The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

175*10 is supposedly a 1RM of 233. Sceptical.
Original post by illusionz

Seems a bit high....I would say it should give you 220 certainly though.
1RM calculators tend to lose their reliability when you get into higher reps because grinding through a max single is a different experience to a set of 10. I would say you probably have the strength to pull in the 230s but if you haven't actually pulled many heavy singles before, you might need to practice it first to get used to it.
Are you flat benching now? Believe I have matched your incline dead on now! :tongue: So is the competition off? :frown:
@IOE no, just did because I felt like trying and incline was in use. Same today.

Today

Bit of a yolo session. Incline and racks in use so just did bench. Squatted 2 sets as wanted to deadlift too. Meh. Decent weights all round considering still sore from tuesday bench and 10RM deadlift lol.

Bench
20*10
40*10
60*5
70*3
80*5,5,5,5,5

Squats
60*5,5
100*5
130*3
140*3
150*5,5

Deadlift
60*5
100*5
140*5
180*5

Rows
60*5
80*5,5,5,5

Chins and triceps

The higher the reps the more inaccurate the 1RM indicator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you do your barbell rows strict, or with a bit of momentum?
Im at 62.5KG for 5x5 and its becoming almost impossible to progress with perfect form
Original post by Motorbiker
The higher the reps the more inaccurate the 1RM indicator.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know. Just surprised it estimates so high. Reckon I could pull 5 plates again with a week or two of getting used to heavy singles.
Original post by Straighthate
do you do your barbell rows strict, or with a bit of momentum?
Im at 62.5KG for 5x5 and its becoming almost impossible to progress with perfect form

Yates style. Always end up with a semi shrug to help when tired. It's impossible to keep rows strict when tired tbh. I don't use my legs though, just get a tad more upright.
Yates style. Always end up with a semi shrug to help when tired. It's impossible to keep rows strict when tired tbh. I don't use my legs though, just get a tad more upright.

do you think yates style is just as good as the form blaha recommends?
i watched his vid discussing the yates style form and why its inferior to rowing to the lower pecs, but it obviously hasnt stopped you from squatting heavy ass weight
i watched his vid discussing the yates style form and why its inferior to rowing to the lower pecs, but it obviously hasnt stopped you from squatting heavy ass weight

Yates style is definitely better. Bringing the bar up higher just puts more stress on the shoulders and takes work off the lats and onto the rhomboids and so on. Blaha talks a load of *******s a lot of the time IMO.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yates style is definitely better. Bringing the bar up higher just puts more stress on the shoulders and takes work off the lats and onto the rhomboids and so on. Blaha talks a load of *******s a lot of the time IMO.

bringing the bar up higher puts more work on the lats if anything. if you bring it lower your scapula rise, which means your traps are pulling the bar up, the traps are very strong
bringing the bar up higher puts more work on the lats if anything. if you bring it lower your scapula rise, which means your traps are pulling the bar up, the traps are very strong

Not really dude. Think about it physiologically. To work the lats effectively during rows, the elbows have to stay in close to your sides - it's that whole plane from having your arms overhead, bringing the elbows down in a vertical line and behind the body that the lats are responsible for - so overhead pulls such as pullups, chins, pulldowns and so on as well as rowing with the elbows in close to the sides. If you flare the elbows out to the sides, that's upper back work - the function of the upper back muscles (such as the rhomboids, teres as well as the rear delts) is to pull the arms from out in front to out to the side.

If you were to keep your elbows in close to work your lats, and you rowed the bar to your lower chest, you'd either be putting the shoulders in a very unnatural position, or you'd have to shrug your shoulders up, which of course brings your traps into play heavily.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Not really dude. Think about it physiologically. To work the lats effectively during rows, the elbows have to stay in close to your sides - it's that whole plane from having your arms overhead, bringing the elbows down in a vertical line and behind the body that the lats are responsible for - so overhead pulls such as pullups, chins, pulldowns and so on as well as rowing with the elbows in close to the sides. If you flare the elbows out to the sides, that's upper back work - the function of the upper back muscles (such as the rhomboids, teres as well as the rear delts) is to pull the arms from out in front to out to the side.

If you were to keep your elbows in close to work your lats, and you rowed the bar to your lower chest, you'd either be putting the shoulders in a very unnatural position, or you'd have to shrug your shoulders up, which of course brings your traps into play heavily.

watch 1:12 onwards and he explains it logically

[video="youtube;jWJzdo8SVN0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jWJzdo8SVN0#t=82[/video]
watch 1:12 onwards and he explains it logically

[video="youtube;jWJzdo8SVN0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jWJzdo8SVN0#t=82[/video]

Dunno what he's on about. Again, pulling the bar to the lower chest means elbows out. Pulling to the stomach with the elbows in allows the elbows to come back further, which obviously means a fuller ROM. And, besides that, I refer to my earlier point that elbows out to the sides doesn't work the lats, it works higher up. Basic biomechanics dude.

Quite frankly rows are an assistance movement so I don't think it matters much. Squat, bench and deadlift are the lifts I care about
Reply 796
Lol 80kg on bench??
Who are you, 120lbs 13yr old?
@IOE no, just did because I felt like trying and incline was in use. Same today.

Today

Bit of a yolo session. Incline and racks in use so just did bench. Squatted 2 sets as wanted to deadlift too. Meh. Decent weights all round considering still sore from tuesday bench and 10RM deadlift lol.

Bench
20*10
40*10
60*5
70*3
80*5,5,5,5,5

Squats
60*5,5
100*5
130*3
140*3
150*5,5