The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

So happy interviews have been given to those on here. Looks like tomorrow will be the last chance assuming you have both been given two weeks notice from Thursday to Thursday....

out of interest when did you both have your portfolios viewed?

ahhh this is such a weird experience I was pretty much recovered from the stress of half term and worrying about it
Original post by Notwinter
I don't think interviews will be held on the Friday... I think it's just a 4 day thing. I believe these were the last.

Oh dear :smile:
@notwinter what gives you the impression that it's a 4 day thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I think Slade likes to do things mon-thursday. I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview on the Friday from the previous years.

Oh man! Never mind :frown: I will get over it. I'm just pleased that some people on here at least have got something! I was shocked before that none of us had heard!
Original post by Anna_Z
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice since I'm not from the UK.

I've applied for the fine art BA in CSM, Chelsea, Goldsmiths, SLade and kingston.

So far, I've got interviews for CSM, SLADE and Chelsea, Still waiting for GS and Kingston.

My practice is very interdisciplinary. Which is the most cutting edge, subversive of all?

I really don't want to be in a room full of goody-good rich students which notion of subversive is something they took from tumblr.

All advice opinions are welcome, thanks x

Hi. I wish Good Luck about the upcoming interviews!!
I am not from the UK too.I come from a small island in Greece called Amorgos.I am still a prospective "mature student" as long as this "thread" exists...and I am not eventually rejected..once more!!
I don't know what is a "goody-good rich student" and if tumblr is the "today's notion of subversive"...What does inderdisciplinary means?..
Which different fields of expertise are involved in your artwork?
I would like to see!!
Furthermore,I would kindly ask what is subversive...? Everything today has a connotative meaning...What is radical today??lately everybody is “plugged in” in a way, through an advanced device that allow us to feel the immaterial coming closer , plunging us into a “virtual” environment worth of future further study...The incredible wide range of visual means and multimedia devices,alongside with the multiple means of communication,has created a new virtual space with no limits...many aesthetic values became unclear to understand,eveything is beyond what you see,ocassionally with no visual perception and hardly to define....
My work also is inderdisciplinary..I am experimenting with various forms and techniques of the Fine Arts of Ancient Greece and Byzantium trying to define ....without hesitating to add or subtract.. That is also subversive...
...Being "traditional" today is radical..!!
I will be back later..!

Original post by meganabcdefg
Oh man! Never mind :frown: I will get over it. I'm just pleased that some people on here at least have got something! I was shocked before that none of us had heard!

Did you say those on your foundation were not told a day for their interview or did I imagine that?
I dropped mine off on the 11th Feb!

Thanks for the luck :-)

Know it seems easy for me to say now but I really don't think you should give up hope. It doesn't seem like there's a predictable strategy for informing people- so keep an open mind. 100 interviews seems an awful lot to conduct in 4 days alone, particularly as it seems Slade like to take their time with people. There are still another 6 days to go.
Original post by Artfanatic
Did you say those on your foundation were not told a day for their interview or did I imagine that?

They weren't originally no but they found out their interview time slots this afternoon. Ones is on Tuesday and ones is on Wednesday.
Original post by Frankengine
I dropped mine off on the 11th Feb!

Thanks for the luck :-)

Know it seems easy for me to say now but I really don't think you should give up hope. It doesn't seem like there's a predictable strategy for informing people- so keep an open mind. 100 interviews seems an awful lot to conduct in 4 days alone, particularly as it seems Slade like to take their time with people. There are still another 6 days to go.

Thank you for the positivity :smile: not going to keep my hopes up too much. But congrats on your interview - I hope you smash it! Good luck!
I have faith that there will be more invites I completely agree with frankengine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I thought it was 200 interviews? Am I wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 651
Good luck to everyone with an interview!! Let us know how you all get on :smile:
Why do you say 100?

I just remember seeing it on a thread somewhere... however I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is 200 and I mistakenly plucked 100 out of my feathered brain. Sorry to scare anyone!
Well done to those getting interviews, you must be over the moon!!! Wow ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna_Z
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice since I'm not from the UK.

I've applied for the fine art BA in CSM, Chelsea, Goldsmiths, SLade and kingston.

So far, I've got interviews for CSM, SLADE and Chelsea, Still waiting for GS and Kingston.

My practice is very interdisciplinary. Which is the most cutting edge, subversive of all?

I really don't want to be in a room full of goody-good rich students which notion of subversive is something they took from tumblr.

All advice opinions are welcome, thanks x

Well done!! I'm so jealous all those universities are incredible! Good luck with all your interviews!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
anyone who applied to st martins how many they interview? and are they doing the thing this year where they look at everyone's portfolios and tell the ones they don't like to buggar off without giving them any other thought? Or has it changed?
Reply 656
I'm not sure. In the info attached to the email they mention the portfolio review and then the interview or straight up rejection. Bit depressing.
Reply 657
Original post by Anna_Z
Hey everyone,

(...)

I think you watched too many Hollywood movies :smile:
There no sororities here. All the students get in on the merit of their work - especially into these schools - not by paying their way in.
And yeah, embrace the social media - it's not all bad. Richard Prince's greatest work come out of Instagram interactions.
Original post by eei
I'm not sure. In the info attached to the email they mention the portfolio review and then the interview or straight up rejection. Bit depressing.

I didn't have any info attached to the email, it just said what time the interview was, unless I'm reading it wrong haha xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woke up to a track email and thought it might finally be a rejection from Slade but it was my offer from Wimbledon woooo!!!

Quick Reply

Latest