The Student Room Group

RAF Medical Officer

I found another thread on the same topic here but that seems to be more than 2 years old so wanted to start another.

I'm interested in joining the RAF as a Medical Officer but I don't yet have a confirmed place at university. Have applied for Medicine and BiomedSci so if not Medicine this year, BiomedSci then graduate entry. End goal is RAF for Medical Officer.

I would like to apply for the bursary so I was jw when I should do that by? Is there a link where I can look at how to apply/what the application form looks like? Would like to know what all they consider before offering me a bursary.

I would obviously join the UAS too but could I do that without a bursary/cadetship? As for the UAS, are there any fitness tests to get into one or are you automatically 'in' if you have a bursary?

It would be fantastic if there was anyone on this thread who has been through the same process I would like to go through and is now in the RAF/about to join the RAF at the end of their 5/6-year degree, so please PM me or tell me any usernames :biggrin:
Nautic - call your recruitment office.

It is obviously great you are on the ball now - I work in Foundation medicine so I know most doctors are - but they will have the best idea. Plus you'll have a good 3 years to prep for it really.

As for fitness as far as this amateur (training for RAF) is aware we all must do fitness standards
Reply 2
Original post by BarrattsMini
Nautic - call your recruitment office.

It is obviously great you are on the ball now - I work in Foundation medicine so I know most doctors are - but they will have the best idea. Plus you'll have a good 3 years to prep for it really.

As for fitness as far as this amateur (training for RAF) is aware we all must do fitness standards

Hang on, so are you FY1?
No I'm not a trainee I work for Health Education England and deal with the rotations of FY1 and FY2 along with General Surgery based work.
Reply 4
Original post by BarrattsMini
No I'm not a trainee I work for Health Education England and deal with the rotations of FY1 and FY2 along with General Surgery based work.

So what are you training for in RAF? And most doctors are what sorry?
Sorry - I was rushing the response so it didn't make much sense.

I just meant that most doctors are usually on the ball.

I am looking toward Intelligence Officer. I am awaiting the return of a Criminal Record Check back from Australia (no crimes committed just need evidence of it) and it is taking forever. Once received I will lodge my application.

Right now though with work as it is I am probably best off waiting until the end of April after the first rotation of FY1's kick starts as it will quieten down somewhat. Which is fine by me, plenty of time to train and revise.

Quick Reply

Latest