The Student Room Group

Ncs 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've worked as a team leader for the past two years with NCS. It's seriously the best thing you could do all summer. Every single time my groups started off as shy and awkward and by the end of day two they're stuck to each other like glue. By the end of the residentials they're not sure how to live without the others around and by the end of the project they're in tears clinging onto each other and myself because they don't want it to end.

It'll boost your confidence and you'll do things you could never even imagine doing with a bunch of people you would never think to work with.

Could you please tell me about the types of activities you do in Part 1. Thanks :smile:
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Could you please tell me about the types of activities you do in Part 1. Thanks :smile:

In part 1, there's a lot of physical and teamworking activities. So for my groups we tended to have things like wallclimbing, rocket making, caving, ropeswings, high ropes and low ropes, giant zipwire, jacob's ladder, orienteering, a couple of trust activities and thing like that. One year we did kayaking and raft building.

You can sit out of whatever you don't want to do but it's best to just go for it.
Reply 22
Original post by lehnsheur
Hi, what dates are you going this year?? I start on August 3rd :smile:

Im doing 3rd August - 21st August this year aswell :smile: you live in Birmingham right?
I signed up to the start date 26th July
Ahh I'm starting the 3rd August but I'm really nervous about it because meeting new people is not a skill of mine.
Reply 25
Original post by criminaldinosaur
Ahh I'm starting the 3rd August but I'm really nervous about it because meeting new people is not a skill of mine.

Im starting the 3rd aswell :smile: you from Birmingham?
No I'm Gloucestershire area, hope you have a good time though :wink:
As an NCS graduate its not something I would recommend...

Of course like anyone else, I made a few friends with people in my group (Who I still contact with now and then) and actually really like one of the other group leaders and made friends with people outside of my group!

In the first week we were kinda forced into doing activites that we didn't want to do. Then, when we were promised laser tag we never got round to actually doing it. Some of the poeple in the group I didn't really get along well with much either, and our group leaders were kinda trying to force a smile at our faces some times.

In the second week we never really stayed in any proper accomodation. We had to bring tents with us and actually pitch outside, when it was raining at night and nearly had to throw away half my stuff after the second week (Because it got all soggy, dirty and ruined) added to which my cohort leader never really was fun at all.

Also, it was a time when some of the members of my group kind of started to exlude me from some of the decisions when it came to planning our group project :frown: I got told to shut up sometimes so I never really had much input. either :cry: . Plus, after dinner the group leaders got us out into the field (of the activity centre in which we were camping at) and got us to do activites the involved excercise, and all of us had to be involved, which i didn't like too much because im a bit overweight haha :colondollar:

Third week rolls round, we actually continue with our action plan. It was decided that we would be helping out a lymphoma support group (Which I had every interest in helping) by raiding money for them through a cake sale and a fun run.

Again, it was a bad experience for me. When we had a meeting to duscuss and plan the project, me and one of my mates started to giggle at each other about a joke i told her earlier. Of course, the group leader doesn't like it, saying he cannot "Have me grinning", to which I asked him if it distracted anyone. He saw it as backchat and threatened to kick me out of the group :mad:. It got me down the rest of the day.

AT the end we did do the fun run and the cake sale, raised around £200 so that was a plus! But after that I didnt really make contact with anyone in my group other than a few girls haha :tongue:

Firstly, they say its a really good thing to put on your CV. It's not. I've applied to so many job with NCS on my CV and none of them really cared that much to be honest. Just a quick glance over, and no questions asked. Safe to say, I never heard back from those employers nor did they actually care about the fact that I was an 'NCS graduate'

TL;DR: NCS is so much more overhyped than it actually is. Would not recommend
Reply 28
Original post by Killerpenguin15
As an NCS graduate its not something I would recommend...

Of course like anyone else, I made a few friends with people in my group (Who I still contact with now and then) and actually really like one of the other group leaders and made friends with people outside of my group!

In the first week we were kinda forced into doing activites that we didn't want to do. Then, when we were promised laser tag we never got round to actually doing it. Some of the poeple in the group I didn't really get along well with much either, and our group leaders were kinda trying to force a smile at our faces some times.

In the second week we never really stayed in any proper accomodation. We had to bring tents with us and actually pitch outside, when it was raining at night and nearly had to throw away half my stuff after the second week (Because it got all soggy, dirty and ruined) added to which my cohort leader never really was fun at all.

Also, it was a time when some of the members of my group kind of started to exlude me from some of the decisions when it came to planning our group project :frown: I got told to shut up sometimes so I never really had much input. either :cry: . Plus, after dinner the group leaders got us out into the field (of the activity centre in which we were camping at) and got us to do activites the involved excercise, and all of us had to be involved, which i didn't like too much because im a bit overweight haha :colondollar:

Third week rolls round, we actually continue with our action plan. It was decided that we would be helping out a lymphoma support group (Which I had every interest in helping) by raiding money for them through a cake sale and a fun run.

Again, it was a bad experience for me. When we had a meeting to duscuss and plan the project, me and one of my mates started to giggle at each other about a joke i told her earlier. Of course, the group leader doesn't like it, saying he cannot "Have me grinning", to which I asked him if it distracted anyone. He saw it as backchat and threatened to kick me out of the group :mad:. It got me down the rest of the day.

AT the end we did do the fun run and the cake sale, raised around £200 so that was a plus! But after that I didnt really make contact with anyone in my group other than a few girls haha :tongue:

Firstly, they say its a really good thing to put on your CV. It's not. I've applied to so many job with NCS on my CV and none of them really cared that much to be honest. Just a quick glance over, and no questions asked. Safe to say, I never heard back from those employers nor did they actually care about the fact that I was an 'NCS graduate'

TL;DR: NCS is so much more overhyped than it actually is. Would not recommend

Quick question. What area do you live in?
Original post by Kvllum
Quick question. What area do you live in?

I live in Essex, so Essex Boys and Girls Clubs organised the whole thing on behalf of NCS for out area and some parts of london that are around Essex.
Reply 30
Original post by Killerpenguin15
I live in Essex, so Essex Boys and Girls Clubs organised the whole thing on behalf of NCS for out area and some parts of london that are around Essex.

Oh okay :colondollar:

Thats Essex though, I live in Birmingham. Your experience may not necessarily mean that it will be like that for everyone. So I'm still going to go for it :smile:

Also, about the employers thing. They don't look specifically at "NCS" and think "Oh this guy is amazing lets employ him." They look at what you've done collectively, having the DofE, NCS, Volunteering awards etc makes you look like a good candidate but they expect other things as well. They look for you to have done those things and even more...NCS on its own won't be the deciding factor on any CV
Original post by Kvllum
Oh okay :colondollar:

Thats Essex though, I live in Birmingham. Your experience may not necessarily mean that it will be like that for everyone. So I'm still going to go for it :smile:

Also, about the employers thing. They don't look specifically at "NCS" and think "Oh this guy is amazing lets employ him." They look at what you've done collectively, having the DofE, NCS, Volunteering awards etc makes you look like a good candidate but they expect other things as well. They look for you to have done those things and even more...NCS on its own won't be the deciding factor on any CV

Yeah! I would say go for it too as you live in a completely different area to me :smile:

I meant as in if you live in essex and want to do NCS I wouldnt do it. EBGC seem like they are just hungry for your money and dont really bother much otherwise haha :colondollar:.

Also, regarding CV and all that - NCS do make it seem as if it is the best thing to have on your CV, and that employers do look at that kind of thing very highly above anything else. Clearly not.

Again, the situation is different for you, so dont let me put you off. This is just from personal experience :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Hi:smile: I've signed up for NCS this year - I think I'm in the second session one (I think it ends 3rd August, or something like that!) I am so nervous as none of my friends are going or anyone from my school! What type of fundraisers did people do in previous years?
is anyone going on the 3rd August who lives in London?! :smile:
Reply 34
Anyone from London doing the 22 June - 09 July program? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I've worked as a team leader for the past two years with NCS. It's seriously the best thing you could do all summer. Every single time my groups started off as shy and awkward and by the end of day two they're stuck to each other like glue. By the end of the residentials they're not sure how to live without the others around and by the end of the project they're in tears clinging onto each other and myself because they don't want it to end.

It'll boost your confidence and you'll do things you could never even imagine doing with a bunch of people you would never think to work with.

What do you do in the second week? What is included in each skill? I especially want to know what happens for sport?
Thanks
Original post by ialek5
What do you do in the second week? What is included in each skill? I especially want to know what happens for sport?
Thanks

Completely dependant on your provider.

Our goes:

Week 0: Based at provider's location - ours was the YMCA (some places don't offer this week, it's our pre-residential phase)

teambuilding

questions answered

paperwork all completed for any bonus qualifications (done through our local college)

couple of activities - wall climbing, football, free running etc but all completely optional

Week 1: Based at an activities centre

More teambuilding activities - much more structured so each afternoon was a different session. We did caving, boating, high ropes, low ropes, orienteering etc.

Lots of casual activities in the evening - football, films etc.

Week 2: Based at a residential centre - anywhere with accommodation really but our most recent one was at a agricultural college

meetings with community groups about final phase project

planning final phase project

more activities - usually based on where you are so ours were little taster sessions based around the college courses. we had flower arranging, animal care, jcb driving and other farm things like that

we do a couple of competitions during this week too with NCS Got Talent being our highlight of the week

Week 3 onwards: Back to provider's location (or local place with rooms to work - we hire our a local college's classrooms)

Planning and completing project

I'm going to the second session in birmingham ( 27th july - 3rd august ) , although i am very scared as i quite socially awkward which is annoying
Original post by Set-me-free
I'm going to the second session in birmingham ( 27th july - 3rd august ) , although i am very scared as i quite socially awkward which is annoying

I think about 3/4 of my group were socially awkward so don't worry. It took me a day to get them all talking and then 6 weeks to try and make them stop. Don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fabbysarah
is anyone going on the 3rd August who lives in London?! :smile:

yeah I'm going and I'm confirmed! Is it based on the borough u live in or just the general area cause I'm near Kingston..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending