The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Lau14
Only made one offer?! and St John's is a pretty big college! But you must have done really well just to be in interviews :smile: I really want to ask for my interview scores now again but I don't want to be a pain...

I was shocked too...
Aha thank you, I'm really happy, which is ironic given I got rejected. It must make you feel so good that you beat that kind of competition! :smile:
Go ahead and ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 321
Original post by CD223
I was shocked too...
Aha thank you, I'm really happy, which is ironic given I got rejected. It must make you feel so good that you beat that kind of competition! :smile:
Go ahead and ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of weird actually? Because like, some of the people that got rejected probably should have got in more than me (not me being self deprecating so much as like, one guy I met probably should have gotten a place but he messed up one of his interviews and he just missed out :frown: ). But it feels nice to have gotten through the PAT and interviews and everything and actually done it because I don't think anyone expected me to do well at interviews at all and I ended up getting an offer and making some friends so there's that :biggrin:
I already asked for my PAT result though ahhhh what do I say now?!
Reply 322
Original post by Lau14
Kind of weird actually? Because like, some of the people that got rejected probably should have got in more than me (not me being self deprecating so much as like, one guy I met probably should have gotten a place but he messed up one of his interviews and he just missed out :frown: ). But it feels nice to have gotten through the PAT and interviews and everything and actually done it because I don't think anyone expected me to do well at interviews at all and I ended up getting an offer and making some friends so there's that :biggrin:
I already asked for my PAT result though ahhhh what do I say now?!

Ah, they chose you so I wouldn't dwell on it! Everyone who got in deserves it. It's a shame that some deserving people like your friend didn't get in, but that doesn't take away how much praise you should get for getting in!

I'd just say "further to my previous email, I am writing to you today to inquire about my performance in the PAT...", or something along those lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 323
Original post by CD223
Ah, they chose you so I wouldn't dwell on it! Everyone who got in deserves it. It's a shame that some deserving people like your friend didn't get in, but that doesn't take away how much praise you should get for getting in!

I'd just say "further to my previous email, I am writing to you today to inquire about my performance in the PAT...", or something along those lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true. It seems to mostly feel like pretty much everyone that gets an interview is good enough, but luck in how the interviews go plays a big part.

I think I will later, I would really like to know the interview scores!
I got a doubt guys! If ur set of values for something like resistance is: 6, 28, 165, 340. How should this be represented on a table?? Same sig figs or same decimal places? Or just like how it is??

Same sig figs would look like 6.00, 28.0, 165, 340, but wouldn't u lose a mark for wrong decimals?
Reply 325
Original post by Lau14
Yeah true. It seems to mostly feel like pretty much everyone that gets an interview is good enough, but luck in how the interviews go plays a big part.

I think I will later, I would really like to know the interview scores!

Ah yeah, but I think the interviews do reflect the whole tutorial system well. I just crumbled under pressure despite having 4 offers aha.
That's understandable! We started astro today...got a Nuclear, Energy and Thermal test tomorrow!
Reply 326
Original post by CD223
Ah yeah, but I think the interviews do reflect the whole tutorial system well. I just crumbled under pressure despite having 4 offers aha.
That's understandable! We started astro today...got a Nuclear, Energy and Thermal test tomorrow!

Yeah I had the advantage of no pressure :biggrin:

Our astro test is next Thursday, and a unit 5 mock the following Wednesday :/ Also yesterday was a teacher was a teacher training day... and it turns out (unsurprisingly) that our physics teacher is the sort of person who takes those days to heart and shoves ridiculous activities down our throats. Which is sort of funny with my new table actually? Because you have Tim actually doing the things and Nathan goes along with it and me and Ed like... well, we tried. Briefly. Couldn't really take it seriously enough to keep a straight face (in retrospect, none of it was that funny. But oh well :biggrin:).

Also I might have to go back to my secondary school soon to talk to the year tens about physics a level and college in general, answer their questions and stuff.
Reply 327
Original post by Lau14
Yeah I had the advantage of no pressure :biggrin:

Our astro test is next Thursday, and a unit 5 mock the following Wednesday :/ Also yesterday was a teacher was a teacher training day... and it turns out (unsurprisingly) that our physics teacher is the sort of person who takes those days to heart and shoves ridiculous activities down our throats. Which is sort of funny with my new table actually? Because you have Tim actually doing the things and Nathan goes along with it and me and Ed like... well, we tried. Briefly. Couldn't really take it seriously enough to keep a straight face (in retrospect, none of it was that funny. But oh well :biggrin:).

Also I might have to go back to my secondary school soon to talk to the year tens about physics a level and college in general, answer their questions and stuff.

Oh good luck! Aha sounds like your workload is high for physics!
Ooh that sounds nostalgic. I'd like to do that..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 328
Original post by CD223
Oh good luck! Aha sounds like your workload is high for physics!
Ooh that sounds nostalgic. I'd like to do that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, only if I actually do any work for them :tongue: (which I really should, with parents evening coming up especially...)

Yeah might be fun, I'll get to see some of my old teachers and stuff which will be nice :smile:
Reply 329
Original post by Lau14
Well, only if I actually do any work for them :tongue: (which I really should, with parents evening coming up especially...)

Yeah might be fun, I'll get to see some of my old teachers and stuff which will be nice :smile:

Ah it's all so busy at the minute! Can't wait for summer (ignoring the wait for results ofc!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 330
Original post by CD223
Ah it's all so busy at the minute! Can't wait for summer (ignoring the wait for results ofc!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the one hand I can't wait for summer because no more stuff to do and we can relax, but also it'll probably be really boring and I'll barely see anyone so :/
Reply 331
Original post by Lau14
On the one hand I can't wait for summer because no more stuff to do and we can relax, but also it'll probably be really boring and I'll barely see anyone so :/

Ah I'm making as many plans as possible - working shifts, booking music festivals & a holiday just to fill time aha!
I'm sure you'll find things to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 332
Original post by CD223
Ah I'm making as many plans as possible - working shifts, booking music festivals & a holiday just to fill time aha!
I'm sure you'll find things to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to London for four days but that's it. My friends aren't great at meeting up overall, or making plans more than a few days in advance :|
Reply 333
Original post by Lau14
I'm going to London for four days but that's it. My friends aren't great at meeting up overall, or making plans more than a few days in advance :|

That sounds a good start! You've got a while any way :wink:

Can I ask, have you been taught an equation for internal energy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 334
Original post by CD223
That sounds a good start! You've got a while any way :wink:

Can I ask, have you been taught an equation for internal energy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Internal energy of anything specific/which topic is it from? I can't bring anything to mind though
Reply 335
Original post by Lau14
Internal energy of anything specific/which topic is it from? I can't bring anything to mind though

Oh right! We were taught that u (internal energy) = w (work done or potential energy) + Q (thermal energy)
Or something alone those lines...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 336
Original post by CD223
Oh right! We were taught that u (internal energy) = w (work done or potential energy) + Q (thermal energy)
Or something alone those lines...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't remember tbh, I'll find out when I do my notes. Although I thought u was to do with binding energy or something?
Reply 337
Original post by Lau14
Can't remember tbh, I'll find out when I do my notes. Although I thought u was to do with binding energy or something?

I think u represents the internal energy in that equation, although u is also the atomic unit of mass, which is 1/12th the mass of a carbon 12 atom (1.66x10^-27kg).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 338
Original post by CD223
I think u represents the internal energy in that equation, although u is also the atomic unit of mass, which is 1/12th the mass of a carbon 12 atom (1.66x10^-27kg).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too many us! I'll figure it out (soon... before that mock which is the day before parents evening).

(I have been working on the PHYA4 notes, just got magnetic fields and gravity left to do tomorrow but I haven't had a particularly productive few days!)
Reply 339
Original post by Lau14
Too many us! I'll figure it out (soon... before that mock which is the day before parents evening).

(I have been working on the PHYA4 notes, just got magnetic fields and gravity left to do tomorrow but I haven't had a particularly productive few days!)

I know! Test was particularly horrid so I'm not looking forward to my marks back on Tuesday.

Oh right! I need to somehow got a mountain of work all into tomorrow - this weekend is so unbelievably busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending