The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
Ah, the last day of half term. AKA "do all my homework when this hangover has shifted" day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lmao, I'm proud of myself. First time ever I did all my hw before it was even Friday :woo:

So had a nice meal last night

Gonna go for lunch down sisters I think

Then ****ty school starts again wahay

lol, homework?

Most (mediocre like mine) Scottish state schools don't give Advanced Higher students, we barely get any contact time and are just left to our own devices.

Homework doesn't exist for me anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
lol, homework?

Most (mediocre like mine) Scottish state schools don't give Advanced Higher students, we barely get any contact time and are just left to our own devices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm at a fairly mediocre state school but we still get treated like children at the sixth form
Like I got told off for swearing in a corridor once and I'd maybe understand if the sixth form and school were integrated but we have our own separate building.... so I turned around and said "sorry miss I always forget I'm 12"
lol, homework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Private school lel

I actually didn't get a lot

I wouldn't mind self teaching it all tbh, would prefer it tbh
I'm at a fairly mediocre state school but we still get treated like children at the sixth form
Like I got told off for swearing in a corridor once and I'd maybe understand if the sixth form and school were integrated but we have our own separate building.... so I turned around and said "sorry miss I always forget I'm 12"

See, we don't have sixth form "colleges" the school just encompasses everyone from the ages of 11 - 18. The good thing about this is that we do gain some form of respect from the younger pupils and the teachers the closer we get to leaving, it's mostly because the prefect team have a lot of sway.

The excuse the teachers give is that leaving us on our own "prepares us for uni", which I think is a cop out way of saying "we can't be bothered teaching you guys."

Take Physics for example, I get 2 periods (3 periods without) with a teacher - she hasn't taught me a single thing since August. I basically teach myself the syllabus.

That would suck though, getting treated like a kid. I think a healthy balance of support, respect and independence is needed.
See, we don't have sixth form "colleges" the school just encompasses everyone from the ages of 11 - 18. The good thing about this is that we do gain some form of respect from the younger pupils and the teachers the closer we get to leaving, it's mostly because the prefect team have a lot of sway.

The excuse the teachers give is that leaving us on our own "prepares us for uni", which I think is a cop out way of saying "we can't be bothered teaching you guys."

Take Physics for example, I get 2 periods (3 periods without) with a teacher - she hasn't taught me a single thing since August. I basically teach myself the syllabus.

That would suck though, getting treated like a kid. I think a healthy balance of support, respect and independence is needed.

Yeah I've got loads of Scottish family so I'm very familiar with the education system up there, I very nearly moved up to my dads after gcse to do highers
Jeez, I mean independent learning is good to become familiar with but I would struggle with that!
Yeah definitely. It's the only thing I don't like about my sixth form!
Yeah I've got loads of Scottish family so I'm very familiar with the education system up there, I very nearly moved up to my dads after gcse to do highers
Jeez, I mean independent learning is good to become familiar with but I would struggle with that!
Yeah definitely. It's the only thing I don't like about my sixth form!

Ah, well you made the right choice! Highers and Advanced Highers are a pain in the toochie.

Nah, I quite like it. I get a better understanding as I'm not restricted to just lessons. My time is spent just reading random stuff about physics and playing around with experiment equipment. :tongue:

This only applies to Maths and Physics, I'm dying in French because I don't get taught anything and I don't know what I should be reading/revising. Ah well, hope I can just scrape a B.
Ah, well you made the right choice! Highers and Advanced Highers are a pain in the toochie.

Nah, I quite like it. I get a better understanding as I'm not restricted to just lessons. My time is spent just reading random stuff about physics and playing around with experiment equipment. :tongue:

This only applies to Maths and Physics, I'm dying in French because I don't get taught anything and I don't know what I should be reading/revising. Ah well, hope I can just scrape a B.

I feel like A levels are not about learning a subject but about learning what you need to write exactly to gain the marks, and that really annoys me
I felt like that in french last year </3 such a passion for the language but on paper I'm "mediocre"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like A levels are not about learning a subject but about learning what you need to write exactly to gain the marks, and that really annoys me
I felt like that in french last year </3 such a passion for the language but on paper I'm "mediocre"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true of most standardized exams to be honest, they don't test your capability or level of interest, rather just some arbitrary knowledge you have to put down on an exam.

:frown: It's a horrible feeling. I sailed through all my years of French because I genuinely liked it. Now, I'm being forced to give opinions on Education, Relationships and Immigration - I don't even know the vocab to begin attempting that.
After goodness knows how long, I can kind of play the first two bars of Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement on the guitar :lol:
Original post by Claire.08T
Hey everyone,

Any one doing Edexcel Product Design, OCR Biology and AQA Geography at A2?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3151385 I'm doing Geog. thats the forums just incase you may need some help or wanna talk about something :P
Original post by bakedbeans247
Thanks. I've look at a paper or two, looking for questions on topics that i wave covered. Seems daunting. Also i use a graphics calc do you know if you get the method marks if you just write down the answer? Probs ask the teacher anyways.

Last thing, in my prev post, i was asking if people think that if I start revising now, is it enough time to get A*AA-AAA? What do you think? My exams are all in June (1 is in May but it's only C1).

I did mine last year, but I think you do need to show all the steps to get the marks, have a look at the mark schemes

Really depends on the kind of student you are, I'd think if you were dedicated enough, you should be able to achieve those grades ( that also depends on your AS grades)
It's been a while guys...
How are you all doing? After delaying it for two months I finally made my firm and insurance choice on UCAS... time is flying so fast gahhhhh
Original post by blamethenargles
How are you all doing? After delaying it for two months I finally made my firm and insurance choice on UCAS... time is flying so fast gahhhhh

omg is that blamethenargles?!

How have you been? What have you firmed and insurance'd? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does Student Finance support you for up to 4 years of studies?

Would both situations be financially supported:

1) I study for a Masters degree (MSc) at 'a' university = 4 years.
2) I study for a Bachelor degree (BSc) at 'a' university = 3 years + I then do a single year Master degree course (MSc) at another university 'b'.

I really want to do option 2 as I like the normal 3 year degree course from one university and then hate its 4th year modules but <3 the modules for a single year master degree course from another university.

To do the 1 year BSc-MSc you have to get generally 2:1 in your BSc. Therefore, providing I achieve that, I would then progress onto the single year course and gain a Master degree. I heard I would have to pay for option 2 with my own pocket by taking another loan out as Student Finance won't cover it :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Does Student Finance support you for up to 4 years of studies?

Would both situations be financially supported:

1) I study for a Masters degree (MSc) at 'a' university = 4 years.
2) I study for a Bachelor degree (BSc) at 'a' university = 3 years + I then do a single year Master degree course (MSc) at another university 'b'.

I really want to do option 2 as I like the normal 3 year degree course from one university and then hate its 4th year modules but <3 the modules for a single year master degree course from another university.

To do the 1 year BSc-MSc you have to get generally 2:1 in your BSc. Therefore, providing I achieve that, I would then progress onto the single year course and gain a Master degree. I heard I would have to pay for option 2 with my own pocket by taking another loan out as Student Finance won't cover it :frown:

Yeah, they won't cover a postgraduate degree. I believe that's changing though, you might be able to take a separate postgraduate loan from student finance but nothing has been confirmed on that front yet.

Option 1 is viable because student finance supports you for however long your "first" degree is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"The government-backed loans, worth up to £10,000, will be available from 2016-17 and will benefit 40,000 students. The proposals expect to bring an extra 10,000 students into postgraduate study.

Loans will be offered in any master's subject, but only to students under the age of 30, and will be repaid concurrently with undergraduate loans"

Would it be safe to go with option 2 from my earlier message knowing that towards the end of my second year the post-grad loan schemes should be in place or?
Original post by blamethenargles

Long time no see!

Time is flying too fast indeed

What choices you made then?
So I'm totally new to this thread and I feel like I've been missing out!
I have a rather urgent question though. Is anyone here doing AQA Philosophy? We're having a crisis at our college due to poor teaching, and I'd really like to know if we're on track (considering we've only got 10 weeks left *cries*).
Our results were **** last year, like crazy crazy bad, so I have no faith in my teacher at all. If anyone would be willing to message me privately I'd be SO grateful?

Hope the year's going well for you all, can't believe we're over halfway.. How crazy is that?!
Heard quite an interesting insult today: sausage jockey :lol:
I'm going on a 7 hour train journey to Nottingham in an hour, sooo exciteddd!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest