The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What would my chances be for Oxford PPE if I applied with below;
Applied Business Studies (A-Level), Grade A(achieved),
ifs Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies (A-LevelEquivalent), Grade B(achieved),
Chemistry (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Psychology (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Sociology (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level)), Grade A predicted,
Economics (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level), Grade A predicted,
Photography (AS), Grade D (achieved).

Total = AAAAABd

This would be after 3 years of study, however I would nothave spent more than 2 years studying an A-Level and no more than a yearstudying an AS-Level.
Original post by jsheehan08
What would my chances be for Oxford PPE if I applied with below;
Applied Business Studies (A-Level), Grade A(achieved),
ifs Level 3 Diploma in Financial Studies (A-LevelEquivalent), Grade B(achieved),
Chemistry (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Psychology (A-Level predicted, AS obtained), Grade Aobtained, Grade A predicted,
Sociology (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level)), Grade A predicted,
Economics (A2 predicted(AS not taken due to one year a level), Grade A predicted,
Photography (AS), Grade D (achieved).

Total = AAAAABd

This would be after 3 years of study, however I would nothave spent more than 2 years studying an A-Level and no more than a yearstudying an AS-Level.

I think the best way of putting it is that people have got in with less. Between Chemistry, Psychology and Economics, you've got three strong A levels. Unfortunately what this means is that you've cleared the first hurdle, which is meeting the minimum entry requirements. Next you've got to show good TSA performance, write a great personal statement, perform well at interview and get good references. So, to sum up, I don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't apply.
GCSE: 10.5 A*s, 2 As
A levels: Bio, Chem, Computing, Maths w/ Mech

I initially didn't want to apply to Oxford for medicine bc i dont feel that I'm academic enough but now I'm having second thoughts because the campus and surrounding area is so great.

If I'm going to apply to a similarly academic Birmingham, why not Oxford?

Can anyone deter/entice me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the1akshay
I think the best way of putting it is that people have got in with less. Between Chemistry, Psychology and Economics, you've got three strong A levels. Unfortunately what this means is that you've cleared the first hurdle, which is meeting the minimum entry requirements. Next you've got to show good TSA performance, write a great personal statement, perform well at interview and get good references. So, to sum up, I don't think there's any reason why you shouldn't apply.

I meet all the contextual data (which I know doesn't make much difference but every little helps) and would be "flagged" according to the oxford admissions page, however I have poor GCSE results and in-terms of oxford extremely poor. do you think this will make a difference?
Original post by bm09
Apologies this is a little bit of spamming but hopefully it will be useful to you, I'm involved in an access initiative her at Oxford called #OxTweet and we are currently trying to expand our following. It's using twitter to let you know about daily life in Ox (the good, the bad and the ugly!) and to answer your questions. Our accounts cover most subjects (and will be expanding to more in the next week!). In the run up to your applications it's a great way to engage directly with students, pick up some handy tips and see what really goes on. To find us search #OxTweet on twitter or see below for a specific list of accounts (all have @ before them):

oxfordlawyer1
Ox_History
OxfordChemist1
OxPPE
EnglishOx
OxfordBMS
OxArtHistory
Oxford_Physics
OxHumanSci
OxfordPhysPhil
OxfordMaths
OxfordBiochem
OxfordEngineer
OxfordTheology
OxGeog
OxfordCompSci

(more to come next remember!)

Hope it helps!

You missed ClassicsOxford
Original post by kaiwid23
GCSE: 10.5 A*s, 2 As
A levels: Bio, Chem, Computing, Maths w/ Mech

I initially didn't want to apply to Oxford for medicine bc i dont feel that I'm academic enough but now I'm having second thoughts because the campus and surrounding area is so great.

If I'm going to apply to a similarly academic Birmingham, why not Oxford?

Can anyone deter/entice me?

I'll try. Can you unpack your concern 'I don't feel I'm academic enough'? Medicine at Oxford for the first three years is essentially a science degree - it is a very rigorous academic course and the exams you take at the end of year one and at the end of the 2nd term in year two are tough. The final three years are clinical - a very different experience. So I think I'd advise finding out as much as you can about the first half of the course and deciding if it is for you.
Original post by admissionshost
I'll try. Can you unpack your concern 'I don't feel I'm academic enough'? Medicine at Oxford for the first three years is essentially a science degree - it is a very rigorous academic course and the exams you take at the end of year one and at the end of the 2nd term in year two are tough. The final three years are clinical - a very different experience. So I think I'd advise finding out as much as you can about the first half of the course and deciding if it is for you.

I currently have my AS levels and learning truckloads of biology and chemistry from my revision guides. That's why I'm scared of Oxbridge being so academic. I breezed through my GCSEs probably by accident because I've never found it easy to concentrate on learning massive passages of texts or listening to hours of teachers talking.
Original post by bm09
Apologies this is a little bit of spamming but hopefully it will be useful to you, I'm involved in an access initiative her at Oxford called #OxTweet and we are currently trying to expand our following. It's using twitter to let you know about daily life in Ox (the good, the bad and the ugly!) and to answer your questions. Our accounts cover most subjects (and will be expanding to more in the next week!). In the run up to your applications it's a great way to engage directly with students, pick up some handy tips and see what really goes on. To find us search #OxTweet on twitter or see below for a specific list of accounts (all have @ before them):

oxfordlawyer1
Ox_History
OxfordChemist1
OxPPE
EnglishOx
OxfordBMS
OxArtHistory
Oxford_Physics
OxHumanSci
OxfordPhysPhil
OxfordMaths
OxfordBiochem
OxfordEngineer
OxfordTheology
OxGeog
OxfordCompSci

(more to come next remember!)

Hope it helps!

This is a very good idea.

I assume this is a student led initiative?
Original post by admissionshost

At the risk of appearing negative, I should also point out that you're by no means guaranteed to be able to continue into the clinical part of the course if your grades aren't up to scratch. Every year a number get the boot. It's not many, but when I was at Oxford more years than not 1 person from my College left for the clinical aspect.
Original post by jenkinsear
This is a very good idea.

I assume this is a student led initiative?

It is :smile: we're not affiliated with the university, OUSU or anything like that
Original post by AKell17
It is :smile: we're not affiliated with the university, OUSU or anything like that

Having OUSU involved tends to be the kiss of death for any sensible idea so that's reassuring!

All the very best of luck with it, glad to see the current generation of undergrads doing something proactive for access- student involvement in such things when I was there was disappointingly poor.
Original post by jenkinsear
Having OUSU involved tends to be the kiss of death for any sensible idea so that's reassuring!

All the very best of luck with it, glad to see the current generation of undergrads doing something proactive for access- student involvement in such things when I was there was disappointingly poor.

I'm quite involved in access bits and pieces, especially something called Target Schools. Its a great thing to be involved in and I hope I see people in a year or two who are like "I saw you at an access workshop, can I be a part of the scheme?"
Original post by AKell17
I'm quite involved in access bits and pieces, especially something called Target Schools. Its a great thing to be involved in and I hope I see people in a year or two who are like "I saw you at an access workshop, can I be a part of the scheme?"

I did target schools back in the day- once did a talk and 4 years later I was tutoring (I did a bit of tutoring for my old College whilst doing postgrad) someone who was in the audience! Small and weird world, but shows how these things do make a difference :smile:
If anybody here would like an enormous boatload of content about Oxford students and life at the university, here's a link to the Oxford student YouTube videoblogging initiative, OxVlog. =]
Original post by kaiwid23
I currently have my AS levels and learning truckloads of biology and chemistry from my revision guides. That's why I'm scared of Oxbridge being so academic. I breezed through my GCSEs probably by accident because I've never found it easy to concentrate on learning massive passages of texts or listening to hours of teachers talking.

From what you've said, I think you need more information before deciding. I would suggest asking your school to get in touch with the link College for your region as involving teachers in the discussion and talking to outreach officers seems sensible. You could also make plans to attend the June Open days and talk to Tutors in the Department and Colleges to assess the course's suitability for you.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/open-events-and-visiting/university-open-days

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/events-students-teachers/resources-teachers/link-colleges
Hi don't know if this is a but late but wondered if it's worth me looking to apply (I'm year 12)

GCSE : 4A* 7A
Predicted AS levels: AAAA
AS Levels: English literature, art, economics, history
Course: English Literature
College: Magdalen

My teacher has said I could achieve an A* in lit by the end of the year. However economics is weak for me and feel I may get a B (or want to drop it at the end of AS)

Any guidance would be great!
Anyone going to the law taster day at Jesus college??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvetgh0st
Anyone going to the law taster day at Jesus college??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not Law at Jesus, but hopefully PPE at Lady Margaret! *fingers crossed* :colondollar:
Original post by Oakflame
Not Law at Jesus, but hopefully PPE at Lady Margaret! *fingers crossed* :colondollar:

Ooh good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvetgh0st
Ooh good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You too!