The Student Room Group

Isis fighter 'Jihadi John' has been identified

'The Independent'

The British Isis militant suspected of appearing in videos showing the beheading of US and UK hostages has been named in reports as Mohammed Emwazi from London.

It comes after as The Washington Post published a lengthy article on the masked man known as Jihadi John, who spoke with a British accent.

Emwazi was known to UK security services, according to the BBC. It reports that his name was not revealed at an earlier stage for "operational reasons".

The Post claims that Emwazi is from an affluent family and graduated from university with a degree in computer programming. It says he is believed to have travelled to Syria in 2012 and later joined Isis.

An international manhunt led by the FBI was launched in August 2014 when he was thought to have appeared in video footage showing the beheading of American photojournalist James Foley.

Foley's death was followed by the brutal killing of four more UK and US aid workers and journalists, all of whom were shown in footage next to a militant believed to be Jihadi John.

He is thought to have been featured in videos threatening the lives of Japanese hostages Haruna Yukawa and Kenji Goto, who were later killed by the extremist group.

The name 'Jihadi John' came after it was reported that hostages referred to the militant as 'John' during their time captive.

One of Emwazi's was quoted by The Post as saying: “I have no doubt that Mohammed is Jihadi John."

The Home Office said it would neither confirm nor deny reports at this stage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-fighter-jihadi-john-named-as-mohammed-emwazi-from-west-london-10071805.html

So at last Jihadi John has been identified! I wonder what will happen next. Will he be found?

Scroll to see replies

Oooh this looks like some good news tbh!
Apparently he was already killed by one of Jordan's airstrikes? That's what someone told me in the office, anyway.

If he's still alive, we should kill him. ASAP.
Original post by Reluire
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-fighter-jihadi-john-named-as-mohammed-emwazi-from-west-london-10071805.html

So at last Jihadi John has been identified! I wonder what will happen next. Will he be found?

Why is he called Jihadi John. I hate the fact that such a coward of man has my name.
Reply 4
Original post by XxSophie01xX
Apparently he was already killed by one of Jordan's airstrikes? That's what someone told me in the office, anyway.

Ah I didn't realise he might have already been killed. I wonder if he's dead or not!

Original post by Dodgypirate
Why is he called Jihadi John. I hate the fact that such a coward of man has my name.

According to the article, 'The name 'Jihadi John' came after it was reported that hostages referred to the militant as 'John' during their time captive.'
Nothing is going to happen now.

We have his name, great.

Have we got his location? No.
Why would we even do anything? It doesn't matter who he is.
Original post by XxSophie01xX

yes because that will make a massive difference wont it, killing him asap? al qaeda was murdering post 9/11 with frequency, whilst osama was apparently underground till may 2011, they just replace the person
Original post by Reluire

According to the article, 'The name 'Jihadi John' came after it was reported that hostages referred to the militant as 'John' during their time captive.'

I don't think we'll ever "catch" him, at least not alive. If he feels threatened he'll probably blow himself up with hundreds of others.

ISIS willnot be vanquished, no matter how much time and effort the coalition and Iraqis put in. They'll just die out and create another group.
Reply 9
We need to be killing the Organ Grinder not the monkeys.
Original post by The_Internet
Oooh this looks like some good news tbh!

Why would it be 'good' news, what are we going to get out of this?
Must have been oppressed somehow. Must have been radicalised somewhere.

He MUST be a victim somehow, surely?

No way is he just a bog standard Muslim whose faith has lead him to murder? :rolleyes:
Original post by A5ko
We need to be killing the Organ Grinder not the monkeys.

What do you mean by that?
Original post by Reluire

I wonder what will happen next. Will he be found?

His family will receive protection and Shami Chakrabarti will take up his case, lobbying the government to allow him a safe return to the UK because anything else would be against his human rights, obviously.
Reply 14
Original post by BitWindy
What do you mean by that?

Jihadi John is one measly little fellow in the grand scheme of things. Killing him won't end it.
Original post by A5ko
Jihadi John is one measly little fellow in the grand scheme of things. Killing him won't end it.

Well, that's true, but it doesn't mean the "monkies" should be ignored.

"Jihadi John" is a major part of the ISIS propaganda offensive in the West, and I don't think the impact of this should be underestimated.
Reply 17
Original post by BitWindy
"Jihadi John" is a major part of the ISIS propaganda offensive in the West, and I don't think the impact of this should be underestimated.

We put him on this pedestal, made him something more than he is. To me he's just another tool who needs a good killing.
Reply 18
Original post by Dodgypirate

Dodgy Jihadi

Works for me....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
They will get him, sooner or later, like they did Bin Laden. Dead man walking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending