The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
being the best united defender isn't really difficult though is it? :wink:

srs question - rank the defensive quality of united, liverpool and arsenal.

That's like asking if you want a punch in the face or a kick to the groin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You guys were ****ing dreadful last night, even we could have done a Monaco on you.
Reply 2702
Original post by Peggles_*
Is the Ospina experiment now over?

Can we bring back Szczesny, probably would have saved all 3 goals yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've never actually managed to replace Lehamann which is what really ****s me off.

Really should have got Lloris before he went to Tottenham
Original post by sr90
That's like asking if you want a punch in the face or a kick to the groin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You forgot a third option :colone:

Personally, I'd say that Arsenal have the best personnel; they have their occasional breakdowns but overall they're probably better than the other two.

Liverpool are probably second best; without the right system they can be painfully bad, but in this system we're much more solid.
Still terrible aerially and through set pieces though.

United are stone dead last. They have far from the best personnel; Rojo is okay and Shaw isn't completely useless but aside from that there isn't really anybody of note.
Some defenders (Evans, smalling) make hilarious mistakes and all in all they're just terrible as a unit.
No offence, just how I see it - you have a quality keeper though :smile:
The frustrating thing is there were goals to be had yesterday, 2 open goals missed that Giroud header. People can say Monaco were defensively outstanding but if our strikers weren't complete **** we would have scored 4.

Can't believe I'm saying this but scrappy doo is actually needed for the second leg, I think its clear now we can't have both Santi and Ozil playing in the middle, its suicide. A midfield of Coq Wilshere and Ozil/Cazorla/Rosicky with Walcott Sanchez on wing and Giroud up front (or Ox and Walcott wing and Sanchez up top) is dangerous but balanced, Walcott made their lb look like a fool for the 25 mins he was on, he has to start before Welbeck.

Don't even get me started on Ospina and Mert if Gab doesn't start on Sunday I'll massively piased off
Reply 2705
Original post by The Shed End
Couldn't quote these for some reason
Lyrical Prodigy - Monaco! ****ING YESSSS
Zurich -
Will have a full on meltdown when Monaco are 3-0 up after 20m in the first leg and we go out 4-3 on aggregate

I said "try" not we are gonna hammer them. Giroud shoulda scored 4 goals. He missed 4 easy chances and Welbeck shoulda scored too. Just an off day. Could have easily been 6-4 or 6-5. Monaco also missed a good chance.
Reply 2706
Original post by leinad2012
The frustrating thing is there were goals to be had yesterday, 2 open goals missed that Giroud header. People can say Monaco were defensively outstanding but if our strikers weren't complete **** we would have scored 4.

Can't believe I'm saying this but scrappy doo is actually needed for the second leg, I think its clear now we can't have both Santi and Ozil playing in the middle, its suicide. A midfield of Coq Wilshere and Ozil/Cazorla/Rosicky with Walcott Sanchez on wing and Giroud up front (or Ox and Walcott wing and Sanchez up top) is dangerous but balanced, Walcott made their lb look like a fool for the 25 mins he was on, he has to start before Welbeck.

Don't even get me started on Ospina and Mert if Gab doesn't start on Sunday I'll massively piased off

We lost cos Giroud missed 2 tap ins, an open goal and an easy header.
Cazorla and Ozil only works against teams in PL cos they are crap and can't deal with creative players.
We need Wilshere ASAP. He actually tries to win the game when we are losing and at least someone else will actually try other than Sanchez.
Mert looked like he didn't care at all that its his fault Monoco scored two.
Our midfield were just passing it about all casually like they were 5-0 ahead. Only Walcott and Sanchez tried to do something.
Reply 2707
Original post by Peggles_*
Is the Ospina experiment now over?

Can we bring back Szczesny, probably would have saved all 3 goals yesterday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Szczensy has much better reactions than Ospina. He would have at least saved 2 of those goals.
Reply 2708
If Mertaseker is not dropped for Gabriel yet idk what Wenger is thinking anymore.
Mert has cost us at least 10 goals this season.
Original post by ETRC
We lost cos Giroud missed 2 tap ins, an open goal and an easy header.
Cazorla and Ozil only works against teams in PL cos they are crap and can't deal with creative players.
We need Wilshere ASAP. He actually tries to win the game when we are losing and at least someone else will actually try other than Sanchez.
Mert looked like he didn't care at all that its his fault Monoco scored two.
Our midfield were just passing it about all casually like they were 5-0 ahead. Only Walcott and Sanchez tried to do something.

I don't want to be hard on Giroud because his record before yesterday was outstanding. He had an off day at the worst time possible but fully expect him to score this weekend.

I feel so sorry for Welbeck tho, I think everyone wants him to make it but he just isn't there, people on the united thread are right, for once, he's a £8mil Sunderland standard striker at best atm.

I think the issue with Mert is doesn't shows he cares and has admitted he's lost the drive needed. Ox was mortified when he was to Blane for the goal Mert doesn't look like he cares (same could be said for Ozil tbf but at least he isn't complete ****).

Tbh the midfield were awful too, so many misplaced passes. Wilshere performed well before his injury hopefully he can do the same in the next 5 games before he gets injured again.

We have to bounce back and smash Everton like 4-0 no celebrations after each goal, just ruthlessness

Well Giroud isn't world class, because he reached 50 goals faster than Drogba doesn't mean ****. He is a limited striker and always will be. Welbeck is a waste of space, luckily he is still relatively young and English so we should bin him in the summer and get some decent money for him. We need a world class striker and have needed so for 3 seasons now, must be addressed in the summer.

I really don't think Monaco were that great, they just did the usual thing against Arsenal which is wait for them to make a mistake, which of course, we did.

The team selection was just all wrong last night. Having two attacking full backs left probably the slowest CB in the league exposed. The full back pairing should be Nacho/Bellerin, Gibbs/Chambers, having Gibbs/Bellerin is just too attacking. Don't even know why Monreal was dropped, he's been our best defender this season. Welbz is ****. Does nothing but run around aimlessly, is a workhorse. Offered absolutely nothing. Was surprised he got the nod ahead of Theo, especially at home.

Other than Coquelin, our entire midfield went missing, both Ozil and Santi had stinkers.

Lol Ospina is basically a short Almunia, having watched the goals back he really should have done better on all 3. Szcz saves the 1st and 3rd definitely, the 3rd was bread and butter for any keeper who isn't a midget.

Per needs to fix up quick or he will find himself on the bench in no time. Saying this, if that were to happen, who would be captain with both Arteta and Per out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I cannot believe this, we are pining for Wilshere!

Christ on a bike is this how bad it had gotten?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ETRC
Szczensy has much better reactions than Ospina. He would have at least saved 2 of those goals.

Oh this is glorious.
"If we played our error-prone, out of favour keeper, we would've easily found a result."

You were second best by a long way, suck it up and move on.
Wenger is a fraud, and we are stuck with this looney til 2017. Great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1

Monaco won't be coming here for the win so they'll pay extra attention to their defense IMO, and will try to perhaps get a jammy goal.

Good call.

Excited for Monaco first time in years I've gone into a round of 16 genuinely thinking we'd progress

</3
LMAO anyone think we can win the return leg? They're at home and they're gonna be better defensivel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh btw just so everyone knows, the whole three match threads in a week thing will be scraped on Monday so from then on you can match thread your heads off! :biggrin:

Anyways yeah the return leg is a mountain to climb, that 3rd goal was a real slap in the face. We'd have to beat them 3-0, 3-0 for goodness sake. Only a miracle can see that happen. And by then all their first teamers will be back! :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Think people are being a bit harsh on Welbeck. Yeah, perhaps he isn't the quality of Man Utd or Arsenal but I'd say he's better than Sunderland standard. Mid table and upper.
Honestly Welbeck in a better setup would get more goals. Seen worse players like Adebayor and Yakubu have high scoring seasons so why can't Welbeck do the same?

Latest