The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
well based on last year's thread (it could be different for us) i gathered:

- each paper and the interview is given a score out of 150 (it is a scaled mark not a raw mark)

- you needed 380/600 (i think??) to get an interview

- the overall cut off mark was 469/750 (inc. interview score) for an offer. this will probably be different for us as it would be made so that a certain number of people get in so the 250th person may not have a score of 469.

- also there's priority for people on fsm and some other things

Original post by samispector
Does anyone know what the 'threshold mark' is for the entrance exams? Read through the admission policy and it turns out that exceeding this mark gets you an interview and ultimately an offer, judging on your performance at interview.

I wish the predicted grades and entrance exam has a massive influence to the scores, my interview wasn't the best interview in the world... it went pretty bad.
Original post by Foodatastic
I wish the predicted grades and entrance exam has a massive influence to the scores, my interview wasn't the best interview in the world... it went pretty bad.

the entrance exams do seem to have a large chunk from the looks of it, also they prioritise some over others, have a look at the admission policy,

http://harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_hwsf-admissions-policy-2016.pdf
the entrance exams do seem to have a large chunk from the looks of it, also they prioritise some over others, have a look at the admission policy,

http://harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_0_hwsf-admissions-policy-2016.pdf

"The marks for these will be combined with the exam marks with the weighting1 (interview marks):4 (test marks) to get an overall score."

So test marks have quite some weight then, i hope thats a good thing...
"The marks for these will be combined with the exam marks with the weighting1 (interview marks):4 (test marks) to get an overall score."

So test marks have quite some weight then, i hope thats a good thing...

i wonder if they will take into consideration that some people took subjects they've never studied before? like i took an exam in economics which ive never studied (i failed hard) while some people would have take gcse business studies or economics giving them an advantage.

funny i've been avoiding this thread since my interview since i felt so bad about it i just wanted to ignore it :/
(edited 9 years ago)
i wonder if they will take into consideration that some people took subjects they've never studied before? like i took an exam in economics which ive never studied (i failed hard) while some people would have take gcse business studies or economics giving them an advantage.

funny i've been avoiding this thread since my interview since i felt so bad about it i just wanted to ignore it :/

i did GCSE Economics, believe me, there wasn't an advantage apart from minor understanding advantages. None of my actual Economics knowledge was put into application.

i also took an economics test, that paper had me lost, we couldn't prepare for that like we could for other tests we currently take at GCSE. Maybe they'll 'scale' the test differently giving us the upper hand, they obviously couldn't expect us to ace it.
so unless you have done REALLY badly and just got through exam stage, should get offered a place:colondollar:
Original post by robertson12
so unless you have done REALLY badly and just got through exam stage, should get offered a place:colondollar:

what I meant to say unless we have done really badly in our interview we should get offered a place.It doesn't look as though we will have to score too high in our interview to pass. does anyone know how many got through to the interview stage?
Original post by robertson12
what I meant to say unless we have done really badly in our interview we should get offered a place.It doesn't look as though we will have to score too high in our interview to pass. does anyone know how many got through to the interview stage?

400 people
people, i've literally just been invited for interview. Any advice?!
Reply 410
people, i've literally just been invited for interview. Any advice?!

I have been invited for an interview next Friday too :smile: My other friends who applied and had interviews said you need to pick a topic for your subject that you are interested in and do A LOT of reading about it. Then you will present your ideas to the interviewer who may argue with your points/ask you questions about it. Then they apparently teach you an A-Level concept and see how you respond to the challenge- you don't necessarily have to get the right answer, but just show a logical thinking pattern. Good luck :tongue:
Original post by yasi98
I have been invited for an interview next Friday too :smile: My other friends who applied and had interviews said you need to pick a topic for your subject that you are interested in and do A LOT of reading about it. Then you will present your ideas to the interviewer who may argue with your points/ask you questions about it. Then they apparently teach you an A-Level concept and see how you respond to the challenge- you don't necessarily have to get the right answer, but just show a logical thinking pattern. Good luck :tongue:

this isn't how my interview went at all 👀👀
Reply 412
this isn't how my interview went at all

oh, well the girl I spoke to was doing Politics so maybe that's why? How did your interview go?
To be honest I heard quite a few people who got an interview and didn't go
Original post by aqsahawan
To be honest I heard quite a few people who got an interview and didn't go

Better for those who attend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did ANYONE pick English Lit as their chosen interview subject..??
Original post by themonalisa
Did ANYONE pick English Lit as their chosen interview subject..??

eh... not anyone I know of.
Had my interview today, went relatively well! Will late applicants still receive offers at the same time as normal applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my interview today, went relatively well! Will late applicants still receive offers at the same time as normal applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, good luck! I think normal applicant students will get the offers on Saturday or 13th (Friday), I dont know about late applicants.
Nice, good luck! I think normal applicant students will get the offers on Saturday or 13th (Friday), I dont know about late applicants.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending