The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binarythoughts
How we see God is a direct reflection of how we see ourselves. If God brings to mind mostly fear and blame, it means there is too much fear and blame welled inside us. If we see God as full of love and compassion, so are we.
(One of the forty rules of love)

I disagree. No reason why you can't fear God alot and also seem him full of love and compassion.
+1 Zam
Original post by IdeasForLife
I disagree. No reason why you can't fear God alot and also seem him full of love and compassion.

Was definitely expecting retaliation on this one
You can fear Him, but personally, at the thought of Him, what comes to mind is love not fear
Everyone has different opinions.
You can fear Him, but personally, at the thought of Him, what comes to mind is love not fear

Here's my view on the topic;

I begin in the name of Allah swt, the most beneficent, the most merciful. I testify there is only one God, not by virtue of him being numerically quantified, but by being unique, the only immaterial neccesary existence, who has no form and can not be divided, quantified, or comprehended.

Firstly, Allah swt (The only immaterial, incomparable, necessary existence i.e God) is free of need. He does not feel emotion, nor does he change states, nor is he in need of us. So why then, are we told to pray five times a day, and why then do some of us have 'fear' of our lord?

To answer this, we need to consider what our purpose is as human beings, and who and what we are. We humans have no match or equal on this planet. We have, using intelligence, produced empires, dynasties, cities, technologies, art, poetry, advancements in medicine and science, expanded vastly in so many aspects and dimensions. We were given intelligence by the creator - and this is evidenced by our ability to think, our excellent compilations of deep thinking and marvelous philosophy. And hence, being given these facets , we are able to reflect more on our purpose.

There's a famous quote which goes by 'with great power, comes great responsibility'. Our intelligence, our sense of morality, our privelleges do not come alone. They also come with responsibility, rights, duties to ourselves and to other human beings.

Additionally and perhaps most importantly, it is a duty to know God, to know the ultimate of all ultimate, and the term 'ultimate' barely is befitting of him. Once we know the existence of God, the one upon whom we all ultimately rely, and that therefore we are not in existence by chance, but by purpose, we then begin to reflect on ourselves, our intelligence, our philosophies, our very being and essence, and realize how privileged we are, and what duty is coupled to us.

When i say i fear my lord, yet love my lord, i do not mean i fear him because he scares me, or he frightens me. Usually we fear things that are a threat to us, things which often will harm us and we want to avoid them. Fearing in the context of Allah swt is the state of being God-fearing , in the sense i fear disobeying the creator of all things, abusing the privilege i have, the beauty of intellect, the beauty of self reflection, of morality, of consciousness and being utterly ungrateful for these things, thus tossing aside the responsibilities i have.

Of earning punishment due to no fault but my own.

If you raped someone in your class or workplace, and later realized what a wrong thing you did, yet feared punishment, it could be possible that as well as fearing the retribution of what you have done being accountable by law and punishment, you also feel remorse for abusing someone, causing pain, abusing the duty, intellect, core sense of morality you were imbued with as a human being. And hence the fear is disobeying such an intrinsic moral code.

This is something some non-muslims and even some muslims misconstrue when we say 'fear Allah'. It means fear the privellege as well as the duty to uphold the responsibility coupled with that proigvelle. Do not be ungrateful and negligent, and arrogant.

I speak to myself, preach to my own self first, so if i falter in practicing what i preach , witness i have preached to my own self first, and i pray to Allah swt to grant us wisdom, understanding, intellect to struggle in his cause.

I replied because fearing Allah is not something we should be ashamed of. Certain people have constantly been moaning about this elsewhere but we as Muslims are not here to please them and shouldn't try to nudge fear out of the equation.
[video="youtube;UM40PM6ZX-4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM40PM6ZX-4&feature=gp-n-o&google_comment_id=z13su1u54qyd ctrx204chvzx2maavhp5bxc0k[/video]
Original post by Tawheed
When i say i fear my lord, yet love my lord, i do not mean i fear him because he scares me, or he frightens me. Usually we fear things that are a threat to us, things which often will harm us and we want to avoid them. Fearing in the context of Allah swt is the state of being God-fearing , in the sense i fear disobeying the creator of all things, abusing the privilege i have, the beauty of intellect, the beauty of self reflection, of morality, of consciousness and being utterly ungrateful for these things, thus tossing aside the responsibilities i have.

Well said. The fear of Allah is more like fearful respect.
I replied because fearing Allah is not something we should be ashamed of. Certain people have constantly been moaning about this elsewhere but we as Muslims are not here to please them and shouldn't try to nudge fear out of the equation.

We need to elaborate on what we mean by 'fear'. Do we mean we fear Allah swt, like we fear a dictator who will wrongly harm us and persecute us? Or is out fear a mixture of awe of his majesty, of the intrinsic qualities we have been imbued , such as intellect , reflection, rationality, and we fear disobeying the God who has given us such blessings, and so, letting our own-selves down by shunning the duties that are coupled with such powerful gifts? So if we incur punishment, it is not fearing a dictator harming us, but fearing the harm we will walk into of our own accord.

People stalking what we muslims write usually already have concluded Islam is 'nonsense', they don't want to be convinced (not all, but some as i admit there could be some or many who are sincere), and usually, anything little thing they will blow out of context to suit their own agenda's. It's come to a time like you said about the hellfire verse's we need to be very careful.
(edited 9 years ago)

No we shouldn't
But Allah refers to Himself as Ar Rahman and Ar Raheem in the beginning of 113 out of 114 Surahs in the Qur'an
Not Al Muntaqim although that is one of His attributes
Original post by Ankabout
Ash has voted? I didn't see it lol.

On the authority of Ibn Singh, it was reported that Zamestaneh heard Ash Bin Ninety-Two Al Smiley-Face say via WhatsApp: "Correct the spacing as Tpos has said and, by He who possesses me in His right hand, you have my vote, for verily this is a great innovation!"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
We need to elaborate on what we mean by 'fear'. Do we mean we fear Allah swt, like we fear a dictator who will wrongly harm us and persecute us? Or is out fear a mixture of awe of his majesty, of the intrinsic qualities we have been imbued , such as intellect , reflection, rationality, and we fear disobeying the God who has given us such blessings, and so, letting our own-selves down by shunning the duties that are coupled with such powerful gifts? So if we incur punishment, it is not fearing a dictator harming us, but fearing the harm we will walk into of our own accord.

People stalking what we muslims write usually already have concluded Islam is 'nonsense', they don't want to be convinced (not all, but some as i admit there could be some or many who are sincere), and usually, anything little thing they will blow out of context to suit their own agenda's. It's come to a time like you said about the hellfire verse's we need to be very careful.

Elaborate away man, you're doing a good job already. :yy:

I'm just being rather blunt atm because I've got work to do and cba with long replies.

No we shouldn't
But Allah refers to Himself as Ar Rahman and Ar Raheem in the beginning of 113 out of 114 Surahs in the Qur'an
Not Al Muntaqim although that is one of His attributes

Thats good, we agree :biggrin:
I never denied any of those :redface:
Original post by Zamestaneh
On the authority of Ibn Singh, it was reported that Zamestaneh heard Ash Bin Ninety-Two Al Smiley-Face say "Correct the spacing as Tpos has said and, by He who possesses me in His right hand, you have my vote, for verily this is a great innovation!"

Anyway, back to work!
On the authority of Ibn Singh, it was reported that Zamestaneh heard Ash Bin Ninety-Two Al Smiley-Face say "Correct the spacing as Tpos has said and, by He who possesses me in His right hand, you have my vote, for verily this is a great innovation!"

:lol:
Original post by Tawheed

So do you think that's the definition of fear most Muslims operate on?
So do you think that's the definition of fear most Muslims operate on?

Allah swt constantly talks about his mercy. Before every Surah we are told to recite - in the name of Allah the most beneficent the most merciful.

I would hope it is. If it weren't , then something clearly is wrong with our comprehension levels as an Ummah.
On the authority of Ibn Singh, it was reported that Zamestaneh heard Ash Bin Ninety-Two Al Smiley-Face say via WhatsApp: "Correct the spacing as Tpos has said and, by He who possesses me in His right hand, you have my vote, for verily this is a great innovation!"

Lol, nice daleel. :gthumb:
Salaam all.
This is my humble contribution.
No fancy background though, don't know how to make them

Latest

Trending

Trending