The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Lol stop, you were ****e

Was I denying that? We were awful, and they were great, it's not a mutually exclusive concept.

Original post by shawn_o1
At this rate everyone knows how to figure out Arsenal. Dulwich Hamlet are even seeking that opportunity to knock them out in the FA Cup :colone:

Everyone already knew. Play defensively, frustrate us, be physical, hit on counter. Simple.

Original post by So Instinct
Their tactics weren't exactly a surprise though, everyone and their dog knew what they would try and do so it shouldn't have been allowed to be "the perfect game". Side note, as much as I love Henry as a personality his analysis leaves more to be desired. Over hyped by Sky.

Not a surprise, but they executed it well (as they always do). We could have come away with a draw if things went in our favour, but they didn't. So we lost. It's football, it happens. Henry is a nice guy and probably the most intelligent pundit, but he often finds it hard to express his thoughts well.
Original post by AR_95
We don't need an RB we've 4 :s-smilie:

CB, 2 CM/DM's and a striker. Possibly another midfielder too with Cazorla over the hill soon

Don't forget the most important part, a new manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Could you not put out stats like that in public :colonhash:

It has to be shown we have been smashed 6 seasons in a row in the CL can't even get past the QF and people think our club is not a failure. Mourinho was 100% right about Wenger how can this not be failure?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peggles_*
Don't forget the most important part, a new manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point I should have made was Wenger has left it too much of a job for the new manager.
Original post by Rk2k14
We got him for free, so if he plays bad then its not like we lose money but the opposite if he recovers some of his previous form.

I don't deny any of that. He's still being overrated at this point though imo.
Serious question;

Do we have any genuine wingers? Because tonight, it felt like we had none.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia

They planned to sit back, absorb pressure, and hit us on the counter. It worked perfectly. No team in the world can go to the Emirates and expect to have no efforts against them, so Monaco were relying on us messing up, and we did. We then ran about like headless chickens, took off our defensively minded midfielder, and pushed our defenders up, which helped them even more.

Hide away? Don't try to be arrogant, most fans expected us to walk all over Monaco, because most fans are clueless and think "French and not PSG? Must be easy." They are a good team, who stuck to a strategy, and came away victors.

so their game plan relyed on us missing clear chances? - and thats your arguement for them playing well???

lol. honestly, I am not suprised - not the first time youve tried to be the hyper respectfull nice-guy fan who always gives respect and credit to the other team..

Reminds me of that kid in school who would loose a game to the bigger kids and then kiss their ass afterwards saying 'oh you guys played great, really, what a game.. never seen anything like that.. I really did not stand a chance did I? oh my god, you lot were good....... please like me.'

Monaco looked good tonight because they were playing a team who were performing utterly terrible.

That does not mean they played well though - just that their average play, was significantly better then arsenals awful play.

for the small moments when we played anywhere close to our potential, we carved through them, and created chances that under any decent form would have finished.

I am fully ok with admiting when we get destroyed by a team playing well.. but equally I am not prepared to praise a team when they beat us by playing averagly, and us playing terribly.. because that second scenario is far worse for the club, and sometihng we should acknowledge, and really try and improve upon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peggles_*
Serious question;

Do we have any genuine wingers? Because tonight, it felt like we had none.

Posted from TSR Mobile

loved it when wenger put on walcott, and our front line up was 3 wide players who all want to play centrally..
Original post by So Instinct
I don't deny any of that. He's still being overrated at this point though imo.

Can see where you're coming from. His history is pretty amazing, so despite him not playing any games, he has been rated highly due to that.
Lets hope he comes good. Could teach De Gea some valuable things before he's off to Madrid.
We need to make a team of Alexis Sanchez's work ethic, I felt so sorry for him today...

Walcott, Arteta, Flamini need to go!

Giroud should be benched, We should go get whatever striker who can score 30 goals a season + a dynamic DM I think Kondogbia would be perfect to give coquelin competition.
Original post by fallen_acorns
so their game plan relyed on us missing clear chances? - and thats your arguement for them playing well???

lol. honestly, I am not suprised - not the first time youve tried to be the hyper respectfull nice-guy fan who always gives respect and credit to the other team..

Reminds me of that kid in school who would loose a game to the bigger kids and then kiss their ass afterwards saying 'oh you guys played great, really, what a game.. never seen anything like that.. I really did not stand a chance did I? oh my god, you lot were good....... please like me.'

Monaco looked good tonight because they were playing a team who were performing utterly terrible.

That does not mean they played well though - just that their average play, was significantly better then arsenals awful play.

for the small moments when we played anywhere close to our potential, we carved through them, and created chances that under any decent form would have finished.

I am fully ok with admiting when we get destroyed by a team playing well.. but equally I am not prepared to praise a team when they beat us by playing averagly, and us playing terribly.. because that second scenario is far worse for the club, and sometihng we should acknowledge, and really try and improve upon.

Yeah I agree with Acorns tbh although I wouldn't have put it as harshly haha. Monaco were dreadful tonight, hardly looked interested in the game and probably would have settled with 0-0. We threw the game away.
Original post by The Shed End
How could you tell?

Don't worry though guys, it's not winning the Champions League that counts, it's qualifying right?

Inb4 Luiz scores a 40 yard worldie freekick to win a scrappy 1-0 :wink:
It's these times where you appreciate the fact that your secondary school days are long behind you.

Feel it for all the little Arsenal kids and teenagers walking into school tomorrow, their all gonna get absolutely ripped. Run kid, run.
Original post by AR_95
We don't need an RB we've got 4 :s-smilie:

CB, 2 CM/DM's and a striker. Possibly another midfielder too with Cazorla over the hill soon

Are any of them good enough though? Bellerin you've answered yourself, Chambers isn't a RB, not convinced Debuchy is good enough and he's 30 soon so you'll have to replace him in a year or two anyway. Who's the 4th?

Also, had to post this awesome stat.

No team has lost a European Cup/CL first leg knockout tie at home by 2 goals and progressed to the next round since Ajax in 1969.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
x

It's just as bad at work lol. At my old job one of my bosses was an Arsenal fan, he got WUMed constantly. The best was when Chelsea beat them 6-0 and one of the new guys there, a Chelsea fan, kept updating him whenever Chelsea scored and rubbing it in. Poor guy nearly snapped :lol:

It all gets shared around though. That's what I love about football, the banter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by leinad2012
Inb4 Luiz scores a 40 yard worldie freekick to win a scrappy 1-0 :wink:

Luiz plays for the other team now :smile:
Original post by AR_95
The loss is all down to Wenger tbh and that's because of the last window.

Prior to this game were unbeaten in something like ten in twelve.

Shocking that we're using Bellerin at RB ( who is gob****e)

Debuchy's been unfortunate - that's just unlucky.

Also, none of the goals were Bellerin's fault - if you want to blame anyone, blame Mertesacker. He's the one who failed to block Kondogbia's shot, and he failed to track the run of whatshisname, which put them 2-0 up.

and shocking we didn't buy a CDM after crying out for one.

I agree. But which world class CDM could Arsene have bought? I was pretty disappointed when Kondogbia went to Monaco because I watched a few Sevilla matches and he impressed, but everyone else is off-limits/overpriced.

Also a ****ing joke we didn't buy a striker until Giroud received a 3 month injury. Our current weaknesses are all exposed by our lack of signings it's ****ing ridiculous.

Rubbish.

Giroud was unlucky tonight and got it all wrong, but we can play Welbeck, Alexis and Walcott up front if needs be.

Also, just for a laugh, which striker did you have in mind? Cavani/Benzema, by any chance?

It's not improving next year with Wenger either. We'll probably sign another CAM and 14 year old right back.

Crystal ball? Nice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Yeah I agree with Acorns tbh although I wouldn't have put it as harshly haha. Monaco were dreadful tonight, hardly looked interested in the game and probably would have settled with 0-0. We threw the game away.

just watched arsenal concede 3 to monaco. and bassically throw away our best chance in years..

Not in a polite mood :redface:
loved it when wenger put on walcott, and our front line up was 3 wide players who all want to play centrally..

Exactly.

We have a bunch of fake wingers, who all will drift inside. We need wingers who will actually hug the touchline, not vacate that space any chance they get.

Also, Gabriel in for Per on the weekend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Luiz plays for the other team now :smile:

Nah, he clearly meant Felipe Luis :tongue:

No, I'm saying their game plan relied on us pushing our players forward, and part of that would be us having attempts.

Fine, if you want to try insulting me by calling me too nice, sure, I would rather be that than an arrogant prick who thinks Arsenal should win every game, every time. I just think Monaco played well, we didn't, so they deserved the win, and I don't think it is too radical for me to acknowledge that.

How did they play averagely? Held the ball well, passed well, brilliant defending, strong tackling, high pressure on midfield and strikers. I will admit that if we were better we would have drawn, but for 95% of the game, they dominated us.

Latest