The Student Room Group

Which is the best law school for a Hong Kong student: Bristol, Nottingham, Durham?

Hi, I would like to seek advice on the best law school for a Hong Kong student to choose among Bristol, Nottingham and Durham on the following attributes:

1. relative easiness in getting a first honour degree

2. reputation popularity by prospective law firm employers in Hong Kong

3. quality of teaching

4. Minimum conversion courses before applying PCLL in universities in Hong Kong

5. Preference by the three universities in Hong Kong offering PCLL course

Thanks.
Original post by pathfinderhk
Hi, I would like to seek advice on the best law school for a Hong Kong student to choose among Bristol, Nottingham and Durham on the following attributes:

1. relative easiness in getting a first honour degree

2. reputation popularity by prospective law firm employers in Hong Kong

3. quality of teaching

4. Minimum conversion courses before applying PCLL in universities in Hong Kong

5. Preference by the three universities in Hong Kong offering PCLL course

Thanks.

Durham is one of the most prestigious in the country, but Nottingham and Bristol are also well respected. None of them will be easy it get a first.
OXford
Original post by Hannahmay01
Durham is one of the most prestigious in the country, but Nottingham and Bristol are also well respected. None of them will be easy it get a first.

Thanks. Sometimes the ranking is quite confusing. Durham ranks within top ten in all UK universities ranking whereas Bristol ranks down below 20 (KCL was even lower). Yet in the international QS university ranking, Bristol ranks 29 (KCL ranks within 20) but Durham ranks 90. There is also an international QS university law subject ranking, Bristol ranks within 50 with Durham ranks outside 50.
Thanks. Sometimes the ranking is quite confusing. Durham ranks within top ten in all UK universities ranking whereas Bristol ranks down below 20 (KCL was even lower). Yet in the international QS university ranking, Bristol ranks 29 (KCL ranks within 20) but Durham ranks 90. There is also an international QS university law subject ranking, Bristol ranks within 50 with Durham ranks outside 50.

Hi I'm from HK too. I'd say Durham, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much, as long as your grades are top notch. You'll get into PCLL with a First in any of these universities, and I'd say you would have a good chance with a 2.1
Original post by hellofello
Hi I'm from HK too. I'd say Durham, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter that much, as long as your grades are top notch. You'll get into PCLL with a First in any of these universities, and I'd say you would have a good chance with a 2.1

Thanks. Are you currently a law student? Which university are you now attending? Is it true that HK international law firms will go the unversities for recruitment of summer intern? I was told that they won't go up to northern cities like Durham, true?
Thanks. Are you currently a law student? Which university are you now attending? Is it true that HK international law firms will go the unversities for recruitment of summer intern? I was told that they won't go up to northern cities like Durham, true?

Nope I'm starting university in September as well, and at KCL.

I don't know too much about how international law firms recruit and whether they will head to Durham or not. But I feel that in terms of reputation, Durham slightly edges Nottingham and Bristol. Wherever you end up though, your grades will be the most important. A first in Bristol/Nottingham is definitely better than 2.1 at Durham. Grades >> Reputation in most cases.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hellofello
Nope I'm starting university in September as well, and at KCL.

I don't know too much about how international law firms recruit and whether they will head to Durham or not. But I feel that in terms of reputation, Durham slightly edges Nottingham and Bristol. Wherever you end up though, your grades will be the most important. A first in Bristol/Nottingham is definitely better than 2.1 at Durham. Grades >> Reputation in most cases.

Congratulations to your entry to KCL! What are your five choices in UCAS application?
Congratulations to your entry to KCL! What are your five choices in UCAS application?

Thanks! I applied to KCL, UCL, Warwick, Exeter, and Cambridge.

Conditional offers from KCL, Warwick, unconditional from Exeter, and rejections from UCL and Cambridge (post-interview). You?
x

Hello, fellow Hong Kong member, congrats on your offers. :smile:

Aside from Oxbridge, it should go LSE/UCL > Durham > Nottingham > Bristol. Then again, as the person above mentioned, all three of your choices are prestigious and grades are the most important.

Which one do you personally prefer after looking at the department websites?
Original post by vital-phenomena
Hello, fellow Hong Kong member, congrats on your offers. :smile:

Aside from Oxbridge, it should go LSE/UCL > Durham > Nottingham > Bristol. Then again, as the person above mentioned, all three of your choices are prestigious and grades are the most important.

Which one do you personally prefer after looking at the department websites?

Hi! are you studying Law/planning to study Law in the UK too? :]

I study education at Durham. I have friends that do law at Durham. It is not true that law firms do not come to Durham, the careers service is excellent and invites many highly respected law firms to the university and has good links with employers. Law firms want to go to top universities such as Durham as the quality of graduates is very high.
I think for law firms in Hk.....

Oxbridge

Londons ( LSE UCL KCL )

Rest of top 10?
I have offers from both KCL and HKU (LLB), should I stay in HK or go to London? (In regards to the current political situation in HK, the epidemic in UK, and my future career prospects.
Original post by Kittydoggy
I have offers from both KCL and HKU (LLB), should I stay in HK or go to London? (In regards to the current political situation in HK, the epidemic in UK, and my future career prospects.

This thread is going to be closed as it is 5 years old. If you want to ask the community a new question, please start a new thread to do so. Thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending