The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eei
I can't really comment much. Nobody from our foundation. Heard from the tutors.

How are you accessing this information if they are Slade tutors? Do they integrate into teaching at UAL or something?
The only other way I feel that they may have selected people is by separating them into the specific parts of their course. So they have picked perhaps one group and gave out the interview, but not for others...

total clutch at straws but just an idea
Reply 602
Might be the same Megan mentioned. You know, tutors and lecturers are in the same game and obviously know each other, so there are always leaks. Only rest assured that the whole selection process is a tough one and knowing someone won't change the outcome. Schools want the best students and it's always a team which makes the decision based on many factors (some might be very subjective, so the interview might help get them on your side).
Original post by Artfanatic
The only other way I feel that they may have selected people is by separating them into the specific parts of their course. So they have picked perhaps one group and gave out the interview, but not for others...

total clutch at straws but just an idea

very true, she did say the first guy was very sculptural. So maybe it was the sculpture side.

Who knowwwwwwwwwwwwws. so confused. It better be tomorrow. Or I'm making art in protest.
Original post by eei
Might be the same Megan mentioned. You know, tutors and lecturers are in the same game and obviously know each other, so there are always leaks. Only rest assured that the whole selection process is a tough one and knowing someone won't change the outcome. Schools want the best students and it's always a team which makes the decision based on many factors (some might be very subjective, so the interview might help get them on your side).

I meant more did they say "two people haven't gotten interviews" or
"interviews have been given out"
because one is more specific.
I'm still not convinced. I don't believe there is any 'maybe' pile. I did a foundation at CSM a couple years back and they always said the amount of portfolios these art schools receive there spend a maximum of five minutes looking at them and know within a couple pages if the work is interesting eneogh to interview. I don't believe it's an agonising process for them to pick for interviews.
Original post by ellery child
I'm still not convinced. I don't believe there is any 'maybe' pile. I did a foundation at CSM a couple years back and they always said the amount of portfolios these art schools receive there spend a maximum of five minutes looking at them and know within a couple pages if the work is interesting eneogh to interview. I don't believe it's an agonising process for them to pick for interviews.

probably not. We're just hoping hahaa.
I mean maybe the final 10 interviews they give out they may debate a bit. But probably not for a week.
Reply 607
Original post by Notwinter
I meant more did they say "two people haven't gotten interviews" or
"interviews have been given out"
because one is more specific.

Word for word? Something like "SOME people got their interviews already". And then mentioned those two. Hope it will put your mind at rest, because it's still an open statement. I won't say who said that and where, because "reasons" :smile: you have to believe my word. Or not.
Original post by eei
Word for word? Something like "SOME people got their interviews already". And then mentioned those two. Hope it will put your mind at rest, because it's still an open statement. I won't say who said that and where, because "reasons" :smile: you have to believe my word. Or not.

The thing is we don't know what foundation the two previously spoken about go to. So it may or may not the same people you may know of.
but "some" isn't "all".. so that gives us like 10% more hope haha.
"some" sounds like this persons knows of others who will receive interviews but haven't received them yet.
Reply 609
Yes, hence I wouldn't want to make any assumptions. Some means some, not all. But you know, it could be said to soften the blow. Just like the letters from Chelsea. So we stop speculating and get on with our FMPs
Original post by eei
Yes, hence I wouldn't want to make any assumptions. Some means some, not all. But you know, it could be said to soften the blow. Just like the letters from Chelsea. So we stop speculating and get on with our FMPs

However with the Chelsea thing, I think they are actually considering people for other courses, well some people.
But yup. Speculation does nothing. We will just have to wait and see. Let's just hope he was literal with his words.
I'm on my two week holiday now, my school is weird and does different breaks from everywhere else :/
Original post by Notwinter
However with the Chelsea thing, I think they are actually considering people for other courses, well some people.
But yup. Speculation does nothing. We will just have to wait and see. Let's just hope he was literal with his words.
I'm on my two week holiday now, my school is weird and does different breaks from everywhere else :/

Trust me you are going to wish you were at school - the days go WAY more quicker at school then at home. The torture is coming to an end though :burnout:
Original post by Artfanatic
Trust me you are going to wish you were at school - the days go WAY more quicker at school then at home. The torture is coming to an end though :burnout:

I know... this is super sucky timing for my holiday. :/
But I plan to sleep and eat.
Original post by eei
When is your interview? I'm there on the 5th. Freaked out already.

its on the 6th :P
Reply 614
Good luck
Original post by eei
Good luck

and you!:biggrin:
The two people I know who have interviews are from my course (Oxford Brookes foundation). There were 5 of us that applied in total and 3 of them I am friends with so I know the 2 that got the interview invite and the other one like me, hasn't heard. I don't really know the other guy much so I haven't asked him. All I can say is that I saw the email from slade to my friend as I was with him when he got it and it said that they had a huge number of applicants and are interviewing less than 10% this year. It didn't give him an exact date but said it would be the week of the 9th of March. Both of my friends that got it are into mainly sculptural work - don't know if that means anything.

But yeah as someone mentioned they would have decided then and there when they looked at our portfolio whether they wanted to interview us so who knows maybe there are some admin issues.

Hopefully we'll find out soon either way :smile:
Original post by meganabcdefg
The two people I know who have interviews are from my course (Oxford Brookes foundation). There were 5 of us that applied in total and 3 of them I am friends with so I know the 2 that got the interview invite and the other one like me, hasn't heard. I don't really know the other guy much so I haven't asked him. All I can say is that I saw the email from slade to my friend as I was with him when he got it and it said that they had a huge number of applicants and are interviewing less than 10% this year. It didn't give him an exact date but said it would be the week of the 9th of March. Both of my friends that got it are into mainly sculptural work - don't know if that means anything.

But yeah as someone mentioned they would have decided then and there when they looked at our portfolio whether they wanted to interview us so who knows maybe there are some admin issues.

Hopefully we'll find out soon either way :smile:

thanks for the info! I wonder why they are interviewing so few. Would love to know how many applied. Possibly over 1500.
bet the're really pleased
Thanks Megan for that response, if 1 in 10 is the norm surely it'll be something like 1 in 15 this time round *sob*. I wrote the below and it would be a waste not to post:

I think we;ve discussed some of this earlier; the tutors spend around 10 mins on a portfolio (a 5 mins showreel was max amount so I estimate it would occupy half the time). PS and or info sheet inserted is read (aloud possibly) while people look through. A decision is made and the info (points/yes&no whatever) is recorded, move on to next portfolio.... After all portfolios have been assessed I presume data is accumulated in spreadsheet and ranked/adjusted accordingly. By now they will, as other years have shown, already have the data ready and interviews/rejections to send out. I think it all comes down to timing now, when and how they want to release their results. I reckon some tutors might have got in touch with foundation tutors and discussed best time/format etc. or they want to make the send out random and baffle us (what they do best).

There are two options, send the rejections Friday so that students have the weekend to let it all out. Or send it out wednesday so that students will have a night to dwell and then have college in the morning to hide it away again, a weekend of misery spared. ( i remember this from my oxford application and actually being quietly thankful that they notified me of my rejection on a Monday morning rather than a Friday evening) On the basis of their tortuous prolongation tactic I think the Slade really love the first option.

If this doesn't sound annoying (forgive me if it does) could you perhaps encourage your successful Slade friends to have a look at this thread and perhaps join TSR? (f!)(for the sake of future applicants?...)
(edited 9 years ago)
I only put in an image list because my tutor told me not to put in info, they will ask me info in the interview... I also made the trailer for Bacchae which was shown at the bloomsbury theatre in feb and shoved that second in my showreel but part of me thinks they didnt even watch it XDDDDDDD hahaha ive pretty much accepted i havent got in, which is kinda sad considering its been a dream since i was about 11 :'( sad times. There is no next year either, im already 20 :L

....*sob*

Quick Reply

Latest