The Student Room Group

Mechatronics (Engineering), need help with some questions?

6.) Why is it necessary to have an initialisation stage for the combination lock?

7.)Why is this experimental setup now classed as an embedded mechatronic system? Give three examples of other mechatronic products that contain microcontrollers what are the advantages of using embedded control in these devices?

Original post by superjoe65
6.) Why is it necessary to have an initialisation stage for the combination lock?

Any electronic system may power-up in an unknown state. If software controlled, the processing elements must both know where to find the executable code stored in memory and also the initial state of the system. Therefore a system initialisation must be performed to establish stability and reset the system into a known repeatable and dependable state.

7.)Why is this experimental setup now classed as an embedded mechatronic system? Give three examples of other mechatronic products that contain microcontrollers what are the advantages of using embedded control in these devices?

Embedded systems mean the computer control is dedicated to that function alone. i.e. in this case, an electro-mechanical combination lock and cannot be reassigned to something else without removing it from that device and redesigning it to do something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_system
Reply 2
Thanks a lot man! You've explained it so much more easily than my teachers! By any chance do you know 'why is delay necessary between each output (4-bit) sequence? And what would happen if the motor stepped too quickly?
Thanks a lot man! You've explained it so much more easily than my teachers! By any chance do you know 'why is delay necessary between each output (4-bit) sequence? And what would happen if the motor stepped too quickly?
No problem. :smile:

I'm assuming you mean a 4-bit control word from the microcontroller used to produce the phase current for the motor drive?

The delay is necessary to

a) allow the motor to rotate the tumblers to the commanded position. The digital words change state virtually instantaneously as far as the motor drive is concerned. Since the electro-mechanical parts connected to the motor all have mass and inertia, it takes a finite amount of time for the system to settle to it's new commanded position. Hence the delay allows the systems to settle before it is ready to accept a new commanded position.

b) control the stepping speed of the whole mechanism. Adding a delay, deliberately slows down the stepping action.

If the stepping happens too quickly, the electro-mechanical components cannot respond fast enough or can also overshoot their intended position again because of too much momentum. The system will lose it's known state at any given time and therefore cease to work correctly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks again! Yeah that's similar to what I put about if the motor was stepped too quickly, it wouldn't connect with the teeth and wouldn't stay in step, due to ceasing! I wasn't sure of what errors are present in the lock? I've put about the gears needing to be in the same step pattern otherwise it wouldn't function properly and friction could have a effect as wel. I was just wondering whether you had any suggestions :smile:
Original post by uberteknik
No problem. :smile:

I'm assuming you mean a 4-bit control word from the microcontroller used to produce the phase current for the motor drive?

The delay is necessary to

a) allow the motor to rotate the tumblers to the commanded position. The digital words change state virtually instantaneously as far as the motor drive is concerned. Since the electro-mechanical parts connected to the motor all have mass and inertia, it takes a finite amount of time for the system to settle to it's new commanded position. Hence the delay allows the systems to settle before it is ready to accept a new commanded position.

b) control the stepping speed of the whole mechanism. Adding a delay, deliberately slows down the stepping action.

If the stepping happens too quickly, the electro-mechanical components cannot respond fast enough or can also overshoot their intended position again because of too much momentum. The system will lose it's known state at any given time and therefore cease to work correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending