The Student Room Group

There are only three universities I want to apply to . . .

Scroll to see replies

You can use more than your 3 choices. UCL does Ancient History and Egyptology, as well as Egyptian Archeology. Perhaps both suit you? The latter is ABBe.
Yes definitely. But don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Aspergers can be a positive thing as you can get obsessed with your subject and end up a complete expert in it. But be careful not to exclude everything else. Get obsessed with something fun as well. ADHD can be more of a problem and you may need support with this. But accept who you are and don't get stressed about it. There are many people with aspergers who do fantastically in their field. But please ask for any support available. Wishing you the best of luck. Plus much easier to get diagnosed in the education system than as an adult. But please remember, a label does not demean you, but just entitles you to a bit of extra support
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Edminzodo
Ah. Oh well, Bath's a really nice place! Are you looking forward to going there?

Well it was basically my only choice so yeah :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Exceptional
You can use more than your 3 choices. UCL does Ancient History and Egyptology, as well as Egyptian Archeology. Perhaps both suit you? The latter is ABBe.

I went to UCL on Wednesday and I am going to apply for both degrees.
I went to UCL on Wednesday and I am going to apply for both degrees.

Did you like the look of UCL? :biggrin:
Original post by Magnesium
Did you like the look of UCL? :biggrin:

I don't really have a lot of choice, but as long as I could find decent accommodation, I wouldn't be opposed to it! Do you like the look of it?
I don't really have a lot of choice, but as long as I could find decent accommodation, I wouldn't be opposed to it! Do you like the look of it?

Ahh yeah I looked at UCL accomodation (online that is), and it looks pretty good :tongue: Yeah I quite like the look of UCL :smile: Are you really only applying to 3 unis?
Ahh yeah I looked at UCL accomodation (online that is), and it looks pretty good :tongue: Yeah I quite like the look of UCL :smile: Are you really only applying to 3 unis?

We should go to an open day together! And I think so . . . Although hopefully I can find an Archaeology course with a strong focus on Egypt and apply for that as well. I was at Cambridge yesterday and it made me sad - I have no chance of getting in! Where are you thinking of applying?
We should go to an open day together! And I think so . . . Although hopefully I can find an Archaeology course with a strong focus on Egypt and apply for that as well. I was at Cambridge yesterday and it made me sad - I have no chance of getting in! Where are you thinking of applying?

Aw we should - haven't seen you in so long! We can go together in the summer :tongue:

Ahh, but you could always use the other two options for similar degrees just as backup? Of course you have a chance of getting in! Don't say that :tongue: Umm.. If all goes well with my AS levels (fingers crossed they do!), Oxford/Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bath and Bristol. Not very sure if my options are very safe. They go from A*A*A (Cambridge) to AAB (Bristol) respectively so I guess it's a good bet?
Aw we should - haven't seen you in so long! We can go together in the summer :tongue:

Ahh, but you could always use the other two options for similar degrees just as backup? Of course you have a chance of getting in! Don't say that :tongue: Umm.. If all goes well with my AS levels (fingers crossed they do!), Oxford/Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bath and Bristol. Not very sure if my options are very safe. They go from A*A*A (Cambridge) to AAB (Bristol) respectively so I guess it's a good bet?

That's cool! I love Bath but sadly it doesn't do any of the degrees I'm interested in. Mine go from A*AA (Cambridge and UCL) to ABB (Liverpool and UCL's second degree). The odd thing is, there's so much overlap between the two UCL degrees! Oxford is AAA, which are my target grades right now, but hopefully I can get at least one A* . . . When do your exams start? And have you had a good half term?

I thought you wanted to do Foundation Year then Engineering, you change your mind a lot. :tongue:
That's cool! I love Bath but sadly it doesn't do any of the degrees I'm interested in. Mine go from A*AA (Cambridge and UCL) to ABB (Liverpool and UCL's second degree). The odd thing is, there's so much overlap between the two UCL degrees! Oxford is AAA, which are my target grades right now, but hopefully I can get at least one A* . . . When do your exams start? And have you had a good half term?

Ahh I really like Bath too, come to think of it, I quite like all the universities I've chosen :redface: What's the closest degree that Bath offer? Ahh and will your PS be able to cover our interests for all topics in both degrees? I'm sure you can, hard work and determination :smile: Which subject are you most interested in?

My exams start 11th of May with Economics unit 1 and they finish 9th of June with M1 Maths. Then I finish the term on the 17th :wink: And yourself?

Yeah, I had a good half term. Although I didn't get up to much. You?
Original post by yellowcopter
I thought you wanted to do Foundation Year then Engineering, you change your mind a lot. :tongue:

are you coming with us to university open days then :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
are you coming with us to university open days then :lol:

Maybe if you invited me :frown:

Also edit your post please don't want my identity revealed on here :tongue:
Original post by SebCross
Why not aim for Christ Church? Great college.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the Department for Continuing Education's remit was or what kind of courses they offered, but once I did some research the foundation course seemed a really really brilliant fit. And so it was :smile: I start my new politics unit with the Open University shortly so that's gonna be exciting, too.

The Department for Continuing Education offered mainly several types of courses:

1. Part-time version of currently available undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses, eg DPhil in Archaeology;
2. Another version of a similar course offered in another department, eg an MSt in history that has a focus not covered by the course currently offered by the Department of History;
3. Collaborative courses with academic departments;
4. Courses for mature, older learners, eg people who have retired;
5. Short-term and long-term non-Oxford qualifications courses, eg yours;
6. Full-time postgraduate Oxford qualifications.

Since they're primarily a non-academic department (they are outside of the academic board) with the aim to spread knowledge and earn money, they basically just fill up all the 'holes' academic departments do not offer. There have been scenarios where academic departments 'took away' certain courses from them.
Original post by yellowcopter
Maybe if you invited me :frown:

Also edit your post please don't want my identity revealed on here :tongue:

Sorry! :tongue:

You were already invited :awesome:
Reply 56
It's clearly outright stupid to apply to three since you have nothing to lose applying to 5. Maybe you changed your mind later. Maybe all the three rejected you and you wanted to think about reapplying or going to one of the other two. You can leave your options open at no extra cost.
Apply to a similar course to 2 other universities. Something like Ancient History or Classical Studies. There is no loss.
Are you considering any universities abroad? I know Copenhagen has a very good Egyptology degree (taught in English).
Sorry! :tongue:

You were already invited :awesome:

It's okay :tongue:

Next time you go to one do inform me :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest