The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Exams are worth more than coursework, yeah, it's typically around a 70:30 split. You do get the odd practical module which has a heavier focus on lab work, though.

Coursework is mostly made up of labs and tutorials, sometimes you get given online tests to do as well but they usually make up a smaller percentage of your grade.

Hello, handmade turnip!
Nice username haha 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by milkberries
Hello, handmade turnip!
Nice username haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello milkberries. :smile:

We both seem to be from the school of combining random, unrelated words to make usernames. Or maybe yours has more meaning than mine, I don't know.
Offer to do international business AAB, stuck between Manchester and Birmingham?? Anyone who has any advice would be appreciated or knows anyone that goes to one of them! I think I'd prefer Manchester as a city but I would like the campus feel that Birmingham has plus the accommodation at Birmingham is a lot better than Manchester! BUT Manchester business school is better than Birmingham according to most websites so I'm stuck really!

Any opinions/advice would help massively!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshH3
Offer to do international business AAB, stuck between Manchester and Birmingham?? Anyone who has any advice would be appreciated or knows anyone that goes to one of them! I think I'd prefer Manchester as a city but I would like the campus feel that Birmingham has plus the accommodation at Birmingham is a lot better than Manchester! BUT Manchester business school is better than Birmingham according to most websites so I'm stuck really!

Any opinions/advice would help massively!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The two unis are pretty similar in many ways - Russell Group, near a city centre and large.

I've never been able to understand the hype about campus unis though - very often the only real distinction between the two seems to be that campus unis don't have outside traffic passing through them. Manchester is classed as a city uni, but all the academic buildings are really close together, and it's on the busiest bus route in Europe, which makes travel super convenient.

Some of the accommodation at Manchester isn't hugely aesthetically pleasing, I'll grant you. However, you need to take into account that you'll only be living there for one academic year (7 months of term time), whereas you'll be spending three years at the university as a whole. All UoM accommodation is fundamentally sound (i.e. you're not going to have problems with damp or vermin). I can assure you that when you look back on your time in halls, what you remember won't be how aesthetically pleasing the kitchen was - it'll be the people you met and the experiences you had. There's some more info and photos about UoM halls at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

One good thing about Manchester is the opportunity to do a placement year. It's a fantastic way to gain the skills and experience that graduate employers want to see, and it really will make you more employable.

League tables are one of those things that should be used with extreme caution - there's a good bit of info here on what they do and don't show http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372 Whilst I can't claim to be familiar with Birmingham's Business School, I do know that Manchester's is very highly regarded.

Are there any activities that you take part in on an extra curricular basis, or anything you might like to get involved with at uni? It might be that one uni / city has the facilities for it whereas the other doesn't, which could sway your decision.

Have you visited both unis?
Original post by mpharm_champ
I had an interview yesterday 18th but couldn't attend as I was ill so I got a new date in March. Would love to know what the interview/open day was like as well tho

Provided the pharm interview format is still the same as last year ,you'll be alright!
It's a 1:1 ,there are a few assessments if I remember correctly .
Nothing to worry about ,just be your best self!
(Gap year , re-applicant to manchester after going for the wrong institution last year,offer without interview this year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Yay congrats!!! Me too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iceangel8
Got my interview for Geography on Wednesday. Does anyone know if they ask you stuff from your personal statement - haven't looked at that in months!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I know this was a while ago but what was it like? Was it formal? I have one for geography and I'm so nervous, there's nothing online for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
The two unis are pretty similar in many ways - Russell Group, near a city centre and large.

I've never been able to understand the hype about campus unis though - very often the only real distinction between the two seems to be that campus unis don't have outside traffic passing through them. Manchester is classed as a city uni, but all the academic buildings are really close together, and it's on the busiest bus route in Europe, which makes travel super convenient.

Some of the accommodation at Manchester isn't hugely aesthetically pleasing, I'll grant you. However, you need to take into account that you'll only be living there for one academic year (7 months of term time), whereas you'll be spending three years at the university as a whole. All UoM accommodation is fundamentally sound (i.e. you're not going to have problems with damp or vermin). I can assure you that when you look back on your time in halls, what you remember won't be how aesthetically pleasing the kitchen was - it'll be the people you met and the experiences you had. There's some more info and photos about UoM halls at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

One good thing about Manchester is the opportunity to do a placement year. It's a fantastic way to gain the skills and experience that graduate employers want to see, and it really will make you more employable.

League tables are one of those things that should be used with extreme caution - there's a good bit of info here on what they do and don't show http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372 Whilst I can't claim to be familiar with Birmingham's Business School, I do know that Manchester's is very highly regarded.

Are there any activities that you take part in on an extra curricular basis, or anything you might like to get involved with at uni? It might be that one uni / city has the facilities for it whereas the other doesn't, which could sway your decision.

Have you visited both unis?

So is Manchester like a campus uni then because the buildings are so close together and is there literally just students walking around? Also what's the main student night?
Yeah it's not the best haha, they're investing a lot though! Yeah that's very true, I applied for sheavyn, Richmond and woolton over a week ago, do you know what my chances might be of getting one of the first two? Birmingham as a whole seems to be regarded as a better more respected uni though or is that not true?
Yeah I'd look to join quite a few sports teams and then some subject related societies to do with business so you build up your contacts list which will help you later in life, yeah I've been to both unis now going back to Birmingham in March for the business open day! I'm swaying towards Manchester because the business school has a very good rep, especially for MBA, the fallowfield social life seems sick, Manchester nightlife is supposedly a lot better than Birmingham? And I think I'd prefer the city more! Read somewhere Manchester uni is 3/4 international students?
Thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1709
Hello everyone! I have a question for girls: what did you wear or intend to wear for the interview? I know this is not that important, however, I'm quite concerned about it :biggrin:
Original post by Usiman
Hello everyone! I have a question for girls: what did you wear or intend to wear for the interview? I know this is not that important, however, I'm quite concerned about it :biggrin:

A dress, fishnets and Dr martens :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JoshH3
So is Manchester like a campus uni then because the buildings are so close together and is there literally just students walking around? Also what's the main student night?
Yeah it's not the best haha, they're investing a lot though! Yeah that's very true, I applied for sheavyn, Richmond and woolton over a week ago, do you know what my chances might be of getting one of the first two? Birmingham as a whole seems to be regarded as a better more respected uni though or is that not true?
Yeah I'd look to join quite a few sports teams and then some subject related societies to do with business so you build up your contacts list which will help you later in life, yeah I've been to both unis now going back to Birmingham in March for the business open day! I'm swaying towards Manchester because the business school has a very good rep, especially for MBA, the fallowfield social life seems sick, Manchester nightlife is supposedly a lot better than Birmingham? And I think I'd prefer the city more! Read somewhere Manchester uni is 3/4 international students?
Thanks for the help!
Posted from TSR Mobile

The distinction between campus and city uni is pretty blurred tbh. The academic buildings are pretty much all in one location (bar a few engineering buildings, which are about 400m away). Some of the halls are off campus, but it's not a problem because of the excellent bus service.

The streets within the university are open to the public, so it's not just students, but most people you see are students or university staff. I quite like having an open campus - it means that the university is part of the fabric of the city, not stuck, isolated, on the edge of the city.

Manchester has a LOT of nightlife, so there's no one main student night. You can get an idea of what's on at http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Manchester/ Manchester's nightlife is amazing, but I've no idea about Birmingham's!

Those three halls are pretty competitive, and tbh there's no stats for your chances of getting one of those three halls. However, on average, 80% of students get one of their three choices, so your chances aren't bad at all. Even if you don't get one of your three choices, you're still guaranteed a place in halls. They'll look at your three options, see that you're clearly keen to be in Fallowfield, and will try to find you an alternative place in Fallowfield.

The two unis overall are on a par in terms of reputation - both solid, high achieving Russell Group unis. MBS does have an excellent reputation as a whole, though truth be told the MBA's reputation is irrelevant to you as an undergraduate.

You can see all the different sports opportunities at:
Manchester: http://sport.manchester.ac.uk/sport/sportandfitness/
Birmingham: http://www.sport.bham.ac.uk/SportsListing.aspx?sitesectionid=40&sitesectiontitle=Sports+Clubs

Clubs:
Manchester (click on 'clubs and societies' on the left hand side) http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/groups
Birmingham:http://www.guildofstudents.com/groupsandvolunteering/studentgroups/groupsandsocieties/

Manchester definitely isn't 75% international! About 25% of the students come from outside the EU, with the remainder coming from the UK or EU. I suspect it's higher within MBS though - business and management is a very popular subject area with international students.

Original post by Usiman

You just need to wear something clean and presentable - aim for smart casual. There's no need for a suit, but try to avoid ripped jeans.
Original post by Cleo_97
Sorry I know this was a while ago but what was it like? Was it formal? I have one for geography and I'm so nervous, there's nothing online for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh no seriously don't worry! It's so informal and assume they'll give you an offer anyway it's just so that they have a record of you and notes to look at come results day if you miss your grades. Depending on who you have they might not ask you anything on your PS, they didn't for me. It was actually a really fun day (plus nice cake :smile:)
Original post by Usiman

Jeans, shirt and jumper. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck in getting into Manchester guys! I've been rejected after interview so I'm out of here now. :smile:
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Good luck in getting into Manchester guys! I've been rejected after interview so I'm out of here now. :smile:

What happened?
Original post by SuperPear
What happened?

I don't really know mate. The moment must have just got to me. :colondollar:
I don't really know mate. The moment must have just got to me. :colondollar:

Hopefully Manchester wasn't your first choice. :redface:

You got all the offers from your other choices yet?
Original post by SuperPear
Hopefully Manchester wasn't your first choice. :redface:

You got all the offers from your other choices yet?

It was a contender for first choice haha but yeah I'm ok because the other 4 gave me an offer. :smile:
It was a contender for first choice haha but yeah I'm ok because the other 4 gave me an offer. :smile:

May I ask what course did you applied for?

Latest

Trending

Trending