The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Forgot that Jenkinson was only a loan, he's been decent enough whenever i've seen him this season.

Playing young CB's at RB really doesn't work out well though, just look at us with Smalling/Jones over the past few years.

Debuchy Jenkinson is a solid pairing to have for RB. Send Bellerin on loan and Chambers is still there just in case.

Also I've said that we were missing an Arteta type of player for a while now but even Arteta wouldn't have saved todays game
Original post by Arkasia
Monaco of last year would have pummeled us. Monaco of this year will just bore us to death.

Original post by ETRC

I reckon we should try and completely hammer Monaco at home. Their last 8 games were 1-0 or 0-0 lol

Original post by Zürich
We'll do LFC 3-0 at the Emirates tbh

Everton might be a bit dodgy because we have Monaco midweek and we've had CL k/o hangovers before but we should be fine, no excuse not to pump them tbh. And given that they took 5 from us last season, I'd like to sent back to their scouse slums with **** all

Couldn't quote these for some reason
Lyrical Prodigy - Monaco! ****ING YESSSS
Zurich -
Will have a full on meltdown when Monaco are 3-0 up after 20m in the first leg and we go out 4-3 on aggregate

Original post by Stefano93
I feel for Sanchez though the most he probabily had high hopes for us in the UCL when he joined. Seriously hope he doesn't do a Cesc on us though.

Probably not considering he's already come from Barca...
Original post by somemightsay888
Afraid it seems like it is :laugh:

Monaco completely outclassed us.

Nothing I can do about that, and yes they did.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You let them be great. If you took your chances before they scored, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And of course, when they took the lead, you stupidly overcommitted. Was still over two hours left in the tie when they scored, no reason to get so desperate when attacking.

This isn't the first time we've played poorly this season. Previously we've done sh**e in some PL games at home (e.g Palace and Hull) where we didn't deserve to win but we've got out of jail. However, this is the first time we've played like that in a big game and fair play to Monaco, they took their chances and caught us out. Had we been caught out earlier by those smaller teams, there'd be a lot more pressure on Wenger right now
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You let them be great. If you took your chances before they scored, then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And of course, when they took the lead, you stupidly overcommitted. Was still over two hours left in the tie when they scored, no reason to get so desperate when attacking.

I agree, we didn't help ourselves, but to claim that they were utterly average is doing a disservice to them. We may have let them play great, but they took that with both hands. We were poor against Palace but we beat them, because they didn't take advantage of us.
Giroud reverted to the absolute donkey from 12/13. Something like 6 attempts from him, and not a single one on target.

Posted from TSR Mobile
monaco boss pre-game speach according to ARK:

Boss:

"Lads.. ok.. here is the plan - we are going to sit deep, and let them have chances.. if all goes to plan we will catch a lucky deflection for a first goal.."

Player:

"Boss, what about how we defend?"

Boss:

"Ok, what I want you guys to do is give giroud atleast 2 chances where he only has the keeper to beat.. maybe give a few decent opertunities to walcott and welbeck as well.. just for good measure. You do that, and you will have played a great game"

Player:

"So let me get this right boss.. your saying that for us to play well, we need to give decent chances to the oposition, and hope that they dont score?"

Boss:

"yes, thats the plan.. pure genius I know.. no need to thank me, now go out there, work your ass off, and hope that mert has a ****ing brain fart so that we can get a second"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Shed End
Couldn't quote these for some reason
Lyrical Prodigy - Monaco! ****ING YESSSS
Zurich -
Will have a full on meltdown when Monaco are 3-0 up after 20m in the first leg and we go out 4-3 on aggregate

I hold my hands up, I thought we would be better, and they would be worse.
http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/health/psychology/gary-neville-become-a-master-of-mentality

Oh look who's talking, it must be wenger's fault that he hasn't won anything since 2005 (bar 1)
Original post by fallen_acorns
x

You are so bloody bitter. We lost, they won, get over it. Seriously, you would think I personally came over to your house and murdered your family, dancing over their bodies singing "MONACO ARE AWESOME".
Original post by Peggles_*
Giroud reverted to the absolute donkey from 12/13. Something like 6 attempts from him, and not a single one on target.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Worst thing is, he's been in such good form last few games... That's what makes this so baffling
Did I just see someone suggest we sign Kondogbia :biggrin: Jesus ****ing Christ that sums English football fans up in a nutshell, see one guy play one good game against your team and suddenly he's the best CDM in the world, not saying the guy wasn't good, but I'd be surprised if more than 10% of your average English football faans would have heard of him before tonight.

Also, just one last dig at Neville, did anyone else hear him constantly saying how perfect the game was at the end for Berbatov, because he's a lazy player who'll create something with a flash of brilliance, interesting how he doesn't feel that way about Ozil isn't it... Feel sorry for Henry that he'll have to share a office with that **** and Jamie Rednapp every game
Original post by AR_95
lol and all the teams we played were **** bar for city and tottenham. We lost the 2nd didn't we :smile:

And that's Wenger's fault? Or the fact our team didn't do **** after going 1-0 up?

Bellerin has been wasteful going forward. Could have done better for that second goal actually and yes Mertesacker needs to be replaced to which is why I said CB?!

Bellerin was OK imo. Mertesacker was a shower of ****e, and nah you didn't mention him in your post.

Hopefully Gabriel comes good and can partner Koscielny? Two quick CBs is essential in today's game. Mertesacker may have the height, but his tortoise-esque speed is ridiculous. He should be on a basketball court.

Scneiderlin, Carvalho, Kondogbia, just to name 3 :confused: There are more players available eg no one even heard of Paulista until we were linked with him

I agree with Schneiderlin and Kondogbia, and I'm the first to say that we need to buy a CDM before any other position.

Carvalho seems like a load of hype, though.

Giroud was unlucky tonight yes. But he's 28 and could easily decline next season. I'm not saying we bench him, I'd rather we use a two striker system with Giroud and a better partner. We played Welbeck Alexis Walcott today and it had no effect. We need a striker.

They all had an effect imo, we were just unlucky in front of goal.

Seriously, we must have set a record for number of balls in and around their six yard box without a goal (until Ox's screamer).

The problem with two up top is Ozil, who Arsene is building the team around. I'm all for playing Giroud and Welbz up top with Alexis and Theo on the wings, but we'd get steamrolled in midfield.

No I don't have Cavani/Benzema in mind but Giroud/Cavani or Giroud/Benzema would be a much better strikeforce then Giroud/Welbeck and you can't argue with that. Jackson Martinez was a decent shout, Wilfred Bony, Mandzukic, LOIC REMY even would have been a much better shout than Welbeck.

Of course Benzema/Giroud would be a much better strike-force than Giroud/Welbz, but why on Earth would Benzema leave Real Madrid? And whilst we're at fairytales, why would Cavani leave PSG when Ibra's done in 1.5 years?

Martinez was/is £30m+.

Bony was always CIty bound.

Mandzukic isn't a massive upgrade on Giroud.

Remy I agree with - we should have signed him for £7m. Great speed and can play on the wing.

There's no crystal ball. Past 10 years should tell you enough. Stop apologising for the same **** performance.

Brand new stadium. Debt under control.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about if you're rating Wenger's managerial ability on his last ten years at the club.

There's a reason Real, Bayern, PSG and the French national team bent over backwards/are still ready to bend over backwards for him (with the exception of Bayern now who have Pep).
Original post by leinad2012
Watch us go crazy now and let in a third putting us in a worse position than before the goal

Why do I always have to be correct about everything, gets pretty frustrating tbh :rolleyes:
Alexis bottled another big game, no hate on him though?

Ozil was better than Alexis tonight.
Original post by angelfox

Are you being serious or trolling? Genuinely you can't think that...

Are you serious? Alexis was the hardest working man on the pitch. Not his fault he's got lumps of fat in shorts running around him doing **** all.

its ok though, because alexis runs around so much and puts so much effort in..

Whereas ozil just has smug face regardless of how he is playing

= english probelms with football.

(no comment on this specific game.. but juts in general)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peggles_*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please change your avatar. Can't stand that **** anymore.

Latest