The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

I've had an offer from Manchester university didn't expect it all but very happy atm. Hope everyone gets their offers soon!
Original post by LT1508
I think I like the idea of having 53 other students in my year. Where as at DMU there is only an intake of 25. And also, Marjon has the dysphasia content where as at DMU you would have to go on and do a post grad.. BUT at the same time, DMU has more of a city feel where EVERYTHING is on your doorstep.

Yes I will wait until closer to May to make my decision. It's such an important one I don't want to regret my decision!! :eek:

Yeah I was thinking having a bigger year group would be really nice! But then again the intimate year groups at DMU makes me feel as though you'd be really supported! I didn't realise that DMU did not have dysphasia content?! I assumed since they were both 3 and a half years long that they were both very similar - how ignorant of me!
Original post by naimah_786
I've had an offer from Manchester university didn't expect it all but very happy atm. Hope everyone gets their offers soon!

Congratulations! Did it just come through or was it yesterday - not seen any other offers from today.

Is it conditional? What grades? Will you firm it?

Well done again.
Original post by nesca89
That's why I love this site, it gives us hope and support :smile: I can't wait for the day that I no longer have to check track haha

Manchester have sent out a few offers today my college have all had offers today but I heard track will be down. Good luck to you all
Original post by JordanC55
Is it bad that the thing that put me off BCU was the accent? I just didn't want to live there! Manchester is an amazing city, I visit there quite a lot and it's a great night out; it's also close to Liverpool which spices it up a bit. But then again Birmingham would also be a good city to live in!

One of of the main reasons I applied to the unis i did this time was because I wanna be closer to home, DMU is the furthest away but having gone to the open day I know it'll be fine... So maybe think about distance from home?

Also so go to another open day if you can!

hahahaha nah I got put off of cardiff because of the same reason!
Reply 2385
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah I was thinking having a bigger year group would be really nice! But then again the intimate year groups at DMU makes me feel as though you'd be really supported! I didn't realise that DMU did not have dysphasia content?! I assumed since they were both 3 and a half years long that they were both very similar - how ignorant of me!

I'm 90% they don't. I know it's something Marjon are really proud of and is something that makes them stand aside from other universities. I have a feeling I would get fed up with the busy nature of DMU with it being close to the city center. Interestingly though, when I went on my open days last year, DMU was the one that I thought YES THIS IS FOR ME, but now i have my place i'm really starting to think.
Original post by LT1508
I'm 90% they don't. I know it's something Marjon are really proud of and is something that makes them stand aside from other universities. I have a feeling I would get fed up with the busy nature of DMU with it being close to the city center. Interestingly though, when I went on my open days last year, DMU was the one that I thought YES THIS IS FOR ME, but now i have my place i'm really starting to think.

Yes I remember at the interview Marjon were mentioning it and it did sound really good! That's quite a contributing factor I feel...although DMU did mention in their interview that by September they will have an on campus clinic... That's a crazy change of heart though I can see exactly where you're coming from - I loved the chilled homely feel of Marjon.
I'm having the same dilemma in trying to decide between DMU and Uni of Manc :s
Original post by djavor
I'm having the same dilemma in trying to decide between DMU and Uni of Manc :s

Ah I feel for you! What are some of your pros and cons?
Thats my fault haha, my other offer is Strathclyde and they're not funded by the NHS meaning I'd need to pay fees.

Not quite right - fees are paid for, but there's no NHS bursary grant available :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I feel for you! What are some of your pros and cons?

This is my second time going to University so I would be saving money if I went to DMU as it's very close to home.. And obvs if I run out of money I can come home for a bit..
Also the course is 3.5 years whereas the Manchester one is 4 years & obviously it would be more ideal to finish sooner because of my age..
But obviously Manchester is such an amazing city and I'd be kicking myself if I turned down such a prestigious University :frown: so much to think about lol it's driving me crazy!
Well done guys...this is super news - so many offers I can't keep up!*

DMU will have dysphagia content and you will have adequate training on their course but the other uni has extra content to give you the in depth dysphagia training that you would have to attend after qualifying IF you decide to work with that population. It's extra. 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by naimah_786
Manchester have sent out a few offers today my college have all had offers today but I heard track will be down. Good luck to you all

I still haven't had a track update, track goes down at 6pm so hopefully I'll hear before then :smile: thank you
Original post by djavor
This is my second time going to University so I would be saving money if I went to DMU as it's very close to home.. And obvs if I run out of money I can come home for a bit..
Also the course is 3.5 years whereas the Manchester one is 4 years & obviously it would be more ideal to finish sooner because of my age..
But obviously Manchester is such an amazing city and I'd be kicking myself if I turned down such a prestigious University :frown: so much to think about lol it's driving me crazy!

Have you compared the two courses on Unistats website - it can make an interesting read so far as student satisfaction, employment stats after graduation etc. It might help ....
Reply 2395
Yes I remember at the interview Marjon were mentioning it and it did sound really good! That's quite a contributing factor I feel...although DMU did mention in their interview that by September they will have an on campus clinic... That's a crazy change of heart though I can see exactly where you're coming from - I loved the chilled homely feel of Marjon.

Oh really I didn't know about the on campus clinic that DMU are building! It's such a tough decision I wish I could go to both haha!
Original post by nesca89
I still haven't had a track update, track goes down at 6pm so hopefully I'll hear before then :smile: thank you

Oh my! Can't believe this is happening to you! Really hope you hear soon xx
Original post by aderyn96
Well done on your offer! That's amazing and so quick! I was at the interview on that day so fingers crossed now!!

Good luck to you! I hope you hear soon :smile: I was in the AM group on Tuesday. Which were you?

Original post by Growingold
Well done. You must have done really well and be exactly what they are looking for.

Give them a ring or send them an email about your qualifications. It is probably an oversight.

It was my transcripts they wanted - I can get them. I submitted my actual degrees (scans).

Does that mean we'll be classmates :.) :biggrin:

Yes it looks like we will be, if I meet the conditions on my offer. :biggrin: I will be commuting from home, since DMU is nearby-ish.

To everyone else still waiting - I am thinking good thoughts for all of you and hope you hear good news!!
Original post by LT1508
Oh really I didn't know about the on campus clinic that DMU are building! It's such a tough decision I wish I could go to both haha!

Yeah that's what I've been saying haha can't I just choose both!!! :P Ah well let me know when you do eventually decide :smile: I keep going backwards and forwards with my decision!
Is it bad that the thing that put me off BCU was the accent? I just didn't want to live there! Manchester is an amazing city, I visit there quite a lot and it's a great night out; it's also close to Liverpool which spices it up a bit. But then again Birmingham would also be a good city to live in!

One of of the main reasons I applied to the unis i did this time was because I wanna be closer to home, DMU is the furthest away but having gone to the open day I know it'll be fine... So maybe think about distance from home?

Also so go to another open day if you can!

Haha the accent!! It's something I'm going to have to learn to deal with! I'm not necessarily bothered about nights out (I'm not really a drinker haha)

I feel like Manchester seems more fresh whereas Birmingham seems a bit more grungy (lol I don't think that's a word ha!)

I'm so annoyed at Leeds - I'd have loved Newcastle (love the city!) but I don't have biology at AS or A2 so I wouldn't have got in!

Birminghams slightly further from home distance wise, but if you take into consideration traffic on the way to Manchester it's about the same time distance!

Are you definitely going for DMU even if Leeds reply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest