The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Monaco have scored 4 goals in the CL this season.
Original post by Mackay
A lot of Arsenal fans are being overly confident on my Twitter, though. It'll definitely be tight.

It's been years since they had a round of 16 tie that they weren't guaranteed to lose. Let them have their moment.
Monaco won't roll over easily for us tbh. They can be quite a threat having players like Moutinho, Traore, Silva, Berbatov using their pace and agility against us but then again i'm not expecting us to have anything less than a win.

Seriously wonder why this season alot of people write off big name clubs so easily asif they will just rollover on the pitch. Champions League games are quite bizarre, they can almost certainly go in any direction as alot of mid-table teams have won it previously aswell. The funniest thing though me hearing today is some guy on the Tube saying Porto will win the League this year and he would bet a tenner on it :rofl:.

Our boys will turn up and Wenger should have his tactics well adjusted so we do win not just our home tie, but away also, interesting to see Wenger reunite with his familiar past though. I hope Theo also gets a game in... Ozil, Theo, Alexis with Giroud upfront will be :sexface: :coma:

And why do alot of mans hate on Giroud? I see some person on youtube named Donkey Giroud out of our club, smh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Been a while since I got excited about a Champions League last 16 game! Hope we get Porto/Basel in the next round too, would be perfect!
what would you rather win this season..if we could lol..The PL or CL, ive seen people saying the CL isn't even that special anymore...there's been flukey wins before but the PL tests real talent hmm. But I think we really need a CL trophy, would do wonders for the 'low mentality' of our players too
Lol CL is infinitely better competition to win than the PL.
Scenes when we go out on away goals to Monaco
Monaco of last year would have pummeled us. Monaco of this year will just bore us to death.
Original post by deborarosa
what would you rather win this season..if we could lol..The PL or CL, ive seen people saying the CL isn't even that special anymore...there's been flukey wins before but the PL tests real talent hmm. But I think we really need a CL trophy, would do wonders for the 'low mentality' of our players too

CL is more special. We haven't won it before, we have won the league.
Original post by Stefano93
And why do alot of mans hate on Giroud? I see some person on youtube named Donkey Giroud out of our club, smh.

Because most fans - I'm throwing every club under the bus here - haven't a clue as to Giroud's role at the club. The guy gets slated because he doesn't score thirty goals per year, but Wenger never signed him to do that, and knows full-well that Giroud doesn't have the potential to be a thirty goal per season striker.

However, his physicality and technique make him such an underrated player. Not only does he have all the attributes required for the target man role: he's tall, he's strong, he knows how to hold the ball up and bring others into play, and is a threat from set pieces; but his little touches/passes around the box make him a considerably more cultured target man than his English counterpart in, say, Andy Carroll.

His goal ratio and assists are pretty good considering he only cost £10m~.

And yet there are fans crying out for a 'world class striker'. Funnily enough, whenever you ask them who we should sign, you get the same replies: Cavani or Benzema. £50m seems to be the minimum PSG and Real would accept for the aforementioned strikers - and you could easily argue that neither are willing to sell (Perez loves Benzema, and with Ibra retiring in two years Cavani makes perfect sense).

What doesn't make sense is paying at least £50m for someone who's the same age as Giroud and isn't a massive upgrade. I concede that Benzema is a better striker than Giroud, in almost every aspect, but £50m for a bloke who turns 28 this year and isn't a 30 goals per year striker is outrageous - he's no Suarez.

Since 2013, Giroud has 33 goals in 69 appearances, whilst Cavani has 40 goals in 71 apperances, and Benzema has 43 goals in 88 apperances. Cba digging up assists, but you get the gist.

Oli G's underrated and sexy as ****
(edited 9 years ago)
What ever happened to Gnabry?
Original post by Arkasia
Monaco of last year would have pummeled us. Monaco of this year will just bore us to death.

Heard Christoph Dugarry's comments about them this year?

"If I want to sleep, I'll watch Monaco".
Original post by Birdman1234567
What ever happened to Gnabry?

