The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esjae
Just came back from the Applicants Day, and fair to say that I absolutely loved it.

The whole atmosphere was just amazing, the other students were just so friendly and lovely.

I can't put into words, how right that university is for me

Cool. :smile:
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 161
Original post by Swansea University
Hi Everyone, I'm pleased to see your offers are starting to come through. Do you have any questions about Swansea?

Hi
I have an interview for health care science and i have been requested to bring some documents along, I have all of them apart from Original Passport and original birth certificate. Unfortunately we are in the middle of a large renovation and have packed everything in boxes but for the life of me cannot find these two documents.

Is this going to be an issue as i dont want to travel 5 hrs to find out i cannot do my interview due to this
[QUOTE="BoboG;53518269"]Hi
I have an interview for health care science and i have been requested to bring some documents along, I have all of them apart from Original Passport and original birth certificate. Unfortunately we are in the middle of a large renovation and have packed everything in boxes but for the life of me cannot find these two documents.

Is this going to be an issue as i dont want to travel 5 hrs to find out i cannot do my interview due to this[/QUOTE

telephone the uni explain the postion and seek their advice
Original post by BoboG
Hi

Can anyone apply for the accomodation at bay campus or is it dependant on what course you are doing

Hi BoboG,
Students studying in the College of Engineering and the School of Management will be based at the Bay Campus but students can studying any subject can live there if they wish to. If you would like more information on the different accommodation options please go to our accommodation pages on our website. I hope this helps?
Original post by Bruno26
I was wondering...for the 'Genetics' BSc course, after 3rd year, are you able to transfer to do the MSci Genetics course? :smile:

Hi Bruno26,
Thank you for your enquiry - candidates who enrol on the BSc scheme can transfer to the MSci scheme at the end of their first year of study if they maintain an average of 60%. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!
Hi Bruno26,
Thank you for your enquiry - candidates who enrol on the BSc scheme can transfer to the MSci scheme at the end of their first year of study if they maintain an average of 60%. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you for the answer! :smile:

I've got another question~ For the bursaries and scholarships; do we need to apply for it and link 'Student Finance' with the university, or will it be given to us automatically if we've met the conditions for it?
Original post by esjae
First we had an intro talk,then went on the accommodation tour, then wandered around ourselves instead of going on a campus tour because they were going to show us things that we wouldn't really need. The Abbey, is absolutely stunning, it was such a nice day as well which helped me fall in love with it a lot quicker.
Went to the Law open day within that, then they had tea and coffee and we talked to one of the Professors/Lecturers for like twenty minutes before the open day started, we then had a hand full of talks, then a mock lecture which was really fun, felt like I learned something, even though most of it was similar stuff I do at A Level

Thanks for sharing! I hope the weather's not too bad when I go there next week.

When you talked to the lecturer was it with other students like in a group or was it one to one? In my invitation letter it mentions a brief one to one interview but 20 minutes sounds more than brief - I'm getting slightly nervous because I'm clueless as to what to expect :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by esjae
First we had an intro talk,then went on the accommodation tour, then wandered around ourselves instead of going on a campus tour because they were going to show us things that we wouldn't really need. The Abbey, is absolutely stunning, it was such a nice day as well which helped me fall in love with it a lot quicker.
Went to the Law open day within that, then they had tea and coffee and we talked to one of the Professors/Lecturers for like twenty minutes before the open day started, we then had a hand full of talks, then a mock lecture which was really fun, felt like I learned something, even though most of it was similar stuff I do at A Level

Hi esjae, I'm glad you enjoyed the Visit Day on Saturday! It really was lovely weather! Which subject have you applied to study?
Original post by Bruno26
Thank you for the answer! :smile:

I've got another question~ For the bursaries and scholarships; do we need to apply for it and link 'Student Finance' with the university, or will it be given to us automatically if we've met the conditions for it?

Hi Bruno26,
The Academic Scholarship is awarded automatically if you meet the conditions (£3,000 for AAA, £2,000 for AAB). The conditions do vary for the other scholarships and bursaries and more information can be found here.
If you have any further questions about the scholarships and bursaries then please contact our Money Advice Service and they will be happy to help you!
Reply 169
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Thanks for sharing! I hope the weather's not too bad when I go there next week.

When you talked to the lecturer was it with other students like in a group or was it one to one? In my invitation letter it mentions a brief one to one interview but 20 minutes sounds more than brief - I'm getting slightly nervous because I'm clueless as to what to expect :tongue:

It was me, my parents and another student and his parents, so not quite one to one, but not in a big group. What subject you studying?

Hi esjae, I'm glad you enjoyed the Visit Day on Saturday! It really was lovely weather! Which subject have you applied to study?

I've applied and been offered an unconditional to study straight Law :smile:
Original post by esjae
It was me, my parents and another student and his parents, so not quite one to one, but not in a big group. What subject you studying?

I've applied and been offered an unconditional to study straight Law :smile:

Ah right fair enough, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I've applied to study theoretical physics.
Hello guys! Are any applicants here from the North-West of England? I'm strongly thinking of firming Swansea soon, after I've been to the applicant day on the 7th March. It would be interesting to find out if anyone is near to or from my area, it's a long way to Swansea! :smile:
Original post by Clytaemnestra
Hello guys! Are any applicants here from the North-West of England? I'm strongly thinking of firming Swansea soon, after I've been to the applicant day on the 7th March. It would be interesting to find out if anyone is near to or from my area, it's a long way to Swansea! :smile:

there will probably be many. students go to swansea from all over the world. I have met Chinese American Brazilian Mexicans etc. I regularly meet loads of students from everywhere whilst travelling in and out of the city on the bus. I think there is something like 15% overseas and the difference british. there are probably more English than welsh. I hope you enjoy Swansea and hopefully the sun will shine for you. are you intending staying for the applicant day. if so and you need advice on hotels what to do or how to travel feel free to ask and I will try and give you advice. where are you coming from. are you travelling by train or car and who will be with you. if travelling by train there are 2 main ways of getting here. coming by cross country train to Bristol parkway and then by first great western to Swansea or arriva trains wales run a manchester to Swansea service where people can connect at crewe. arriva is sometimes far cheaper but takes slightly longer. the number 4 bendy bus stops outside the station and goes to the present uni site

I am! I'm from Blackpool and have firmed Swansea Uni, after going to the applicants day last Saturday! :biggrin: It was amazing and very informative!!! Although, it was a long way - around 4-5 hours car drive :s-smilie: But that's what I like about it! It's far from home and it's like an adventure :biggrin:
Original post by Bruno26
I am! I'm from Blackpool and have firmed Swansea Uni, after going to the applicants day last Saturday! :biggrin: It was amazing and very informative!!! Although, it was a long way - around 4-5 hours car drive :s-smilie: But that's what I like about it! It's far from home and it's like an adventure :biggrin:

You sound exactly like me haha! What are you going to study? :smile:
I'm from the Wirral. I've been offered a place at Swansea doing Marine Biology. I'm going to the visit day in March. Looking forward to it. I was very impressed by the brochure they sent me. Swansea is deffo my first choice so far.
You sound exactly like me haha! What are you going to study? :smile:

hahaha thats good I guess!:biggrin: and I'm going to study- Genetics! What about you? Where abouts are you in North West and What subject have you applied for? :smile:
Original post by Bruno26
hahaha thats good I guess!:biggrin: and I'm going to study- Genetics! What about you? Where abouts are you in North West and What subject have you applied for? :smile:

I've applied for English Lit and Classical Civilisation. I'm from near Preston - not far from Blackpool at all! I thought that most students would be from Wales and the South of England. Not true hahaha :tongue:
I've applied for English Lit and Classical Civilisation. I'm from near Preston - not far from Blackpool at all! I thought that most students would be from Wales and the South of England. Not true hahaha :tongue:

That's awesome! Good luck to you! :biggrin: After going to the applicants day, I realised that lots of people came to that from different parts of England and even other countries! I was really suprised :smile:
Original post by Bruno26
That's awesome! Good luck to you! :biggrin: After going to the applicants day, I realised that lots of people came to that from different parts of England and even other countries! I was really suprised :smile:

Good luck to you too! Hopefully I will see you at some point then as I would love to firm Swansea, however I first need to make sure it's definitely for me at the applicant day on the 7th March :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest