The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Yep, Psychology is absolutely fine for PBS. And indeed for many other subjects. Even according to the Russell Group. After all it is overall the 4th most popular A-Level.

What are the first three?!
My guess is maths is first.
Original post by alwaysalex
What are the first three?!
My guess is maths is first.

2014 : Most popular A-Levels
1 Mathematics (was English in previous years)
2 English
3 Biology
4 Psychology
5 Chemistry
6 History
7 Art and Design Subjects
8 Physics
9 Geography
10 Sociology

http://www.jcq.org.uk/media-centre/news-releases/gce-trends-2014
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1922
I'm from New Zealand sitting NCEA and I'm Hoping to study medicine. the subjects I'm taking are:

Bio
Chem
Physics
Statistics
English
I'm doing the 3 sciences and maths and gonna apply for medicine at Cambridge next year too.

Original post by aliciaa1997
Yayy a Cambridge 2016 thread ^_^
I'm doing maths, further maths, physics, biology and chemistry. Thinking about doing medicine...any other potential medics out there with the same subjects as me?? I think I might drop further maths next year though.
It would be nice to get in to Cambridge, as I live here and it's so so lovely, and I think I'd suit the course, but also considering London :smile:. Ahhh medicine is so competitive though so I'm really worried about the application process.
Original post by raineandfyre
I prefer the word 'Cambridge' over 'Oxford'. I've never been to either of them (yet) but Cambridge has historically had a great reputation for Astrophysics (which is what I want to do) - Jocelyn Bell-Burnell did her PhD there, which is pretty cool - and most of my least favourite/most despised politicians went to Oxford.

I'd looked at Oxford and decided against it based on how it sounded on the website. I wasn't going to choose Cambridge at all, didn't even look into it (as they don't offer pure Physics), but I happened to get into an argument one day about Tom Hiddleston's Marvel contract, so I ended up on his Wikipedia page, noticed he went to Cambridge, decided to have a quick look at NatSci as I'd found the info I previously wanted and was now bored, and was genuinely amazed by how good it sounded and how pretty Cambridge is. It's quite an odd story, but entirely true. :s-smilie:

Jocelyn Bell-Burnell was our special guest at our school prize day last year, I shook her hand :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello, i would like to get into medicine at Cambridge and i'm currently an AS student taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography. i know I need a lot of work experience but the problem is that all of the hospitals and other clinics have a 24-month waiting list for a week of placement. I literally tried to email every single department but i either got no answer or saying that they're full!! i have no idea what to do because time is running out and I'm starting to panic, any suggestions?? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellojadey
hello, i would like to get into medicine at Cambridge and i'm currently an AS student taking biology, chemistry, maths and geography. i know I need a lot of work experience but the problem is that all of the hospitals and other clinics have a 24-month waiting list for a week of placement. I literally tried to email every single department but i either got no answer or saying that they're full!! i have no idea what to do because time is running out and I'm starting to panic, any suggestions?? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you know 1 doctor at least. Your own family doctor? Ask to follow them around for a week? Ask if they know doctors that would take them? Ask friends who have doctors as dad's. Anything.
Original post by hopefulecon12
Surely you know 1 doctor at least. Your own family doctor? Ask to follow them around for a week? Ask if they know doctors that would take them? Ask friends who have doctors as dad's. Anything.

Or mums.
Original post by jneill
Or mums.

well i never went to my GP since moving to my current town but i'll try and contact the clinic anyway
Original post by raineandfyre
I prefer the word 'Cambridge' over 'Oxford'. I've never been to either of them (yet) but Cambridge has historically had a great reputation for Astrophysics (which is what I want to do) - Jocelyn Bell-Burnell did her PhD there, which is pretty cool - and most of my least favourite/most despised politicians went to Oxford.

I'd looked at Oxford and decided against it based on how it sounded on the website. I wasn't going to choose Cambridge at all, didn't even look into it (as they don't offer pure Physics), but I happened to get into an argument one day about Tom Hiddleston's Marvel contract, so I ended up on his Wikipedia page, noticed he went to Cambridge, decided to have a quick look at NatSci as I'd found the info I previously wanted and was now bored, and was genuinely amazed by how good it sounded and how pretty Cambridge is. It's quite an odd story, but entirely true. :s-smilie:

Yay for astrophysics!
... That's really all I wanted to say :tongue:
Original post by jneill
Or mums.

Yes. Or mums.
This includes me then. *watch.
Btw, i'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and I am hoping to do Medicine.
Original post by hellojadey

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't have to be straight medicine shadowing. I had friends that had served tea on a ward or gone along to befriending sessions at the local age concern day centre or worked in a care home or with disabled children. Anything that you can talk about in a personal statement that shows caring and understanding of vulnerable people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys i need help,

I want to apply for law at cambridge and am going to be applying as a gap year applicant. I wanted yout guys opinion of i would stand a chance with my grades.

Gcse: 4A* 5A
A level: A*AA

Thanks
Original post by Miladrises
Hi guys i need help,

I want to apply for law at cambridge and am going to be applying as a gap year applicant. I wanted yout guys opinion of i would stand a chance with my grades.

Thanks

I'd say go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hopefulecon12
I'd say go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

will they also look at how high my ums score was despite me already achieving A*AA grades?
will they also look at how high my ums score was despite me already achieving A*AA grades?

im guessing they probably would.

You can always email them or ask at an open day

Yes they will.
Hi guys i need help,

Thanks

I take if these are your predicted A2 grades. What did you get for AS?

The average entrant gets 2.7A* so if you are applying with only one they will certainly want to see how well you performed. For "ranking" all you best three AS and A2 UMS will be used.

What AS and A2 subjects are you studying? What were your four GCSE A* in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending