The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by outlaw-torn
I didn't feel ready for it right up until the 1st September. Eventually you just get used to it :smile: well done for getting an NQT job so early! Must be such a relief :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a relief that i got a job, but in some ways i feel theres alot of pressure on me now to prove myself since they employed me based on what i was like in december and apparently they saw potential, but what if i dont live up to it!
Im still terrified im not going to get qts at the end of all of this, but i figure theyd tell me if that was a possibility?
Original post by Ratchit99
It is a relief that i got a job, but in some ways i feel theres alot of pressure on me now to prove myself since they employed me based on what i was like in december and apparently they saw potential, but what if i dont live up to it!
Im still terrified im not going to get qts at the end of all of this, but i figure theyd tell me if that was a possibility?

I'd imagine that if you are passing at this point, you can only get better right? Don't worry about not passing, you will unless there is some major problem with your teaching (which you would already know about).

You've already got a job so a school has seen potential in you! It is a lot of pressure to prove yourself but once you start your nqt year you will wonder what you were worrying about. Yeah it's stressful but it's also a lot more natural - you have your own classes, maybe your own classroom and you develop a proper teacher persona. You'll be fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'd imagine that if you are passing at this point, you can only get better right? Don't worry about not passing, you will unless there is some major problem with your teaching (which you would already know about).

You've already got a job so a school has seen potential in you! It is a lot of pressure to prove yourself but once you start your nqt year you will wonder what you were worrying about. Yeah it's stressful but it's also a lot more natural - you have your own classes, maybe your own classroom and you develop a proper teacher persona. You'll be fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this really helps to read. :smile:
Ive had some issues with behaviour with one of my y9 groups and some issues with pace but ive been averaging 2b's with the occasional 3a and 2a thrown in. I think the issues with behaviour have just dented my confidence. I guess its just a case of continuing to practice and hopefully i can stop the 3's from popping up occasionally.
Original post by Ratchit99
Thanks, this really helps to read. :smile:
Ive had some issues with behaviour with one of my y9 groups and some issues with pace but ive been averaging 2b's with the occasional 3a and 2a thrown in. I think the issues with behaviour have just dented my confidence. I guess its just a case of continuing to practice and hopefully i can stop the 3's from popping up occasionally.

Everyone has issues with behaviour. Even my HoD struggles with some kids. As long as you can show that you are trying to manage it as best as you can - then it isn't an issue! Just use behaviour systems at school, don't forget to use rewards (things like raffle tickets and prizes have helped me so much as an nqt) and never forget the power of a phone call home! You don't even have to ring all of the troublemakers parents, I've found that phoning the ringleaders parents works wonders :tongue:

Anything you find difficult - it's always just something to work on. As long as you show you are working on it then you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Ugh, I'm feeling crap. Dreading tomorrow. Will be glad when the week is over and I'm back in the swing on things. I've had a total of three weeks off doing nothing, so I'm having to get back into everything!

That's exactly how I feel! I've also had 3 weeks off, and have got used to going to bed much later than I can from tomorrow, so tonight should be interesting. Not looking forward to a week of pure observations, either - I'll be much happier when I'm spending most of my time planning/teaching (which I guess means I've chosen the right career XD).
Had an amazing weekend and now I'm feeling really anxious about school tomorrow D: doesn't help that I have this stupid essay due tomorrow night too.
Original post by tory88
That's exactly how I feel! I've also had 3 weeks off, and have got used to going to bed much later than I can from tomorrow, so tonight should be interesting. Not looking forward to a week of pure observations, either - I'll be much happier when I'm spending most of my time planning/teaching (which I guess means I've chosen the right career XD).

Yeah I'm getting the same feeling about observations. I don't particularly like teaching (at least I didn't in my first placement) but observations are SO boring, and there is so much other stuff I could be getting on with.
I feel like I am improving more on my second placement than my first one.I was on RI at the end of my first placement and now I am aiming for a 'Good'. I have a mentor who expects a LOT from me which can get a bit daunting at times, but having a 'strict' mentor makes me step up my game.

Good luck to those who are starting second placement.
Original post by Red Lightning
I feel like I am improving more on my second placement than my first one.I was on RI at the end of my first placement and now I am aiming for a 'Good'. I have a mentor who expects a LOT from me which can get a bit daunting at times, but having a 'strict' mentor makes me step up my game.

Good luck to those who are starting second placement.

I have the same feelings. Having someone who expects more and sees me as an equal to the rest of the teachers really helped me to step up and just get on with things. The bit that's stopping me from feeling completely teacherly is havinf to plan using the school's 10 minute lesson plan (it has all of the school's policies and tick boxes) and then swapping it over to the absolutely mammoth uni lesson plan forms afterwards.

I've heard some people get signed off to use their school's lesson plan template at some point during this placement so my fingers are crossed that it'll happen soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I have the same feelings. Having someone who expects more and sees me as an equal to the rest of the teachers really helped me to step up and just get on with things. The bit that's stopping me from feeling completely teacherly is havinf to plan using the school's 10 minute lesson plan (it has all of the school's policies and tick boxes) and then swapping it over to the absolutely mammoth uni lesson plan forms afterwards.

I've heard some people get signed off to use their school's lesson plan template at some point during this placement so my fingers are crossed that it'll happen soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mentor wants all plans to be done 2 days in advance. It gets to the point where Im stressed out that I did not submit my lesson plan on a Saturday morning. During my first placement that was never the case, in fact I used to give my course-mates a funny look whenever they mentioned lesson plans as I did not even complete them(only for observations). Even I am surprised at my own progress!
My mentor wants all plans to be done 2 days in advance. It gets to the point where Im stressed out that I did not submit my lesson plan on a Saturday morning. During my first placement that was never the case, in fact I used to give my course-mates a funny look whenever they mentioned lesson plans as I did not even complete them(only for observations). Even I am surprised at my own progress!

I just have to hand over my resources just before the lesson. I usually teach off of the 10 minute lesson plan and then write up the longer lesson plans when I get chance.

I was a bit dreadful about getting them filled during placement 1 so I feel like I need to make up for it while I'm here :/
I might have my first pgce cry. Such a bad lesson, it was a double lesson and we did not get through half as I had to deal with constant misbehaviour. There was a case of a student being openly rude to me, I kept calm at all times(which was hard for me) and gave him a detention.

I took away some feedback from the class teacher and i'll try my best and implement them asap. But it feel so frustrating that you plan for God knows how many hours and it goes all down the drain,it's like I myself down.

Apologies for the ranting.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I just have to hand over my resources just before the lesson. I usually teach off of the 10 minute lesson plan and then write up the longer lesson plans when I get chance.

I was a bit dreadful about getting them filled during placement 1 so I feel like I need to make up for it while I'm here :/

That seems really strange to me! I know a lot of my friends had to do things like this but I never gave my lesson plans to the teacher unless I was being observed and she was never in the room for my lessons either.. A little bit of accountability might be helpful on my next placement to be honest. What did you think of it?

I might have my first pgce cry. Such a bad lesson, it was a double lesson and we did not get through half as I had to deal with constant misbehaviour. There was a case of a student being openly rude to me, I kept calm at all times(which was hard for me) and gave him a detention.

I took away some feedback from the class teacher and i'll try my best and implement them asap. But it feel so frustrating that you plan for God knows how many hours and it goes all down the drain,it's like I myself down.

Don't worry about ranting, I'm pretty sure we've all done it! I've already had my first PGCE cry (in front of my tutor... eep), I think it's not uncommon. Just take some time for yourself (if you can) and move past it. Tomorrow will be better!

Don't apologise. Only those who have been there know how upsetting it can be.
First day of second placement today. Felt it went quite well. The kids and staff seem nice, and I already have my new timetable which looks quite good. Of course there is the usual new place feel, I need to settle in a bit more before I feel I can enjoy it.

I had my first PGCE cry in like the first week :awesome: . You've done well to last until now! Bad lessons happen to everyone, even if they deny it. I know what you mean about the planning though. Pupils don't realise how much time and effort goes into their lessons and how it affects us so much behind the scenes. I've had many a time where I've spent days planning a lesson only for it to go up in smoke, then I use a shabby thrown together lesson another time that goes amazingly well. Sadly, it is just part of the trade!

We don't have that long left now! It will be a tough few months, but we will get through and can be proud of ourselves afterwards! I cannot wait until June. Maybe the happiest month of my life!
5 hours until this essay is due and I still can't motivate myself. eurgh

Don't be scared to let it all out :') unfortunately, the only people who really understand are other people who have been through it! I've cried so many times so far.

Just keep your cool and think about how you're going to tackle the behaviour next lesson.
Original post by Samus2
5 hours until this essay is due and I still can't motivate myself. eurgh

Know the feeling! Got 1,200 words left to write before Wednesday morning. Got no motivation whatsoever. The ironic part is that part of my essay is about how to motivate students. Arghh!
Original post by alabelle
Know the feeling! Got 1,200 words left to write before Wednesday morning. Got no motivation whatsoever. The ironic part is that part of my essay is about how to motivate students. Arghh!

Eurgh, mine's up to the word limit, but I have nowhere near enough critical engagement in it :frown:

These essays are just a complete added stress.
Original post by Samus2
Eurgh, mine's up to the word limit, but I have nowhere near enough critical engagement in it :frown:

These essays are just a complete added stress.

I'm too tired to care much about critical engagement right now :frown: I'd normally put far more time and thought into an essay but there just isn't enough time to do that in the PGCE!

Quick Reply

Latest