The Student Room Group

Why are most converts to Islam women?

From what I've read it's about 65% to 80% of all converts, depending on the area. You'd think the % for men would be far higher knowing islam's strong patriarchal stance, especially when compared to the attitudes of liberated:rolleyes: western women.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
islam actually puts women in a 'higher rank' compared to men. the women are more respected, you could say, and the women have many rights and have had these rights since the start of Islam. could be a reason for the higher percentage of women
Because islam gives them so many rights

More rights than the west™

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you post a link to any of your sources?
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Could you post a link to any of your sources?

http://www.islamswomen.com/articles/do_muslim_women_have_rights.php this pretty much sums up a lot :smile:
Reply 5
Possibly any of the reasons below:

They marry Muslim boyfriends.

They like the distinctive boundaries and role Islam asks of women.

The rigid, deterministic belief system is an escape from the nausea of endless choices the modern world lays before us.

They are submissive by nature.

They want lots of kids.

They would rather be a Mum straightaway than work in a career first.
Reply 6
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/women--islam-the-rise-and-rise-of-the-convert-6258015.html

In the past 10 years some 100,000 British people have converted to Islam, of whom some three-quarters are women, according to the latest statistics.

the average age of conversion is 27

What makes it even more surprising is that the average age is so young. We are talking the millenials, the super-''liberated'' females:rolleyes:

That link seems to conveniently gloss over Surat An-Nisa in the Qur'an, which says men can beat their wives when they're disobedient.
Reply 8
Original post by Marco1
Possibly any of the reasons below:

They marry Muslim boyfriends.

They like the distinctive boundaries and role Islam asks of women.

The rigid, deterministic belief system is an escape from the nausea of endless choices the modern world lays before us.

They are submissive by nature.

They want lots of kids.

They would rather be a Mum straightaway than work in a career first.

god, im really getting the vibe that you do not like islam LOOOOL
you really should look into a religion before making assumptions you know ... just saying
To fulfill the duties and desires of a man.
A women have to convert to marry (tend to be more easily led , so they are convinced to convert)
B islam allows a man to have 4 wives, so potentially this is above times 4
C many divorced /single mothers see this as a way to get a husband, and their boyfriend /husband gets citizenship
where does it say that??
Original post by yesyesrah
you really should look into a religion before making assumptions you know ... just saying

Why do you make the assumption that one cannot have looked into the religion deeply and still not like it?
Original post by h3isenberg
That link seems to conveniently gloss over Surat An-Nisa in the Qur'an, which says men can beat their wives when they're disobedient.

where does it say that?
where does it say that?

Surat An-Nisa...? Verse 4:34?

Have you read the Qur'an?
Why do you make the assumption that one cannot have looked into the religion deeply and still not like it?

did you study the commentary of An-Nisah?
Reply 16

Don't you think my suggestions have any possible truth to them?

yh thats true..
but i some things you said are not true.
for example, no where in islam does it say that a women cannot work while with a child or anything like that.
youre point about being a mum didnt make any sense to me?
"they want lots of kids" what does that have to do with islam LOL
yh thats true..
but i some things you said are not true.
for example, no where in islam does it say that a women cannot work while with a child or anything like that.
youre point about being a mum didnt make any sense to me?
"they want lots of kids" what does that have to do with islam LOL

I think you should reread this thread because you're accusing me of saying things that someone else said...
Original post by Marco1
Don't you think my suggestions have any possible truth to them?

nope not particularly..
maybe the boyfriend one, makes sense but not the others.

Quick Reply

Latest