The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rubytues96
Hey, sorry about your rejections: that seriously sucks. I've applied for straight IR and still haven't heard back. I got AAAB at AS but my B's in Econ so idk if i'll end up in a similar position to you. I read their requirment page and it said at least two traditional AS/A2s which is my A in English lit and B in Econ (i'm resitting tho) and i have two non-traditional Media and Drama and Theatre. I know drama sounds weird but i write political/social plays and media because i docu-film too hence IR but urgh i think they'll not take me b/c of this :frown:

I think they will give you An offer.. My gut feeling is never wrong. Don't worry about anything.. I've worked out that their is no point in worrying as we still have our final exams to go through and if we worked hard for that and get amazing grades, we all stand an amazing chance for getting into some great unis.. so I am not losing hope
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by tggfootymad
I'm considering a gap year too. Have you thought about any econ-related stuff you could do? Any BTW, in my opinion, a gap year could be really worth if you think you can get some awesome a-level results as actually having the grades is so much stronger than just predictions.

yeah exactly, idk I would probably find a work experience placement and start a portfolio to help me for ib applications, idk how I could use the gap year to improve my econ application as that'd have to be done for october, at least for the UK. I am really undecided though because if I felt that I wasn't getting the same attention being a UCL student as oxbridge/lse grads for jobs (unlikely), I'd probs make up for it by doing a post-grad somewhere prestigious (for me preferably the US) but its such a big decision that it defo needs thinking about
Yeah some good work experience would give you an advantage over others when applying for IB spring weeks + internships etc. I guess it depends on your specific application, grades etc, but if you got very good a-level results then that would obviously strengthen your application. IF I take a gap year, that's a big IF, then I'll work at an economics think tank in London for most of the year, which would be relevant. Unlikely to be huge difference in job market, university will only be one part of all that and other stuff like work experience and extra-curriculars becomes important as long as you're at a top uni. But, there may be other reasons other than graduate prospects to want to go to LSE not UCL etc. Yeah you could do that too, definitely.

Yeah that sounds good, tbh as much as I would like to go to oxbridge/lse if i'm stuck w/ ucl, I'm not sure I could take a gap year mentally - you have to be pretty strong to do one in our situation. Anyways best of luck to you in whatever you consider, have you heard from lse yet or are you still waiting?
Original post by jchap9776
Yeah that sounds good, tbh as much as I would like to go to oxbridge/lse if i'm stuck w/ ucl, I'm not sure I could take a gap year mentally - you have to be pretty strong to do one in our situation. Anyways best of luck to you in whatever you consider, have you heard from lse yet or are you still waiting?

Yeah, that's the main thing. I'd be so scared I wouldn't get the same offers next year, it's a big risk. I've got an LSE offer yes, but just contemplating whether to go for Cambridge again if I can get 4 A*'s in the summer. We'll see. And best of luck to you too!
Original post by sabbst16
Hi
anyone taking the UGAA at the School?
aaand..anyone from Romania here?:smile:

Hi, yes, I'll be taking it at LSE,
How have you been preparing for the exam?
Yeah, that's the main thing. I'd be so scared I wouldn't get the same offers next year, it's a big risk. I've got an LSE offer yes, but just contemplating whether to go for Cambridge again if I can get 4 A*'s in the summer. We'll see. And best of luck to you too!

congrats on lse, what is your offer for? cos I was rejected by cambridge too but if i get lse i'll happily settle for that as for econ at least they are virtually the same and in terms of uni experience etc the pros of camb = the cons of lse and visa versa so I'd have gone for either
congrats on lse, what is your offer for? cos I was rejected by cambridge too but if i get lse i'll happily settle for that as for econ at least they are virtually the same and in terms of uni experience etc the pros of camb = the cons of lse and visa versa so I'd have gone for either

Thanks. Offer is A*AAE, with A* in maths, and E in further maths. Yeah they are virtually the same, that's true. I just fell in love with the particular style of teaching at Cambridge and some of its idiosyncrasies. But the fact they're both so good and so similar means some people will think I'm crazy for even considering reapplying!
Thanks. Offer is A*AAE, with A* in maths, and E in further maths. Yeah they are virtually the same, that's true. I just fell in love with the particular style of teaching at Cambridge and some of its idiosyncrasies. But the fact they're both so good and so similar means some people will think I'm crazy for even considering reapplying!

ok fair, well cambridge is pretty so awesome so good luck if you do choose to reapply
Is there any reason Kings Econ & Management is A*AA but LSE Management is only AAB? I am definitely firming LSE, Kings was my 5th choice but I don't understand the difference?
Reply 3849
Original post by *Stefan*
That doesn't say anything actually. Oxford doesn't have any problems financing their courses, so the difference in the endowments is irrelevant. Besides, you're comparing two institutions from two vastly different counties, which adds nothing to the table.

I'd personally(!) get the Oxford undergraduate experience -if I were to choose- any day of the week, and all this is coming from someone who was rejected post interview, so no bias involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

#1) We aren't talking about Undergrad here. I was replying to someone about post-graduate study.
#2) While Oxford is by no means poor, the difference in spending power certainly reflects itself in the two Unis. Harvard students have access to arguably the most cutting edge resources in the world. The new engineering lab is supposed to be one of the most advanced non-government research facilities around. Also Harvard can afford to be MUCH more generous in their aid and research grants (62% of students received some form of aid last year). And for a post-grad student - either masters of PHD, the more funding a uni has the better. It's basically common sense, Harvard and Oxford are both similar sized, ancient Uni's except one is 6x richer that the other, who is gonna have better funded courses?
#3) In terms of reputation around the world, the two aren't even comparable internationally anymore. I come from a family of investment bankers, and I can tell you, with 100% certainty that in the finance world (at the very least) Harvard post-grads are considered top-of-the-top (desirable over all else), whilst Oxford's rep is gradually slipping (or maybe stagnating, allowing unis like LSE and Cambridge to catch up). Generally speaking, all of the HYPSM (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT) schools top Oxford in terms of employability and academic rep (in all subjects except classics and Philosophy).
#4) The Harvard Alumni association (networking in uni is what takes you places) is the largest in the world. Oxford's old boys network is largely dead.

#5) On the other hand Harvard is not famous for it's undergrad teaching, and I personally would most probably pick Oxford given the choice. However, you can make a much fairer comparison to an undergrad based uni like Princeton (who btw beat Oxford hands down - in terms of teaching quality, professor contact, facilities, even campus)
#6)Of course, Oxford is a world class uni, and anyone would be lucky to go there. They are not, however the be all and end all of world Unis - there are a lot that are better teaching and prestige wise. Where Oxford leads the world is in history, and culture (not negligible factors).
#7) As you said, the education system in the US is far different from that of the UK. So Harvard may not be for everyone (and vice versa). Oxford is pretty much generally the best that the UK has to offer. (aside from LSE economics, Cambridge and Imperial Engineering ofc)
Did anyone get a Social Policy & Government offer?I applied on Nov 1st and heard nothing since Christmas.I am an American applicant using ap scores as qualifications.
ok fair, well cambridge is pretty so awesome so good luck if you do choose to reapply

Hi.. I got rejected by LSE and I was thinking of reapplying next year with my actual grades.. the reason I was rejected because of my AS level results which were AACC.. But I am predicted A* A,B.. Any suggestions about what should i do? should I reapply?

lol allowwwwwwww nittybridge it's a myth, man don't see any Goldman Sachs recruiters preeing the journey up there no more fam..
glad they rejected me.........
innit.........................

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aisha 56
Hi.. I got rejected by LSE and I was thinking of reapplying next year with my actual grades.. the reason I was rejected because of my AS level results which were AACC.. But I am predicted A* A,B.. Any suggestions about what should i do? should I reapply?

I'm no expert but defo having the full a level grades is advantageous, though it depends what other offers you have, if none are on a par with lse and you feel you're better than them then reapplying is defo worth the shot, but you've got to have the mental strength to get through that gap year - idk if i have it myself but props to anybody who does and gets what they want a year later. if you're set on reapplying I recommend working as hard as you can to maximise your a2 grades, with a*aa+ you defo have higher chances :smile:
Original post by djsimpy
lol allowwwwwwww nittybridge it's a myth, man don't see any Goldman Sachs recruiters preeing the journey up there no more fam..
glad they rejected me.........
innit.........................

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opinion of Goldman Sachs employers> 😂😎💷
Will today be an offer monday?
yeah exactly, idk I would probably find a work experience placement and start a portfolio to help me for ib applications, idk how I could use the gap year to improve my econ application as that'd have to be done for october, at least for the UK. I am really undecided though because if I felt that I wasn't getting the same attention being a UCL student as oxbridge/lse grads for jobs (unlikely), I'd probs make up for it by doing a post-grad somewhere prestigious (for me preferably the US) but its such a big decision that it defo needs thinking about

This is exactly what I was thinking. Yes LSE and Oxbridge are stronger than UCL but I think UCL is also a very strong school and well known internationally. In addition, doing a post grad somewhere like LSE or Oxbridge I think is sure to strengthen applications anywhere you go. Also if you have a look at Linked In rankings for the best schools for IB which is based on RECENT graduates success in landing 'desirable' IB jobs (BB and other big banks) I think UCL comes second, above Oxbridge and Warwick (first being LSE). Of course it is completely your decision but there is also no guarantee you would get into LSE/Oxbridge if you were to reapply (not trying to sound horrible but I have heard of like 3/4A* candidates being rejected)

Best of luck to whatever you decide to do and I hope you get your LSE offer! Although, UCL would be more turnt 😏
Original post by sabbst16
Hi
anyone taking the UGAA at the School?
aaand..anyone from Romania here?:smile:

Eu sunt român 😄 - I've come to Scotland to finish the last 2 years of high school tho. Got an offer for Management. What course are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomixox
This is exactly what I was thinking. Yes LSE and Oxbridge are stronger than UCL but I think UCL is also a very strong school and well known internationally. In addition, doing a post grad somewhere like LSE or Oxbridge I think is sure to strengthen applications anywhere you go. Also if you have a look at Linked In rankings for the best schools for IB which is based on RECENT graduates success in landing 'desirable' IB jobs (BB and other big banks) I think UCL comes second, above Oxbridge and Warwick (first being LSE). Of course it is completely your decision but there is also no guarantee you would get into LSE/Oxbridge if you were to reapply (not trying to sound horrible but I have heard of like 3/4A* candidates being rejected)

Best of luck to whatever you decide to do and I hope you get your LSE offer! Although, UCL would be more turnt

fair man I agree tbh I'm defo thinking UCL is gonna be worth it
Is anyone else finding A2 micro a load of crap? I don't know if it's just OCR but this s**t is DULL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending