The Student Room Group

BBC: Should we lay Holocaust to rest?

Lol, I can't believe this dumb question was the centre of a whole tv debate. Also, the question seems to imply that the Holocaust is being repeatedly shoved in people's faces when it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRdLCUJ_rg

Scroll to see replies

*shrug* History will do it for us.

There's plenty of historical examples of amazing cruelty and devastation of human life, and yet the stretch of history has rendered many of them mere footnotes, and others dispassionately discussed topics amongst historians.

Believe it or not the Holocaust will one day just be another thing that happened in the murky past. a tragedy but divorced from it's emotional force.
Reply 2
Original post by perfectsymbology
Lol, I can't believe this dumb question was the centre of a whole tv debate. Also, the question seems to imply that the Holocaust is being repeatedly shoved in people's faces when it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRdLCUJ_rg

You don't lay tragic events to rest, but this obviously gets more attention than various other events. The Holodomor or Amernian genocide for instance attract relatively little attention in comparison. I don't recall many movies or much media coverage about those events. That was a point made by Norman Finklestein in his controversial "The Holocaust Industry".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chi019
You don't lay tragic events to rest, but this obviously gets more attention than various other events. The Holodomor or Amernian genocide for instance attract relatively little attention in comparison. I don't recall many movies or much media coverage about those events. That was a point made by Norman Finklestein in his controversial "The Holocaust Industry".

Events where many countries are involved inevitably get more attention than those where few countries are involved. Why many countries get involved is a different debate. The second world war also occurred as the media industry was developing into a mass industry.
Original post by Chi019

The most striking comparison to be made is between the Holocaust and the Rwandan Genocide. Comments that would be considered utterly horrific if used to refer to the Holocaust (and to an extent, many other genocides like Armenia as well) are considered perfectly fair game with regard to Rwanda.
Holocaust industry is a multi billion dollar industry.
Reply 6
Original post by capitalismstinks

Multi million sure, but schindler's list only had a $22m budget, taking $320m, but its not like they make even one of those every year, so I don't see how it's a multibillion industry...

Seriously?? :redface:
Well damn!

Therefore it should expand/shrink/what?

Heroin production is a multi-billion dollar industry. So is production of cancer treatments. What does that fact alone say about whether those industries are desirable?
Reply 9
Original post by queen-bee
Seriously?? :redface:
Well damn!

Sick joke alert:

Hitler only wanted the Polish economy to have industry that worked.
Original post by Quady
Multi million sure, but schindler's list only had a $22m budget, taking $320m, but its not like they make even one of those every year, so I don't see how it's a multibillion industry...

The Holocaust industry didn't start and end with Shindlers list.

People have Pavlovian reactions whenever someone says something about the Holocaust, so i won't even bother. Just read book 'The Holocaust Industry' by Norman Finkelstein, who's parents were Holocaust survivors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_Industry
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Therefore it should expand/shrink/what?

Heroin production is a multi-billion dollar industry. So is production of cancer treatments. What does that fact alone say about whether those industries are desirable?

And like Heroin production, its a sick industry that preys on suffering.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have relatives who died in the Holocaust.

My opinion is that the other genocides should be remembered as well, instead of forgetting the Holocaust.
Reply 13
The Holocaust industry didn't start and end with Shindlers list.

People have Pavlovian reactions whenever someone says something about the Holocaust, so i won't even bother. Just read book 'The Holocaust Industry' by Norman Finkelstein, who's parents were Holocaust survivors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust_Industry

Yeah, but where do you get multibillion dollars a year from?
Reply 14
Original post by barnetlad
I have relatives who died in the Holocaust.

My opinion is that the other genocides should be remembered as well, instead of forgetting the Holocaust.

So there should be more genocide airtime overall?

For what purpose?

Should the Congolese genocide get 50% more airtime as it had 50% more deaths?

I barely know anything about the Red Terror, do I really need to know?

Likewise Holodomor

Cambodia is interesting I guess and the Rwandian genocide.
Original post by Quady
Yeah, but where do you get multibillion dollars a year from?

Movies, documentaries, museums, memorials, books, articles, shake downs ( reparations), holocaust 'denial' legal industry, pilgrimages to Auschwitz and other camps, memorabilia, websites....

The multi billion dollar industry is exposed in the book.
Original post by Quady
So there should be more genocide airtime overall?

For what purpose?

Should the Congolese genocide get 50% more airtime as it had 50% more deaths?

I barely know anything about the Red Terror, do I really need to know?

Likewise Holodomor

Cambodia is interesting I guess and the Rwandian genocide.

Remembrance could start with the day to remember the Holocaust being one to remember all genocides.
Why is it only the Holocaust that the BBC, leftists and Islamists want to lay to rest?

We recently celebrated 50 years since Churchill's passing, why? surely that should be laid to rest.

Why do we commemorate WWI every year and have marches, 2 minute silence etc? surely that should be laid to rest too?

Ah no, of course not. Just the Holocaust should be laid to rest. Only the Jews should let it lie. Everyone else can still commemorate events.
Reply 18
Original post by LockheedSpooky
Why is it only the Holocaust that the BBC, leftists and Islamists want to lay to rest?

We recently celebrated 50 years since Churchill's passing, why? surely that should be laid to rest.

Why do we commemorate WWI every year and have marches, 2 minute silence etc? surely that should be laid to rest too?

Ah no, of course not. Just the Holocaust should be laid to rest. Only the Jews should let it lie. Everyone else can still commemorate events.

Why not?

I think after the last people who were involved have died we should lay it to rest.
Well it's the last big genocide, if you exclude what Stalin and Mao did, but Russia and China aren't saying anything so we just have this as the worst example of human killings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending