The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cp778
Someone emailed HR and they said we'd definitely hear by this week..... So weird

So we could still be in the running?

Email from HR says:

Dear Ben,

We have had a very high volume of Vacation Scheme applications. We are currently processing these applications and we will let you know as soon as possible the outcome of your application.

Kind regards,

Katy
Reply 3801
Original post by HoHoHo13
Three weeks to get an interview invitation (which given the dates you say meant you applied quite close to the deadline!) is not that long.

Also, have you emailed to follow up? I know Milbank, they're a really nice firm, the HR guy is really friendly and down to earth (and actually seems to know his stuff and "get" the firm he works for) - I'd just email him.

Best of luck to everyone, I know how competitive it is!

Of course. Both the HR guy and the associate who interviewed me were quite approachable and friendly. All I'm saying is that the general waiting time before receiving an interview invite differs. I know some people who applied the same time as me, who received an interview invite 2 days after applying! x
How exactly do TC applications work? If the deadlines are 31st of July, that is before one of my VCs in August. Am I supposed to apply in case I don't get a TC offer at the end of the VC? Are interviews for the TC in July/August then?

Thanks!
Reply 3803
Anyone heard from eversheds Manchester post telephone?
How much notice do firms normally give for ACs?
Oh ok, thanks a lot! It just seems strange to start applying for TCs before actually doing the VCs that I have!

Original post by J-SP
Yes. That's the process.

Interviews might go into September.

It's why firms are supposed to give you 28 days to consider your offer so you can explore opportunities with other firms, should you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3806
has anyone not heard from Withers or gotten a rejection? Why dont they tell us alreadyyyy :angry:
In everyone's experience, have the 'Thank you for your patience, we are screening your application and will let you know' emails led to a yes or a no? Does it basically mean that all the ACs have passed?
Original post by SBafa
has anyone not heard from Withers or gotten a rejection? Why dont they tell us alreadyyyy :angry:

I haven't heard anything!
I really want to get a VS at a firm with a deadline on Saturday. However, a question that I think I keep slipping up on applications is about in the current legal market what areas should a firm focus on to develop and grow?

I'm thinking about writing about merging with offices in relevant locations. Any other suggestions - still got 150 words/one topic to go?

Really really would appreciate any pointers for me to go away and research as this is probably my last chance to get a vac scheme this year now! Thank you so much in advance for any pointers! :smile:

edit: the firm is a national firm.
Reply 3810
Original post by almvp
Has anyone had BOnd Dickinson assessment centre or dwf interview? if you can give me any tips it would be much appreciated :smile:

If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from Bond Dickinson and which office did you apply to? I haven't heard anything post app and applied in Dec.
Original post by J-SP
Yes. That's the process.

Interviews might go into September.

It's why firms are supposed to give you 28 days to consider your offer so you can explore opportunities with other firms, should you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about firms that are interviewing now for TCs? Do they still only give 28 days for you to consider the offer? I'd be doing summer vac schemes in the hope of getting offers from those firms, but presumably firms that give offers now for TCs won't give you that long to decide?
Original post by wanttobelawyer
I really want to get a VS at a firm with a deadline on Saturday. However, a question that I think I keep slipping up on applications is about in the current legal market what areas should a firm focus on to develop and grow?

I'm thinking about writing about merging with offices in relevant locations. Any other suggestions - still got 150 words/one topic to go?

Really really would appreciate any pointers for me to go away and research as this is probably my last chance to get a vac scheme this year now! Thank you so much in advance for any pointers! :smile:

edit: the firm is a national firm.

I PM'd :smile:
Has anyone applied to Wedlake Bell who wouldn't mind if I asked a quick general question about the application form?
Original post by SBafa

I am feeling the exact same!
Original post by J-SP
Yes, you will normally only have up to 28 days as well. Although you could ask for longer if you wanted to, and the worst that could happen is they say no.

If they are interviewing for TCs now and not in the summer, you have to make the decision as to whether you apply now with the risk that you get a TC offer way before your vac scheme and then you have to decide to accept/turn the TC down before knowing the outcome from your vac scheme.

Ultimately you could accept a TC offer and then turn it down in order to accept another at a later stage though. You are just not supposed to, as candidates should abide by their requirements of the code as much as firms should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, that's very helpful. I have the interview in 2 weeks, but won't worry too much about this unless I get the offer..
Anyone hear from White & Case today? Xxx
Original post by J-SP
x

Hey, I'm kinda confused about the whole TC application process. I was wondering if you could shed some light on when it would be the ideal time for me, as a second year non-law student completing vac schemes in the summer, to apply for TC's at other firms?
Reply 3818
Original post by aj90
If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from Bond Dickinson and which office did you apply to? I haven't heard anything post app and applied in Dec.

Hey i heard back around 16th and i applied to bristol you?
Original post by J-SP
Ahhh... This is why it doesn't always work, as things have developed over the years.

You would have to wait until the next cycle of applications open for TCs in the Autumn (October/November time). It's a quirk where firms are technically bringing you in too early on the vac scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, so I would definitely know the outcome of my vac schemes before I have to apply for other TC's. That's kinda beneficial I guess; may not need to make unnecessary applications :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending