The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Van Mildert facebook page (This one looks genuine) https://www.facebook.com/groups/779107022138975/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Got allocated to St. Chad's for Psychology last week, anyone else on this thread with either of these?
Original post by Alexandra.H
Got allocated to St. Chad's for Psychology last week, anyone else on this thread with either of these?

Congratulations! I'm St Chad's too, but for English Lit and French :smile:
Original post by hwilliams97
Congratulations! I'm St Chad's too, but for English Lit and French :smile:

Ooh, well done to you too! Are you planning on going to one of the open days? I can't decide which haha
Original post by Alexandra.H
Ooh, well done to you too! Are you planning on going to one of the open days? I can't decide which haha

Yes I'll be going to the overnight one 16th-17th March :smile:
Original post by hwilliams97
Yes I'll be going to the overnight one 16th-17th March :smile:

That's the one I was thinking of going for but I'm not sure yet. I'll definitely go, I can't wait haha
Don't think I'm going to the accommodation thing :frown: i live 400 miles away in East sussex haha so bit of a pain to get there and I went for open day so I have a good ideea what it's like :smile:
Original post by Uberphuq
Don't think I'm going to the accommodation thing :frown: i live 400 miles away in East sussex haha so bit of a pain to get there and I went for open day so I have a good ideea what it's like :smile:

I'm from East Sussex too! Near Hastings :smile: I didn't go to the open day so I am making the long journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helenb96
I'm from East Sussex too! Near Hastings :smile: I didn't go to the open day so I am making the long journey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also near hastings :eek:
I've been offered somewhere which is fully catered, but I really want to be self catered. Is there any option for me to self-cater whilst staying in a fully catered college?
Original post by georgiaswift
I've been offered somewhere which is fully catered, but I really want to be self catered. Is there any option for me to self-cater whilst staying in a fully catered college?

Hi. Unless you have been allocated Cuth's then the short answer is no.

Some colleges may let you live out but it is generally strongly discouraged.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by francesca2602
Received a conditional offer (AAA) for Politics today! I'm so excited! :biggrin:

I'm hoping to firm Durham but I'll only be making the final decision once I've received a college allocation. I applied to Van Mildert college. :smile:

I applied to Butler which I really wanted but have been allocated Van Mildert, don't really know what it's like but wondering if you could give me some idea?
Anyone allocated Hild Bede?
Original post by melissafrat
Got a place at Durham to study BA Geography, at St Chads! Has anyone else received similar course or college offers to mine? I'd love to know

Geography at Josephine Butler (first choice) So excited !
Original post by southernbelle123
Hi. Unless you have been allocated Cuth's then the short answer is no.

Some colleges may let you live out but it is generally strongly discouraged.

So there's no way of cooking my own meals?

There is likely to be a kitchen in your halls but you'd be paying for catered so the time spent using it would be relatively low.

I also think it's stupid how there isn't more colleges with the option of self-catering.

I know people could argue why apply to Durham? But I did apply to Butler and I can't base my uni decision on being catered or self-catered.
Original post by ACarter8
I also think it's stupid how there isn't more colleges with the option of self-catering.

I know people could argue why apply to Durham? But I did apply to Butler and I can't base my uni decision on being catered or self-catered.

It's only for year one. But I agree there should be more self catering options available from the start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ACarter8

I applied to Butler as well. I think the fact that I didn't get a self-catered college will probably push me towards a different uni - I really don't want fully catered accommodation. I know it sounds bizarre but oh well :tongue:
I applied to Butler as well. I think the fact that I didn't get a self-catered college will probably push me towards a different uni - I really don't want fully catered accommodation. I know it sounds bizarre but oh well :tongue:

I am not sure you appreciate how important communal college life is at Durham and communal dining is generally seen to be at the backbone of this.

I would recommend you go to the residential Open Day but obviously Durham doesn't suit everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest