The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
Exactly.

We have a bunch of fake wingers, who all will drift inside. We need wingers who will actually hug the touchline, not vacate that space any chance they get.

Also, Gabriel in for Per on the weekend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

choice between mert or a player who cant speak any english?

Right now id take the 2nd any day of the week
Original post by sr90
I'd argue you need to sign a similar number of players to us. Arsenal need a RB, CB, DM (possibly two) & ST.

To be fair our star RB had been out all season bar like 5 games.

Completely agree with the rest, need a new 3rd CB, get rid of Mert, sign a top CDM. Striker is tough, Welbeck should never have been signed, we'd be better off cashing in on Poldi Campbell and Welbeck and sign a top striker, but we already know that if we did they'd go and get injured after 3 games and end up with an "injury crisis" with no striker
Original post by The Shed End
How could you tell?

Don't worry though guys, it's not winning the Champions League that counts, it's qualifying right?

Das right. :borat:

#onlyArsenalffs
Original post by AR_95
Luiz plays for the other team now :smile:

I know :smile:
Original post by sr90
Are any of them good enough though? Bellerin you've answered yourself, Chambers isn't a RB, not convinced Debuchy is good enough and he's 30 soon so you'll have to replace him in a year or two anyway. Who's the 4th?

Also, had to post this awesome stat.

No team has lost a European Cup/CL first leg knockout tie at home by 2 goals and progressed to the next round since Ajax in 1969.

Jenkinson. Chambers and Bellerin still have time I guess and Chambers CAN play at RB even if we want him central in the future. Jenkinson decent enough to be our back up to Debuchy (who I think is a decent player to have, nothing special but more reliable then what we're using now)
Original post by AR_95
Jenkinson. Chambers and Bellerin still have time I guess and Chambers CAN play at RB even if we want him central in the future. Jenkinson decent enough to be our back up to Debuchy (who I think is a decent player to have, nothing special but more reliable then what we're using now)

Forgot that Jenkinson was only a loan, he's been decent enough whenever i've seen him this season.

Playing young CB's at RB really doesn't work out well though, just look at us with Smalling/Jones over the past few years.
Guys seriously listen, as you can probably tell...I'm not even angry about the result tonight. In a nutshell that's what you deserve when you play **** and underestimate a team. We move on.

Only ****ing thing pissing me right off and this has been on my mind for months is that mertasacker. Getting ****ing sick of him in all honesty. Should **** right off back to the bloody world cup.

Gabriel in. FAST.
Original post by Jgco2chem
We need to make a team of Alexis Sanchez's work ethic, I felt so sorry for him today...

Walcott, Arteta, Flamini need to go!

Giroud should be benched, We should go get whatever striker who can score 30 goals a season + a dynamic DM I think Kondogbia would be perfect to give coquelin competition.

Wut? Walcott was one of our few decent players tonight, and Arteta has been solid whenever he hasn't been injured.

Agree with Flamini though, he doesn't deserve to wear the shirt anymore.

Giroud should be fined for his performance tonight, but which striker do you have in mind?
So for the 4th season in a row we need to score 3 away goals to progress. What a ****ing joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not impossible.

Chelsea lost 1-3 to Napoli and cameback in home-leg to win 4-1.
That was with a heavily ageing team with limited talent... mikel, bosingwa, kalou, malouda and a 33 year old past his prime Drogba.

But you also need experience and when your captain is as bad as Mertesacker is then there's little hope.
Came on here to have a rant, don't know how all you guys are feeling but it can't be good :tongue:
Original post by angelfox
They showed some booing, was Giroud getting jeered in the same way Eboue was all those years ago? Looked like it on TV.

When he was subbed off he did a little to be honest, but it was more in the direction of the general bad performance at the end of the game, plus alot of it was in Ozil/Wenger's direction and I found that despicable tbf as it was a collective shocking performance I mean wtf was our BFG to concede a goal like that? Anyways I hope we can pull it back.
Original post by Arkasia
No, I'm saying their game plan relied on us pushing our players forward, and part of that would be us having attempts.

Fine, if you want to try insulting me by calling me too nice, sure, I would rather be that than an arrogant prick who thinks Arsenal should win every game, every time. I just think Monaco played well, we didn't, so they deserved the win, and I don't think it is too radical for me to acknowledge that.

How did they play averagely? Held the ball well, passed well, brilliant defending, strong tackling, high pressure on midfield and strikers. I will admit that if we were better we would have drawn, but for 95% of the game, they dominated us.

Afraid it seems like it is :laugh:

Monaco completely outclassed us.
Original post by Arkasia
No, I'm saying their game plan relied on us pushing our players forward, and part of that would be us having attempts.

Fine, if you want to try insulting me by calling me too nice, sure, I would rather be that than an arrogant prick who thinks Arsenal should win every game, every time. I just think Monaco played well, we didn't, so they deserved the win, and I don't think it is too radical for me to acknowledge that.

How did they play averagely? Held the ball well, passed well, brilliant defending, strong tackling, high pressure on midfield and strikers. I will admit that if we were better we would have drawn, but for 95% of the game, they dominated us.

95% of the game they dominated = less posession, less shots, less corners etc. etc.

Only area they dominated us on was their finishing. that was the difference today - they were clinical, and finished their few chances. and we did not.

I would accept the arguement about them sitting back and soaking up pressure, and then attacking on the counter - if they had done that well.. but they simply did not do that well at all...

Look at the teams who do that well, and their performances, and you will see games where teams like chelsea absolutly nullify the opositions attack, and restrict them to pot shots and the odd chance..

But today monaco did not do that, they did not defend well enough to keep our attackers out, and the scoreline is only in their favour due to our attackers terrible performances.

If the main reason you win a game is because giroud misses two absolute sitters - then you have not deffended well, you have juts been lucky that the other team was ****e

If the main reason you score goals is because mert ****s up, and you get a deflection, then you have not attacked well.. you have juts been lucky that the other team was ****e
Original post by Stalin
Prior to this game were unbeaten in something like ten in twelve.

Debuchy's been unfortunate - that's just unlucky.

Also, none of the goals were Bellerin's fault - if you want to blame anyone, blame Mertesacker. He's the one who failed to block Kondogbia's shot, and he failed to track the run of whatshisname, which put them 2-0 up.

I agree. But which world class CDM could Arsene have bought? I was pretty disappointed when Kondogbia went to Monaco because I watched a few Sevilla matches and he impressed, but everyone else is off-limits/overpriced.

Rubbish.

Giroud was unlucky tonight and got it all wrong, but we can play Welbeck, Alexis and Walcott up front if needs be.

Also, just for a laugh, which striker did you have in mind? Cavani/Benzema, by any chance?

Crystal ball? Nice.

lol and all the teams we played were **** bar for city and tottenham. We lost the 2nd didn't we :smile:

Bellerin has been wasteful going forward. Could have done better for that second goal actually and yes Mertesacker needs to be replaced to which is why I said CB?!

Scneiderlin, Carvalho, Kondogbia, just to name 3 :confused: There are more players available eg no one even heard of Paulista until we were linked with him

Giroud was unlucky tonight yes. But he's 28 and could easily decline next season. I'm not saying we bench him, I'd rather we use a two striker system with Giroud and a better partner. We played Welbeck Alexis Walcott today and it had no effect. We need a striker.

No I don't have Cavani/Benzema in mind but Giroud/Cavani or Giroud/Benzema would be a much better strikeforce then Giroud/Welbeck and you can't argue with that. Jackson Martinez was a decent shout, Wilfred Bony, Mandzukic, LOIC REMY even would have been a much better shout than Welbeck.

There's no crystal ball. Past 10 years should tell you enough. Stop apologising for the same **** performance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Adam171014
It's not impossible.

Chelsea lost 1-3 to Napoli and cameback in home-leg to win 4-1.
That was with a heavily ageing team with limited talent... mikel, bosingwa, kalou, malouda and a 33 year old past his prime Drogba.

But you also need experience and when your captain is as bad as Mertesacker is then there's little hope.

Monaco don't concede goals.

We are out. Again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel for Sanchez though the most he probabily had high hopes for us in the UCL when he joined. Seriously hope he doesn't do a Cesc on us though.
So for the 4th season in a row we need to score 3 away goals to progress. What a ****ing joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you know the funniest thing? I had that sly hope that we'd do an Anderlecht :rofl:

Original post by So Instinct
Feels like Valdes is being overrated at this point, he may have history but nobody even knows if he's worth a dime atm. Personally I get the feeling he isn't.

Would still take him any day over the two specimen's of fat we have.

Original post by al_94
It has to be shown we have been smashed 6 seasons in a row in the CL can't even get past the QF and people think our club is not a failure. Mourinho was 100% right about Wenger how can this not be failure?

I don't blame Wenger for today in particular, the players were just almightely crap.
Awkward when you realise Mourinho was spot on though, in general. People should stop with the wengs in and out business. He goes when he goes, i'm tired.
Monaco don't concede goals.

We are out. Again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They also don't score goals, they scored their first ever 1st half CL goal for 10 years! The fact they could score 3 perfectly highlights Mertesackers performance tonight
got my popcorn, time to review the last 10 pages.
this is gonna be goooooood :cool:
Original post by Arkasia
Was I denying that? We were awful, and they were great, it's not a mutually exclusive concept.

You let them be great. If you took your chances before they scored, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And of course, when they took the lead, you stupidly overcommitted. Was still over two hours left in the tie when they scored, no reason to get so desperate when attacking.

Latest