Mans a businessman. He's sitting in his multi-million pound house reading your comment and laughing all the way to the bank, or to the hospital.

Original post by Stalin
Because most fans - I'm throwing every club under the bus here - haven't a clue as to Giroud's role at the club. The guy gets slated because he doesn't score thirty goals per year, but Wenger never signed him to do that, and knows full-well that Giroud doesn't have the potential to be a thirty goal per season striker.

However, his physicality and technique make him such an underrated player. Not only does he have all the attributes required for the target man role: he's tall, he's strong, he knows how to hold the ball up and bring others into play, and is a threat from set pieces; but his little touches/passes around the box make him a considerably more cultured target man than his English counterpart in, say, Andy Carroll.

His goal ratio and assists are pretty good considering he only cost £10m~.

And yet there are fans crying out for a 'world class striker'. Funnily enough, whenever you ask them who we should sign, you get the same replies: Cavani or Benzema. £50m seems to be the minimum PSG and Real would accept for the aforementioned strikers - and you could easily argue that neither are willing to sell (Perez loves Benzema, and with Ibra retiring in two years Cavani makes perfect sense).

What doesn't make sense is paying at least £50m for someone who's the same age as Giroud and isn't a massive upgrade. I concede that Benzema is a better striker than Giroud, in almost every aspect, but £50m for a bloke who turns 28 this year and isn't a 30 goals per year striker is outrageous - he's no Suarez.

Since 2013, Giroud has 33 goals in 69 appearances, whilst Cavani has 40 goals in 71 apperances, and Benzema has 43 goals in 88 apperances. Cba digging up assists, but you get the gist.

Oli G's underrated and sexy as ****

Exactly this, can't understand the pathetic reasoning why Giroud isn't par 30 goals per season so should be sold off to some French Ligue 1 side. He's ability whether it be heading or straight controlling the space around him and his eye for goal are among the best attributes of a forward we can have. Plus I wouldn't want us splashing out £60 odd mil to sign another Di Maria flop.
Original post by Mackay
Heard Christoph Dugarry's comments about them this year? "If I want to sleep, I'll watch Monaco".

Sounds about right. The few times I have bothered to watch them on a stream, they seemed to win 1-0 due to a defensive mistake on the part of the opponent. People say Chelsea park the bus, but at least Chelsea know how to play intricate, attacking football. Monaco sold their attacking threats and have now just become like Arsenal used to. I remember one of our players (Dixon or Winterburne perhaps?) saying that once Ian Wright scored a goal, Arsenal knew they would win, because they weren't going to concede.
Original post by jam277
Lol CL is infinitely better competition to win than the PL.

Not infinitely, but definitely better. Arsenal are probably the best team in the world to not have won it, so it's a monkey we need to get off our back.
Original post by Arkasia
Sounds about right. The few times I have bothered to watch them on a stream, they seemed to win 1-0 due to a defensive mistake on the part of the opponent.

Yeah, they aren't a pretty side to watch.
Original post by Pete_91
Not infinitely, but definitely better. Arsenal are probably the best team in the world to not have won it, so it's a monkey we need to get off our back.

I'd agree with that, with Benfica, and now Atletico in the mix.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91

Arsenal's side pre-2006 probably, yeah.
Original post by Dr. Django
Awwww bbz I feel for you.

Manz got BT Broadband which gives BT sport for free...

It's not all that tho, I'd probs rather watch some ****ty foreign stream with bare buffering than Jake Humphrey and co providing 'insight'. Man should have stuck with bamzooki

Michael Owen is a tool as well, so ****ing nasal

Bamzooki, LOOOOOOOOOOOOL, you won comment of the thread bruh, Bamzooki was the **** back in day though, can't even lie.

Anyway to contribute to the thread, what XI do you think Arsenal should start with against Monaco?
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, they aren't a pretty side to watch.

They are an ugly side who will probably kick the absolute **** out of us and win 1-0 due to some scrappy set piece.

Latest