The Student Room Group

The best "value" accommodation in Glasgow

Hi there,

to cut it short, both me and my girlfriend will be studying in Glasgow (Strathclyde).
I know it's early, but I had a quick look at websites such as Spareroom and couples seem to be unwanted pretty much everywhere.

I was wondering, what would be the best option to find accommodation on a tight budget (we would definitely like to pay less than 500pm, possibly much less).

Are we better off trying to rent a shared flat and pay bills ourselves? Or should we just get a room?

And what about location? In the end, is it cheaper to get a central one and save up on transport, or get something quite distant from the uni and commute daily (we do have a car, but I am unsure how it would play out in Glasgow, with parking and so on)

Many thanks for your help..
There's a house in newarthill for £225 per month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by tiffmartina
There's a house in newarthill for £225 per month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not interested in single options, I want to know what's the best overall choice between renting a room, renting a flat, and if it's best to rent close to the centre and avoid paying for buses etc or vice versa

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can get unlimited student travel passes anywhere for £10 a week for bus&train. You would spend less if you stayed out with the centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by tiffmartina
You can get unlimited student travel passes anywhere for £10 a week for bus&train. You would spend less if you stayed out with the centre

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds good! I'll just have to avoid bad areas! thanks

any other feedback?
Reply 5
I'd recommend looking into maybe a one bedroom flat. Although you need to pay bills and ect you can have much more choice on where you live because there are properties up all over Glasgow, and being someone who is looking for accommodation too the private rental market is actually cheaper in most cases as room shares don't usually allow couples or even charge extra.
GumTree is great to find rental properties without agency fees too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by EDea84
I'd recommend looking into maybe a one bedroom flat. Although you need to pay bills and ect you can have much more choice on where you live because there are properties up all over Glasgow, and being someone who is looking for accommodation too the private rental market is actually cheaper in most cases as room shares don't usually allow couples or even charge extra.
GumTree is great to find rental properties without agency fees too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great advice, thanks.

Now I am at work and can't really check thoroughly, but, I am afraid £500 (approx) is not really gonna cut it for a flat+bills?
Reply 7
Original post by Harvey008
That's great advice, thanks.

Now I am at work and can't really check thoroughly, but, I am afraid £500 (approx) is not really gonna cut it for a flat+bills?

You should be able too, I have found two bedroom properties at around £400 per month that are actually pretty decent so I think a one bedroom flat might be cheaper. Or if not maybe look at a studio flat as if I remember right they are usually cheaper too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by EDea84
You should be able too, I have found two bedroom properties at around £400 per month that are actually pretty decent so I think a one bedroom flat might be cheaper. Or if not maybe look at a studio flat as if I remember right they are usually cheaper too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's quite cheap. Now I am in a smallish town in Hertfordshire and the prices are just ridiculously higher than that!
Reply 9
Wow that's quite cheap. Now I am in a smallish town in Hertfordshire and the prices are just ridiculously higher than that!

I'm in the same boat, moving from Oxford to Glasgow and I was so surprised at the quality you can get in rental for the small prices. It's crazy but awesome for us! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

It's also cheaper to live in Glasgow so you won't need to worry as much for weekly things suck as food and also bills cause it's generally cheaper. They don't have a water bill to cause its included in council tax but as students we don't pay that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by EDea84
I'm in the same boat, moving from Oxford to Glasgow and I was so surprised at the quality you can get in rental for the small prices. It's crazy but awesome for us! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed! Can't even imagine what London would be for a student.

In a few months I'll start having a look at flats, you'd better be done with your research already, I don't need competitors in my way! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Indeed! Can't even imagine what London would be for a student.

In a few months I'll start having a look at flats, you'd better be done with your research already, I don't need competitors in my way! :biggrin:

Haha yeah I know, my insurance is London so I'm banking on getting into my top.

I used to live in Glasgow until I was 13/14 so I know quite a bit, and I've been excited to move back so I've been looking for weeks haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by EDea84
Haha yeah I know, my insurance is London so I'm banking on getting into my top.

I used to live in Glasgow until I was 13/14 so I know quite a bit, and I've been excited to move back so I've been looking for weeks haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you've been around :smile:

Well, I'll be only be studying 1 year since it's a MSc, but my girlfriend will stay possibly 7+ years, as she is going to study Psychology and then, fingers crossed, her doctorate in clinical psychology.

So Glasgow will be our home for a loooong time! Hope to see you there! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest