The Student Room Group

Do you think society is getting too liberal?

I do wonder whether this country would be a better place without all those goddamn filthy liberals blaming society and the government for all their problems #RightisRight

come at me bro

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It isn't even remotely liberal enough.
Original post by ilem

truth
Depends, honestly i'm not 100% sure what's meant by liberal in this example.

I believe all drugs should be legalised and most importantly regulated, and that people should generally have the freedom to do what they want without causing harm or loss (or potential harm or loss).

I however hate feminism and SJW's and i can't believe how much sway they have over society these days e.g getting a top scientist to apologise for his choice of ****ing shirt, getting page 3 dropped etc etc
I don't think it's that liberal at all really :s-smilie:
Original post by Spetznaaz
Depends, honestly i'm not 100% sure what's meant by liberal in this example.

I believe all drugs should be legalised and most importantly regulated, and that people should generally have the freedom to do what they want without causing harm or loss (or potential harm or loss).

I however hate feminism and SJW's and i can't believe how much sway they have over society these days e.g getting a top scientist to apologise for his choice of ****ing shirt, getting page 3 dropped etc etc

Fthy SJW liberals giving my country a bad name
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't think it's that liberal at all really :s-smilie:

Original post by charlottelouise-
truth

Original post by ilem

In what ways?
It's not liberal enough. Authoritarianism and state power rule the day.
Reply 8
Not liberal enough.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

Original post by RobertWhite
Not liberal enough.

Whoa guys you can get banned for saying such things!
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Whoa guys you can get banned for saying such things!

how so? it's an opinion :P
It's not liberal enough, so no.

Liberalism isn't the opposite of authoritarianism though. Liberals can still want government control/regulation usually on the economic side of things.

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I do wonder whether this country would be a better place without all those goddamn filthy liberals blaming society and the government for all their problems #RightisRight

I hate this new wave of liberalism and I agree it's screwing things up (see: feminazis and SJWs) but I agree with a lot of ideas of classic liberalism.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
Liberalism isn't the opposite of authoritarianism though. Liberals can still want government control/regulation usually on the economic side of things.

I hate this new wave of liberalism and I agree it's screwing things up (see: feminazis and SJWs) but I agree with a lot of ideas of classic liberalism.

I often use "liberalism" to refer in economic and social liberalism i.e. what you call classical liberalism.
The problem with current trends of Liberalism is that it is also paired with this search for "equality", whatever that is. No one has been able to explain it to me thus far. The problem with having a small state and equality is that state intervention is required to keep the motivated earners down and the scrounging poor up.

If we had my way, the family unit would be the only way to succeed in life and society would be far better off as a result. More families, less broken homes, more social cohesion.

One man said it best, regarding divorce and broken homes: if you are in a possibly sinking ship, or one that is heading towards an iceberg; if there are lifeboats already surrounding you then you dive in to the life boat and allow the ship to sink. If you have no life support, you make it work and steer the ship from disaster. Currently children are far more being born into broken homes by selfish parents who don't try to make their relationships work. I think this is largely due to the individualist ethos of modern society. Something feminism and liberalism have to answer for.
I think it's getting too liberal in certain areas, not liberal enough in other areas, but I recognize the fact that my opinion is in an increasingly small minority, so perhaps I am wrong.
Reply 16
I think people exaggerate their perception of their sphere of influence in order to fit their own narrative about deserving their success, or in this case deserving their failure.

In reality people are responsible for little.
I often use "liberalism" to refer in economic and social liberalism i.e. what you call classical liberalism.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I was just making sure lol. I agree with you on that, the government has too much influence on people day-to-day lives in my opinion and it's a shame that modern liberalism is supporting this nanny state.
Original post by miser
I think people exaggerate their perception of their sphere of influence in order to fit their own narrative about deserving their success, or in this case deserving their failure.

In reality people are responsible for little.

Louis Althusser is that you?
Far too liberal in some areas, not liberal enough in others. No decent balance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending