The Student Room Group

Official gap year thread- 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey i'm on a gap year too:smile:. I'm studying a teaching course and sitting an A2. I am also volunteering each week at a nursing home. I applied last year to university and with no luck I am having to take a gap year:frown:. However it is not that bad to be honest, but then I have reapplied to university and still got 2 rejections. Has anyone else applied to health related degree?:smile:
I'm on my gap year as well. I've been to El Salvador for a 10 week volunteering placement, and I'm getting ready to be a Chalet girl. Hoping to do Americamp in the summer before uni :smile: I've been working at home for a while now, so I'm looking forward to doing more travelling :smile: Anybody else done a ski season?
Original post by nadzworldz
Hey i'm on a gap year too:smile:. I'm studying a teaching course and sitting an A2. I am also volunteering each week at a nursing home. I applied last year to university and with no luck I am having to take a gap year:frown:. However it is not that bad to be honest, but then I have reapplied to university and still got 2 rejections. Has anyone else applied to health related degree?:smile:

Are you a medic by any chance? enjoy this year its a learning experience
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Are you a medic by any chance? enjoy this year its a learning experience
Hey no I'm not but I'll be starting an Adult Nursing degree this year. wbu?? And yes it sure is.:wink:
Original post by nadzworldz
Hey no I'm not but I'll be starting an Adult Nursing degree this year. wbu?? And yes it sure is.:wink:

Medical science and good luck with application and totally agree
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Medical science and good luck with application and totally agree
Wow that sounds great and good luck with your application too!:smile:
I'm in the early stages of planning my gap year, but I'm thinking I'll spend at least 3 months travelling around South America - then on to Africa and possibly South East Asia. Hopefully going in September/October time :biggrin:
Reply 167
A quick update on my plans.

Heading over to Indonesia in a couple of weeks. Going to make my way across Java and spend about a month in Bali and possibly Lombok. Back across Java to Jakarta.

Then a flight to Bangkok and spend a month in Thailand, on the Islands. Then to Cambodia where i'll visit Siem Reap and Phnom Penh.

Hope everyone is having a great time :smile:
Update on me (not as exciting as everyone elses)

Starting to put the plans down for revision, paid for my exams and got all my books! also finishing off my coursework this week.

Got four out of five offers with Exeter still not rejecting/ accepting me. Been to four open days for uni too.

Aside from school I have been to 30 football games, 27 gigs, 1 festival (kind of) and had 12 nights out in new cities. And I have still made a small profit from working (with much more money to be made before Uni)... oh I also got tickets for Glastonbury festival :biggrin:

Despite not traveling the benefit of a gap year has been massive for me, I already know when I go to university I will have experienced a whole lot more then I ever would had I gone in september.
Original post by Kemosabe99
Update on me (not as exciting as everyone elses)

Starting to put the plans down for revision, paid for my exams and got all my books! also finishing off my coursework this week.

Got four out of five offers with Exeter still not rejecting/ accepting me. Been to four open days for uni too.

Aside from school I have been to 30 football games, 27 gigs, 1 festival (kind of) and had 12 nights out in new cities. And I have still made a small profit from working (with much more money to be made before Uni)... oh I also got tickets for Glastonbury festival :biggrin:

Despite not traveling the benefit of a gap year has been massive for me, I already know when I go to university I will have experienced a whole lot more then I ever would had I gone in september.

I haven't traveled (unexpected gap year) and I haven't minded it too much either! I wish I have done all the stuff you have though!
So late to the party! But just found this thread :smile: also gap year, have been working since last June to save money and am now trying to organise travelling this April/May/June time :smile: but I can't decide between companies at the moment.... I'm stuck between Gap360 and ACE (African Conservation Experience). Any opinions on these companies? I'm also wondering whether I could mix and match between the two?

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Late to the party.
Spent my gap year recovering from a back injury, and now am working full time. Off to summer camp in america with Camp Leaders come June and it cannot come soon enough!
Is anyone else finding being at home abit boring when almost all their close friends are scattered around the country at uni?! #countrysideproblems
Original post by PeachButterfly96
I haven't traveled (unexpected gap year) and I haven't minded it too much either! I wish I have done all the stuff you have though!

I haven't done anywhere near enough, should of started learning a new language or a instrument or something!

Also you still have ages left this year! Just do what you want!
I haven't done anywhere near enough, should of started learning a new language or a instrument or something!

Also you still have ages left this year! Just do what you want!

Yeah I've been learning Mandarin but it's going slowly :P

Yeah I will, I mean I have more stuff planned this half of the gap year than the previous half!
Reply 174
Original post by TravelJunkie
I'm in the early stages of planning my gap year, but I'm thinking I'll spend at least 3 months travelling around South America - then on to Africa and possibly South East Asia. Hopefully going in September/October time :biggrin:

Hey there,
A gap year is an amazing experience not to be missed! If you need any inspiration check out the worldwide programmes that we offer.

http://bunac.org/uk

Any questions let me know,

Sam
Mandarin? That's nice. I wanted to learn it as well but that meant extra commitment because I wouldn't want to learn it halfway. Besides it appears to be a whole lot of work.
I stuck with Dutch since it is easier and I have personal ties to Netherlands.
I'm stuck for choice. I am thinking of interrailing through Italy with my mum, has anyone done this before (interrailing?) if so, how was the experience. I also want to do this 5-week fiji expedition in July, but it's a bit last minute. Don't people usually spend at least a year before they decide to join one of these volunteering expeditions?
Just found this thread too.

I've been living in the Dominican Republic for almost 8 months now. My flight home, back to London, is on the 28th July. So far it has been an extremely interesting, mentally expansive and maturing experience. I came here with the charity Project Trust; an organisation based on the Isle of Coll, a hebridean island off the coast of Scotland. I had to send a brief application to them, that can be filled out on their website. If the application is accepted you are invited to travel - alone - to the island and partake in their selection course. This trip itself was an adventure, and surprisingly difficult as well. Once you arrive st Coll, you live with a member of the community for 4 days with 3 - 4 other candidates. Apart from the tests, interviews and subtle surveillance, the selection course is a lot of fun. If you pass this stage you are then required to undergo training on the island for one week, some point in summer. Between selection and training you must also work on raising the necessary funds for your year long trip - £5,600. This seems like a lot, but you'll be surprised how many people are willing to help you, including charitable trusts. At training you meet your partner whom you will be travelling with, as well as any other volunteers working in the same country as you. This is great as everyone underwent the same work and process to get to this final stage. So, as you can imagine, everyone's pretty buzzing. Then, about a month after training you are literally shipped off, never to be seen for a whole year. And this is just the warm up.

In the Dominican Republic I work for the charity Acción Callejera in the city Santiago de los Caballeros. I teach english to children in impoverished communities around the city, at this moment I look after 5 and I am being assigned two more. I also do help generally around the headquaters and coordinate activities and participate in social work with street children. Children with no homes, money nor family. The chairty itself is amazing and an emblem of the success through determination, consideration and love. The adventures I've had here have been incredible. The people I've met inspirational, and the memories I've gained I'll keep forever. In April I'll also be travelling to Haiti, something that would seem impossible 7 months ago. Another thing, living abroad for a year allows you to totally immerse yourself in a language and culture. Me and my partners knowledge of Spanish has increased exponentially, and because of this, I have been allowed to undertake a dual honours with Spanish at University next year, without any official qualification.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole experience has been unbelievable and I must share it to provoke thought in others considering a gap year. If you are looking to go on a gap year, seek out to do it with Project Trust or any similar organisation that offers prolonged trips and ensures that your work doesn't take away jobs from the local people. You won't just be travelling as a tourist, brushing the surface of one place or another; you will be a member of a community where your work and presence will in fact influence and promote change where change is needed most. You will gain invaluable skills, experience and a tremendous sense of worth, pride and well-being. You will meet individuals with the same passion and ideas as your from all over the world, and make friends that will survive a lifetime. And with all this you can still satisfy you sense of wonder, desire to travel and ambition for adventure.

To everyone living and experiencing the world in all its mystery, beauty, harshness and reality, well done. And I wish you all safe travels and plenty of enriching experiences ahead.

Joe Beedle

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PeachButterfly96
Yeah I've been learning Mandarin but it's going slowly :P

I have been meaning to ask but I keep forgetting. How have you gone about learning Mandarin? It sounds really useful and I would love to give it a go, are you having lessons or just reading textbooks or online courses ect...!
I have been meaning to ask but I keep forgetting. How have you gone about learning Mandarin? It sounds really useful and I would love to give it a go, are you having lessons or just reading textbooks or online courses ect...!

I've just got a book and I'm using the internet to help haha, not anything special! But I know a little so at least that's something! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest