The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CiaranAndrew
Does anyone have any guesses for female champion at Rolland Garros this year? I feel like Serena is playing well on the hard court but on clay.. I'm not sure it brings out her best. I wouldn't be too shocked to see Halep do well tbh, her consistency and movement should be quite an asset.

Hopefully Maria will win her 3rd consecutive title there. If not Maria, then I wouldn't mind seeing either Halep or Wozniacki win it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Cash's comments about Murray are tasteless.

He was absolutely spot on with his comments.
I stopped watching when Murray was a break up in the third, then came back and was very surprised to see that he'd basically imploded. Still think that he can win another Grand Slam this year. What I saw of Murray in this tournament was much better than anything I saw last year.
Original post by ThatPerson
I stopped watching when Murray was a break up in the third, then came back and was very surprised to see that he'd basically imploded. Still think that he can win another Grand Slam this year. What I saw of Murray in this tournament was much better than anything I saw last year.

Yeah he's definitely 90% of the way back to his best whereas last year he was 60%, he's definitely moving in the right direction and should be one of the favourites for Wimbledon and the US Open
Original post by K1NG93
Hopefully Maria will win her 3rd consecutive title there. If not Maria, then I wouldn't mind seeing either Halep or Wozniacki win it.

2nd consecutive for Maria. She won in 2012 and 2014. Doubt Wozniacki will win it tbh, but Halep or even Ivanovic have a good shot
Original post by ThatPerson

I agree. Biggest thing holding him back is his mental attitude. Physically he is pretty much back to his best

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Krish4791
2nd consecutive for Maria. She won in 2012 and 2014. Doubt Wozniacki will win it tbh, but Halep or even Ivanovic have a good shot

Oh my bad lol. I completely forgot about that 2013 final defeat to Serena.
Original post by RD208
The Women's draw is fairly open when it comes to RG. There always seems to be a few surprises there, although the same could be said of Wimbledon.

I'd expect one of Williams/Sharapova to make the final, but the women's rankings are just so strange, players ranked as low as 20-30 could do it. I feel like there are some players there, such as Radwanska, Wozniaki, Jankovic, Ivanovic, that are consistent and have flirted with success, but have never really stepped up - they have a neat game but there's nothing explosive there. Then you have the likes of Kvitova who have so much power, and can beat anybody on their day, but blow hot and cold.

I'm going to mention Venus Williams, cause she deserves some kind of grand slam run. Its clear she has the ability but no longer the fitness to survive at the top.

I personally feel that Venus improved alot this year. She just has to make lesser unforced errors in her games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nadal clearly in a decline. The French Open will be very interesting this year.
Not a great loss for Nadal, but he's still in the recovery stage - a bit more practice will probably help him get back to competing at the elite level again. He's also a different player at the French (like Fed at Wimbledon but more dominant) - he's able to move around better from the back of the court and he gains confidence by channeling his all wins in the past.

One thing from this is that Murray now goes up to World No. 3, with more points to play for in Dubai.
Some good looking tournaments next week. All the big players in action.
I don't think Rafa is going to smart too badly from his loss to Fognini. He should really have buried it when he was 6-1, 2-1 up, but that's tennis sometimes. He knew deep down that his level was way off his best and he just wasn't able to conjure up the kind of tennis that usually gets him through these type of matches. For anyone that didn't see it, it was a pretty controversial match. Rafa received a second time violation and was docked a first serve at 2-4, 40-40 in the second set, a game he went on to lose. He then ranted at umpire Carlos Bernardes requesting he not be umpired by him again, and literally tanked the final game of the second set out of disgust (combination of that incident and annoyance at having let Fognini in to the match). Never seen him so frustrated as to go on to do that.

It's premature to talk about Rafa being in decline, as this wasn't really reflected in the match last night. He was beaten both by a player who stepped it up to a superb level of play, as well as himself really. The litmus test for decline is always going to be Roland Garros. If he fails to make it past the QF, then maybe that discussion is there to be had, but until then, losing to an opponent playing great tennis in a low level clay court tournament isn't really a massive cause for concern. Both Nadal and Federer have had the decline assigned to them each multple times, yet each of them are still putting themselves in genuine positions to win majors. At RG the type of player he is, year in year out, is different from anywhere else on the circuit during the year.

Dubai is a stacked field indeed. Interesting to see if Berdych is able to continue his form from Australia.
Original post by Sirocco11
I don't think Rafa is going to smart too badly from his loss to Fognini. He should really have buried it when he was 6-1, 2-1 up, but that's tennis sometimes. He knew deep down that his level was way off his best and he just wasn't able to conjure up the kind of tennis that usually gets him through these type of matches. For anyone that didn't see it, it was a pretty controversial match. Rafa received a second time violation and was docked a first serve at 2-4, 40-40 in the second set, a game he went on to lose. He then ranted at umpire Carlos Bernardes requesting he not be umpired by him again, and literally tanked the final game of the second set out of disgust (combination of that incident and annoyance at having let Fognini in to the match). Never seen him so frustrated as to go on to do that.

It's premature to talk about Rafa being in decline, as this wasn't really reflected in the match last night. He was beaten both by a player who stepped it up to a superb level of play, as well as himself really. The litmus test for decline is always going to be Roland Garros. If he fails to make it past the QF, then maybe that discussion is there to be had, but until then, losing to an opponent playing great tennis in a low level clay court tournament isn't really a massive cause for concern. Both Nadal and Federer have had the decline assigned to them each multple times, yet each of them are still putting themselves in genuine positions to win majors. At RG the type of player he is, year in year out, is different from anywhere else on the circuit during the year.

Dubai is a stacked field indeed. Interesting to see if Berdych is able to continue his form from Australia.

Just because you are in a decline it doesn't mean that you can't win majors any more. Both Nadal and even Federer can still win majors. It's just that they are more vulnerable to shock losses as they get older. Nadal is at an age when most tennis players start to decline anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Murray loses to Borna Coric in Dubai - unbelievably bad from him, 55 unforced errors in 2 sets. Coric did defend very well off both wings, and is showing some promise though.
Wawrinka or Kei need to replace Murray in the top 4 ASAP. For a top 4 player to get destroyed by lower ranked players or any player twice in three weeks is unacceptable. Too bad Coric beat Murray. I was looking forward to Fed vs Murray.

Dimitrov is a joke. I think he may have already peaked with last year's Wimbledon. I doubt he wins anything big. Getting bagelled by freaking Ryan Harrison. :toofunny: Baby Federer lol... More like baby Gasquet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_K1NG
Wawrinka or Kei need to replace Murray in the top 4 ASAP. For a top 4 player to get destroyed by lower ranked players or any player twice in three weeks is unacceptable. Too bad Coric beat Murray. I was looking forward to Fed vs Murray.

Dimitrov is a joke. I think he may have already peaked with last year's Wimbledon. I doubt he wins anything big. Getting bagelled by freaking Ryan Harrison. :toofunny: Baby Federer lol... More like baby Gasquet.

Can never be enough Gasquets!

Agree with your Murray point, wouldn't mind Kei completely knuckling down (more likely than Stan) and taking charge of number 4.
Got to feel for Berdych, he always seems to run into Djokovic when he's playing immense tennis. Getting bagelled by Djokovic shouldn't be happening this regularly for a stalwart of the top 10
Djokovic played a fantastic first set, but has dipped a bit in the second set - Berdych about to serve for it. Coric still has a long way to go after being schooled by Federer - just shows how poor Murray was really.
Original post by lizzy95
Got to feel for Berdych, he always seems to run into Djokovic when he's playing immense tennis. Getting bagelled by Djokovic shouldn't be happening this regularly for a stalwart of the top 10

Just shows the gulf between the top 4 and everybody else. Hell the fact that Kei is only breaking in because they are aging rather than because of outright skill should highlight that. Only Del Potro was able to actually compete and even then Nadal's injuries pro ably inflate my opinion of him.
Why doesn't Berdych stand on the baseline and just rip his ground strokes? And his serve isn't anything special for his height. He wants to win a slam. Well he ain't gonna do that if he can't beat Djokovic.

Great final tomorrow. Novak played really well in the first set today but I doubt that Federer would let him play like that. The court favours Federer and Federer is well rested after playing a short semi unlike Djokovic, so I see a repeat of Shanghai 2014 SF with Federer coming to net constantly and not letting Novak get into much rhythm from the baseline... Federer in 3 for me.

Quick Reply

Latest