The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Makashima
thanks!
yeah cos my teacher said imagine there's a positive test charge between them and which is more neg or pos, so this and that so it kinda got a bit too complicated....
i understand now ^_^

Ah! That's a nice way to remember it!

Also with similar charges there is a point between them where the net E is zero, only way this can be possible is if they subtract.

And with the formula I've put them separately just to show how they add or subtract but you can also put them over a common denominator it becomes (q1+or-q2)/4πεr2. So yeah nice and simple in the end :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a mock tomorrow for this unit on everything except medical imagining and nuclear physics :P
Did all the papers and stuff xD
Please watch over me guys >_<
Reply 42
I have a mock tomorrow for this unit on everything except medical imagining and nuclear physics :P
Did all the papers and stuff xD
Please watch over me guys >_<

So...how did it go?

got 1% off an A in the G485 mock we had before half term, so many silly mistakes dammit :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MO2898
So...how did it go?

got 1% off an A in the G485 mock we had before half term, so many silly mistakes dammit :frown:

OH MY GAH 1%!
But isnt UMS is more important then grade, so you got a very high UMS!
Which paper did you do, our paper was all muddled up with random questions from various papers so it is harder, as someone may memorise by accident the correct mark scheme...

Result out next week, tell you then but the boundaries are going to be 80% A and then so on.
Reply 44
OH MY GAH 1%!
But isnt UMS is more important then grade, so you got a very high UMS!
Which paper did you do, our paper was all muddled up with random questions from various papers so it is harder, as someone may memorise by accident the correct mark scheme...

Result out next week, tell you then but the boundaries are going to be 80% A and then so on.

Ours was the June 2014 paper. I could have had a peek before hand but I guess that just destroys the purpose IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MO2898
Ours was the June 2014 paper. I could have had a peek before hand but I guess that just destroys the purpose IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you happen to have a copy which I can look xD
Cos I am very curious if it is somewhat similar to the past papers because seeing the unit 4 2014 paper and it was so much more harder like woah dude calm down.
Reply 46
Would you happen to have a copy which I can look xD
Cos I am very curious if it is somewhat similar to the past papers because seeing the unit 4 2014 paper and it was so much more harder like woah dude calm down.

I know man the G484 june 14 paper was crazy! OCR were like "hey look we've given you an extra 15 minutes" but little did we know they'd popped an extra question in there.

Yeah sure I'll attach some of the questions. Bearing in mind the A grade was 69/100 I'd say that was hard too, and a pretty harsh (IMO) mark scheme to go with it.

Loads of unintentional slip-ups, please try not to hurt yourself from excessive laughter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MO2898
I know man the G484 june 14 paper was crazy! OCR were like "hey look we've given you an extra 15 minutes" but little did we know they'd popped an extra question in there.

Yeah sure I'll attach some of the questions. Bearing in mind the A grade was 69/100 I'd say that was hard too, and a pretty harsh (IMO) mark scheme to go with it.

Loads of unintentional slip-ups, please try not to hurt yourself from excessive laughter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you in terms of content.

For this module specifically I have nuclear physics and the space module per se left to revise over.
Reply 48
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Where are you in terms of content.

For this module specifically I have nuclear physics and the space module per se left to revise over.

We're currently on the last topic of med (MRI; also in my opinion the toughest) and then we're onto space.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MO2898
We're currently on the last topic of med (MRI; also in my opinion the toughest) and then we're onto space.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, you just revise the mark scheme past questions of medical physics....

How long did it take you to get through nuclear?

Are you applying/applied to oxbridge
Reply 50
lol, you just revise the mark scheme past questions of medical physics....

How long did it take you to get through nuclear?

Are you applying/applied to oxbridge

Could do, if you're not going for further study in physics I guess.

It took us about three weeks.

No, my firm choice is the university of Glasgow :smile:. Have you applied to oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MO2898
Could do, if you're not going for further study in physics I guess.

It took us about three weeks.

No, my firm choice is the university of Glasgow :smile:. Have you applied to oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh, were said shots fired :d

Ah right, that's not too bad.

Yeah Oxford. Ah nice, Physics?

How are you finding this module?
Reply 52
ooh, were said shots fired :d

Ah right, that's not too bad.

Yeah Oxford. Ah nice, Physics?

How are you finding this module?

COD pun I see.

Yeah physics wbu? And the paper's don't seem too nice but for me G482 is a bit harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MO2898
COD pun I see.

Yeah physics wbu? And the paper's don't seem too nice but for me G482 is a bit harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1v1 me rust m9?

I played my fair share back in the day and by fair share - I mean all the tiem :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Econ with management. The content this year looks so much better than AS.

Did you do the PAT, also are you doing further maths?

I like physics. Kind of wish I appreciated it more before.

Seen the last question on the g484 june 2014?

Good luck cod brah
Reply 54
1v1 me rust m9?

I played my fair share back in the day and by fair share - I mean all the tiem :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Econ with management. The content this year looks so much better than AS.

Did you do the PAT, also are you doing further maths?

I like physics. Kind of wish I appreciated it more before.

Seen the last question on the g484 june 2014?

Good luck cod brah

Yeah it was all going on back in the day, nowadays however there would be too much of an opportunity cost involved :wink:

Couldn't agree more

No and no, but I did do the British physics olympiad.

Q7 2014 was sneaky

Same to you brah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain to me what this means?

'Work is done against the repulsive force'

This is the answer to a question about Lenz's law, where the North Pole of a magnet is brought towards a solenoid
The question asks to state the polarity of the solenoid at this end and explain using ideas of energy conservation.
So the polarity is North, which I understand. But I don't understand why the above quoted sentence is the explanation in terms of energy conservation.

For the North Pole being brought back out again, the solenoid would become South at this end right? And so the energy explanation would be: work is done against at attractive force?

But can someone still explain how work being done against the force ensures the law of energy conservation is not violated?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hilton184
Can someone explain to me what this means?

'Work is done against the repulsive force'

This is the answer to a question about Lenz's law, where the North Pole of a magnet is brought towards a solenoid
The question asks to state the polarity of the solenoid at this end and explain using ideas of energy conservation.
So the polarity is North, which I understand. But I don't understand why the above quoted sentence is the explanation in terms of energy conservation.

For the North Pole being brought back out again, the solenoid would become South at this end right? And so the energy explanation would be: work is done against at attractive force?

But can someone still explain how work being done against the force ensures the law of energy conservation is not violated?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think. Imagine what would happen if, when you moved the N pole of the magnet towards the solenoid, that end of the solenoid became a S pole as a result?
How would that relate to conservation of energy?
Original post by Stonebridge
Think. Imagine what would happen if, when you moved the N pole of the magnet towards the solenoid, that end of the solenoid became a S pole as a result?
How would that relate to conservation of energy?

The magnet would experience a force towards the solenoid.
Ahh
That would induce more emf
So experiences more force etc etc
And that is creating energy and so violates the law of conservation of energy, right?

So the magnet must be North, so that work is done against the repulsive force and hence energy is conserved - is that correct?
Electromagnetic induction is the toughest topic I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hilton184
The magnet would experience a force towards the solenoid.
Ahh
That would induce more emf
So experiences more force etc etc
And that is creating energy and so violates the law of conservation of energy, right?

So the magnet must be North, so that work is done against the repulsive force and hence energy is conserved - is that correct?
Electromagnetic induction is the toughest topic I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's basically it.
If a S pole was induced, moving the magnet slightly towards the solenoid would cause it to be attracted, thus moving further and faster. This would generate energy from nowhere.
Yes em induction is a difficult topic. The number of questions asking for help on this topic here is what leads me that conclusion...
Original post by Stonebridge
That's basically it.
If a S pole was induced, moving the magnet slightly towards the solenoid would cause it to be attracted, thus moving further and faster. This would generate energy from nowhere.
Yes em induction is a difficult topic. The number of questions asking for help on this topic here is what leads me that conclusion...

Thanks for your help!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending