The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham firmers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by goodwinning
Never realised how expensive uni accommodation is!

It's kind of just Brimingham's ridiculous pricing...my sister paid less at Oxford than the cheapest accommodation at Birmingham, and hers was catered :mad:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by amberskye
It's kind of just Brimingham's ridiculous pricing...my sister paid less at Oxford than the cheapest accommodation at Birmingham, and hers was catered :mad:

Is Birmingham an expensive city to live in?
Reply 42
Original post by IAmEchelon
Is Birmingham an expensive city to live in?

Not really, it's more expensive than other places in the midlands because it's a big city, but compared to the south where I'm from it's cheap. I know someone who has an apartment in the city centre and I can't remember the exact price, but it seemed really good value and it's modern/relatively big.

I just don't understand why UoB accommodation is so expensive :confused:
Reply 43
Original post by amberskye
Not really, it's more expensive than other places in the midlands because it's a big city, but compared to the south where I'm from it's cheap. I know someone who has an apartment in the city centre and I can't remember the exact price, but it seemed really good value and it's modern/relatively big.

I just don't understand why UoB accommodation is so expensive :confused:

Well, I've got Leeds as my insurance and their accommodation prices seem to be quite similar to Birmingham, which I found surprising as I'd expected it to be cheaper. In general, I think universities in big cities tend to have more expensive accommodation as opposed to somewhere smaller like Hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Jarratt or mason?
Not sure yet you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Well, I've got Leeds as my insurance and their accommodation prices seem to be quite similar to Birmingham, which I found surprising as I'd expected it to be cheaper. In general, I think universities in big cities tend to have more expensive accommodation as opposed to somewhere smaller like Hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds is my insurance too, have you applied for accommodation in Leeds as well as your firm choice?
Reply 47
Original post by rkhan57
Leeds is my insurance too, have you applied for accommodation in Leeds as well as your firm choice?

Yes, I have, just to be on the safe side. Didn't really put much time into though as I'm sure I won't be going there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Yes, I have, just to be on the safe side. Didn't really put much time into though as I'm sure I won't be going there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Birmingham your firm?
Reply 49
Original post by rkhan57
Is Birmingham your firm?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50

we have the same firm and insurance choice! what course? have you applied for Birmingham accommodation yet?

Also if you dont mind me asking, what made you chose Birmingham over Leeds?
Reply 51
I'm doing chemical engineering. What about you? And yes, I've also applied for accommodation at Birmingham too. I think it's best to get all your applications in as soon as.

Well, it came down to the open days for me. I hated it at Leeds and I really didn't feel like it was the right place for me whereas with Birmingham everyone was so friendly and welcoming I felt right at home. I felt that the atmosphere in general was better at Birmingham too. Also, Birmingham is a more renowned university and higher up the league tables than Leeds so that played a part in it too.

I actually can't wait for uni, I'm so excited :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have firmed birmingham now!!!
Doing Law and Criminology.

As for the accommodation, I do agree that it is rather expensive. I am looking at Pritchards Park more than The Vale as they have a little bit cheaper accommodation in general and I am not able to get a massive maintenance loan. I am expecting that the grants/loan I receive will only just cover the cost of the lower priced accommodation.

Is anyone else having similar issues in terms of finance?
Reply 53
Original post by jamielee97
I have firmed birmingham now!!!
Doing Law and Criminology.

As for the accommodation, I do agree that it is rather expensive. I am looking at Pritchards Park more than The Vale as they have a little bit cheaper accommodation in general and I am not able to get a massive maintenance loan. I am expecting that the grants/loan I receive will only just cover the cost of the lower priced accommodation.

Is anyone else having similar issues in terms of finance?

Same here, the only accommodation I'm applying for on The Vale is Maple Bank because the rest don't seem like good value and are too expensive (Mason!). I'd love to live on The Vale because everyone goes on about it so much and it is so picturesque there but finance gets in the way. It's annoying how most of them are on Meal Plan too. I'm looking mainly at Pritchatts Park too or possibly Victoria Hall because it's seems like the best value for money.

Luckily, the course I'm gonna be doing has some decent scholarships available so hopefully I'll get one of those and that'll be a massive help. Have you had a look to see if there's any scholarships or additional bursaries for your course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
I'm doing chemical engineering. What about you? And yes, I've also applied for accommodation at Birmingham too. I think it's best to get all your applications in as soon as.

Well, it came down to the open days for me. I hated it at Leeds and I really didn't feel like it was the right place for me whereas with Birmingham everyone was so friendly and welcoming I felt right at home. I felt that the atmosphere in general was better at Birmingham too. Also, Birmingham is a more renowned university and higher up the league tables than Leeds so that played a part in it too.

I actually can't wait for uni, I'm so excited :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law, what accommodation? Yes I felt that Leeds looked quite scary and I go to college in Leeds so did not expect that.
Reply 55
Original post by rkhan57
Law, what accommodation? Yes I felt that Leeds looked quite scary and I go to college in Leeds so did not expect that.

I didn't think it was scary, just gloomy and depressing not to mention the engineering building was literally falling to pieces. I didn't like the tutors either, they seemed like the typical middle aged men in engineering and were very standoffish especially compared to the tutors at Birmingham.

I've got Maple Bank, Ashcroft, Oakley Court, Victoria Hall and Jarratt Hall. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I didn't think it was scary, just gloomy and depressing not to mention the engineering building was literally falling to pieces. I didn't like the tutors either, they seemed like the typical middle aged men in engineering and were very standoffish especially compared to the tutors at Birmingham.

I've got Maple Bank, Ashcroft, Oakley Court, Victoria Hall and Jarratt Hall. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you put it into better words, I picked jarratt hall twice, mason and Oakley court
Reply 57
I've just firmed Birmingham for English and American/Canadian studies :-) Has anyone applied for accommodation at Tennis Courts or Jaratt Hall?
Original post by irodger
I've just firmed Birmingham for English and American/Canadian studies :-) Has anyone applied for accommodation at Tennis Courts or Jaratt Hall?

Meeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59

Did you go and look at either of them?? I only saw Shackleton on the tour (which is far too expensive) and have firmed TC and JH purely because friends have told me that they have an amazing vibe...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending