam answers).

That's what we've mainly been doing in my lessons in computing, apart from the application stuff such as binary maths, etc. You don't have to listen to me, but that way has been helping me a lot.

Are you look forward to another 3 hour long exam this year again for computing? Haha.
Reply 34
Yeah, WJEC can be a real pain sometimes when it comes to answers questions that are to do with definitions, etc. Definitely feels like we have to remember a lot more this year compared to last year. But then again, there are some things we weren't from last year which are carried onto this year.

We've covered 3.1, 3.2, 3.2, 3.7, 3.8 & 3.9 - but haven't finished them yet. Just been going through them bit by bit. I've found it OK I guess so far. Just been making sure I keep on top of it.

You may not need it, but for anyone else reading this my best advice would honestly be to just learn the mark schemes (Obviously make sure you understand it all and know how to do the application questions). But there is only 1 year left on this course and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they made our paper we're sitting a good year or two ago. So there would be no point for them to do questions that are whole lot different to past years ones, since they're busy preparing for the new course. (Again, obviously don't bank everything on that, but there is a good 85%+ chance that. Plus, past exam papers would back it up since mark schemes / questions show they ask practically the exact same questions and copy and past exam answers).

That's what we've mainly been doing in my lessons in computing, apart from the application stuff such as binary maths, etc. You don't have to listen to me, but that way has been helping me a lot.

Are you look forward to another 3 hour long exam this year again for computing? Haha.

Yeah true about some things continuing!

Sounds like you've covered a lot more than I have aha!

Yeah there's a lot of continuation- I learnt the mark schemes for CG1 last year and got 130/130 aha.

It does help you're completely right :smile: I still have so much more content and haven't finished the coursework yet!!

The 3 hour exam stresses me out less than the thought of the coursework dragging on! haha. You?
Original post by CD223
Yeah true about some things continuing!

Sounds like you've covered a lot more than I have aha!

Yeah there's a lot of continuation- I learnt the mark schemes for CG1 last year and got 130/130 aha.

It does help you're completely right :smile: I still have so much more content and haven't finished the coursework yet!!

The 3 hour exam stresses me out less than the thought of the coursework dragging on! haha. You?

Haha, aw man. How much of your coursework do you have left to do? (:

Yeah. All we've been doing in lessons is just learning the mark schemes and how to do the application questions.

I think the reason why we're going through it so fast is because they want us to start doing past papers as soon as possible.

I don't actually mind the 3 hours. Last year I only used about 2 hours of the 3 last year, but I have a feeling we may need almost all of the 3 hours this year for the second year paper. Some seem pretty big.
Reply 36
Haha, aw man. How much of your coursework do you have left to do? (:

Yeah. All we've been doing in lessons is just learning the mark schemes and how to do the application questions.

I think the reason why we're going through it so fast is because they want us to start doing past papers as soon as possible.

I don't actually mind the 3 hours. Last year I only used about 2 hours of the 3 last year, but I have a feeling we may need almost all of the 3 hours this year for the second year paper. Some seem pretty big.

I have about a quarter of testing left, then evaluation and user guide. Seems such a lot left! I also have my demonstration to my teacher in mid-March.

That sounds pretty productive! I will probably not be doing past papers until Easter...
Original post by CD223
I have about a quarter of testing left, then evaluation and user guide. Seems such a lot left! I also have my demonstration to my teacher in mid-March.

That sounds pretty productive! I will probably not be doing past papers until Easter...

I'm sure you'll get it all done, I wouldn't worry about it.

The reason I'm starting so early is because of the amount of exams I've got this year. Just really want to get all of my subjects sorted earlier, rather than later. I'm just really thankful that the CG3 exam is actually quite late, compared to my other exams.
Reply 38
I'm sure you'll get it all done, I wouldn't worry about it.

The reason I'm starting so early is because of the amount of exams I've got this year. Just really want to get all of my subjects sorted earlier, rather than later. I'm just really thankful that the CG3 exam is actually quite late, compared to my other exams.

Hope so! Done testing now, only evaluation and user guide to go...

How many exams do you have? Are they spread out much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hope so! Done testing now, only evaluation and user guide to go...

How many exams do you have? Are they spread out much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice!

I'm doing 11 exams. 5 maths, 4 physics and 2 computing. My own fault for not trying harder last year and not getting the grades I wanted, so I'm making sure I don't make the same mistake this year.

How about you, do you have many?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending