The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can I ask - a job I'm applying for wants all absence and dates listed on the application form. I've put down two weeks off this month cos I had an operation, but will they hold this against me? It feels unfair because it wasn't my fault!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I had to call in sick :frown:

I've emailed uni as I'm supposed to and I also let the assistant head and my school mentor know too. I asked my mentor to let me know what I need to do now.

I hate that already I feel guilty about not going but I can barely talk, barely hear and it hurt to walk from my bedroom to the bathroom this morning because my muscles are all hurting so much.

It happens! I've had to call in sick a couple of times now. No one minds. I tend to find that teachers are off a lot! And my first placement mentor even admitted to me that she pulled a sicky for two weeks! Annoyed me because she was off for my uni observation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Can I ask - a job I'm applying for wants all absence and dates listed on the application form. I've put down two weeks off this month cos I had an operation, but will they hold this against me? It feels unfair because it wasn't my fault!

It happens! I've had to call in sick a couple of times now. No one minds. I tend to find that teachers are off a lot! And my first placement mentor even admitted to me that she pulled a sicky for two weeks! Annoyed me because she was off for my uni observation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it! you couldn't help it. and you should have some kind of documentation. If a person has had a lot of sick days in the past year for minor illnesses - colds etc, they might hold it against them then
Reply 5242
I am going to start teaching ks2 maths, does anyone have any recommendations of books or websites I could use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why some job applications say KS1/KS2 teacher or Foundation Stage/KS1 teacher? Are they just seeing who applies? They must have some idea of what they need if they are advertising?
Original post by dijojo
I am going to start teaching ks2 maths, does anyone have any recommendations of books or websites I could use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers by Derek Heylock. Good book.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm taking a form soon and I see the form tutor every morning when I observe. She is really lovely but she sets me up in a bad mood every morning! She gives me a huge rant every morning on how she hates teaching and how if she was starting again fron my position she would get out whilst she can. I end up leaving form questioning everything and feeling really low! :frown: hopefully she will run out of things to rant about soon.

Original post by Samus2
I doubt it! you couldn't help it. and you should have some kind of documentation. If a person has had a lot of sick days in the past year for minor illnesses - colds etc, they might hold it against them then

Thanks. I hope not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondsky89
Does anyone know why some job applications say KS1/KS2 teacher or Foundation Stage/KS1 teacher? Are they just seeing who applies? They must have some idea of what they need if they are advertising?

Often this is because the Head is happy to move staff about. So if they get an applicant who is strong in KS1 they may move a current teacher to KS2 to make the team work.
Or maybe they need to make you aware that you could move from year to year and are not employed specifically for that age group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondsky89

In addition to the above it could be a mixed age class.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I have some advice? An application form is asking why I'd like to work in a boys school and I'm finding it hard to answer! I don't mind it being all boys, and I generally prefer teaching boys, but am struggling to think of a reason that is convincing rather than 'there aren't enough jobs to be picky! '

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another day off and I probably won't make it in tomorrow either :frown:

I have awful teacher's guilt going on and I'm still worried that I'm not ill enough to be off but I'm definitely not well enough to teach since I can't hear my own voice or stand up for long. I probably did more school stuff yesterday than I do when I'm actually in school :/

Today I have a sleeping puppy lounging on me. I'm going to take it as him telling me to rest since dogs are pretty good at recognising when people are poorly, right?
2 interviews down... first said the learning was too passive, second the exact opposite! I guess I need to find the balance which is hard in 20 minutes! Still, onwards and upwards!
(edited 9 years ago)
Can I have some advice? An application form is asking why I'd like to work in a boys school and I'm finding it hard to answer! I don't mind it being all boys, and I generally prefer teaching boys, but am struggling to think of a reason that is convincing rather than 'there aren't enough jobs to be picky! '

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a tough one! Is there any research into the benefits of same sex schools? That could be a good way to go... and that you agree with a same sex educational environment. *shrugs* Good luck!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Another day off and I probably won't make it in tomorrow either :frown:

I have awful teacher's guilt going on and I'm still worried that I'm not ill enough to be off but I'm definitely not well enough to teach since I can't hear my own voice or stand up for long. I probably did more school stuff yesterday than I do when I'm actually in school :/

Today I have a sleeping puppy lounging on me. I'm going to take it as him telling me to rest since dogs are pretty good at recognising when people are poorly, right?

I know what you mean. It's hard when you don't feel ill enough but it's not like an office job where you can sit at your desk all day and just take it easy. I find that getting up and teaching takes a lot of energy, so it's totally expected that the boundaries change a little! Get well soon.
Original post by Esmeralda4
2 interviews down... first said the learning was too passive, second the exact opposite! I guess I need to find the balance which is hard in 20 minutes! Still, onwards and upwards!

Ah well at least you've gained the experience. Every bit helps and eventually you'll have it down to a T.

Original post by Esmeralda4
That's a tough one! Is there any research into the benefits of same sex schools? That could be a good way to go... and that you agree with a same sex educational environment. *shrugs* Good luck!

Good idea! It is phrased as 'selective boys school', so I thought I could also put more emphasis on the selective part cos it's easier. I will have a Google about same sex education though. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah well at least you've gained the experience. Every bit helps and eventually you'll have it down to a T.

Good idea! It is phrased as 'selective boys school', so I thought I could also put more emphasis on the selective part cos it's easier. I will have a Google about same sex education though. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, definitely learning a lot from these interviews...It can only make me a better teacher! :-)

And no problem. I hope it goes well. :-)
Feel so cool that the HOD at my placement school has said they would like my contact details so we can keep in touch moving forward in my career (i already have my nqt job elsewhere). Just gives me a confidence boost to know that they think of me that positively :smile:
Omg it scares the **** outta me that we are expected to be cool with a 22+ hr timetable in six months. I honestly don't feel any more confident in front of a class than the day I started in September.

I mean, I'm applying for jobs ans everything but I realistically don't think I can do any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5256
So my second placement has people my father is related to, I say that because they're supposed to be my 'cousins' children but we haven't spoke in years and families aren't on speaking terms. HOWEVER, some of the girls came to my office today and said - 'we know her she's related to us' *waves* and the guy was like 'miss are these your friends', me 'no, not my friends'.

How do I handle this situation? I know they will come back sometime, perhaps even tell others - I had no clue they were here at this school, annoying.

I still feel like a bit of a 3rd wheel and its been 4 days at this new placement, they haven't managed to get me set up on a laptop and the one given to me was a 'brick' in my mentor's words..

I have another question - I don't know if i should be strict, like stand up behind your chairs strict or just friendly/strict i hope that makes sense, cos i overheard a boy saying 'she could smile jeez'
when mentor said id be taking next lesson.. i put the cow face on so they don't think they can push my buttons sort of thing.. confused

is anyone here thinking of doing their nqt abroad? suggestions for agencies who are good with this? still in 2 minds but just an option.
Reply 5257
Omg it scares the **** outta me that we are expected to be cool with a 22+ hr timetable in six months. I honestly don't feel any more confident in front of a class than the day I started in September.

I mean, I'm applying for jobs ans everything but I realistically don't think I can do any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too tbh.. :frown:
For an lesson interview:

- is it advised to always have 10 mins of your lesson for the plenary? My mentor says different, arguing that the government are not in favour of 10 minutes chunk of plenary at the end of the lesson. Instead, they want more mini plenaries into lesson. I don't mind getting rid of the 10 mins of plenary that I usually do, but for an interview lesson is it advised?

Also, is the success criteria told to the children straight after the learning objective or just before the chn do the independent activities?

Thanks
Original post by Striving92
For an lesson interview:

- is it advised to always have 10 mins of your lesson for the plenary? My mentor says different, arguing that the government are not in favour of 10 minutes chunk of plenary at the end of the lesson. Instead, they want more mini plenaries into lesson. I don't mind getting rid of the 10 mins of plenary that I usually do, but for an interview lesson is it advised?

Also, is the success criteria told to the children straight after the learning objective or just before the chn do the independent activities?

Thanks

My interview lessons have been 20 and 25 minutes...not really long enough for a 10 minute plenary! I think schools like to see some sort of plenary though, to show progress.

As for success criteria, I usually give those as a self-assessment either verbal or on paper and remind of them throughout the lesson, particularly at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending