The Student Room Group

Getting an internship with a 2.2h

I literally missed out on a 2.1 by 2 percent, and got 58 in my fresher year. I'm a history undergraduate and I want to become a solicitor. I'm looking next year to get an internship for next summer as some work experience before I apply for my GDL course in my final year. Will I be able to get an internship with a 2.2? Is there actually any hope?
Original post by Jasoneghan
I literally missed out on a 2.1 by 2 percent, and got 58 in my fresher year. I'm a history undergraduate and I want to become a solicitor. I'm looking next year to get an internship for next summer as some work experience before I apply for my GDL course in my final year. Will I be able to get an internship with a 2.2? Is there actually any hope?

I've moved this to the legal forum, as Apprenticeships and Alternatives to University isn't the right place for it.
You won't be able to get a vac scheme as a second year non-law anyway, any WE next summer is likely to come through contacts or phone bashing where grades matter less anyway.

If you focus on getting a goood 2.1 or 1st next year then you would be able to mount decent application for VS in your final year.
Also - don't just do legal work experience - get positions of responsibility now. Join samaritans. volunteer for CAB. If you have never had a paid job get one! you will need to be a 'well rounded character' for law
Reply 4
Oh I have job and voluntary work experience, just worried about my a level grades, and getting an internship, plus I do a lot of sports, and my gcse were good (4a 5b 1c), but I got bcc in my a levels and missed out on a 2.1 by 2%. When and how can I get experience in my field?
Reply 5
Can I send out letters to firms asking g
For experience, and if so how would I get about doing so? I've drafted a letter already
Yes of course you can! I really suggest, though, thinking a bit laterally as well - try the courts to see if you can get some shadowing (judge or clerks). If not, observe in the courts. You would be AMAZED how many law students have never been to a court. If you are in London at all I really recommend the Royal Courts of Justice. It's v impressive. And the Old Bailey obvs. And also the Supreme Court - this last one is very accessible. You can also try things like the employment tribunals (but not the family courts).

There are lots of charities which are connected to the legal world in a sideways way - try and get something where you are acting as an 'advisor' in some capacity - look for a triage position?

Also, have a scout round your local sols and barrister chambers - see if they are doing any 'events' - they often are - some sort of talk thing you can go along to.

Join things like linked in groups/junior lawyers (actually not sure if you can but check) - anything like that - you get emails with events etc - people often ask for volunteers to do this or that - or email you with jobs/volunteer posts etc.

Just concentrate on getting a 2.1 - you are only just in your first year! Sure you will be OK

Can I send out letters to firms asking g
For experience, and if so how would I get about doing so? I've drafted a letter already
Reply 7
I'm in my second year as I've gotten involved in a lot of societies since I last posted this, I've also got some advice centre experience but I'm still on course to getting a 2:2 (I'm trying my best), I've not got no summer work experience planned although I sent out numerous letters to firms and applied for vac schemes, and I also am deeeeeep into my overdraft and I am struggling quite a bit with no one helping me, my family don't have the money to help me and I also don't have money saved up for a GDL, please can I have some advice because I'm actually at my wits end
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
Try in house legal departments, if you haven't done so already. But the main thing you need to do is focus on getting your grades up.

Also look at the public sector. I know the GLS only ask for a 2.2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where do I find those? And I've looked at the gls, how does the gls scheme work? I still need to do the GDL don't i?
Reply 9
Original post by J-SP
Try in house legal departments, if you haven't done so already. But the main thing you need to do is focus on getting your grades up.

Also look at the public sector. I know the GLS only ask for a 2.2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there anything I can do about my money? I'm scared that I won't be able to afford a GDL course, and to work for the gls you need a qualifying law degree don't you?
I'm in my second year as I've gotten involved in a lot of societies since I last posted this, I've also got some advice centre experience but I'm still on course to getting a 2:2 (I'm trying my best), I've not got no summer work experience planned although I sent out numerous letters to firms and applied for vac schemes, and I also am deeeeeep into my overdraft and I am struggling quite a bit with no one helping me, my family don't have the money to help me and I also don't have money saved up for a GDL, please can I have some advice because I'm actually at my wits end

Hello again

Well done on getting the advice centre experience. It's good. Listen, don't be at your wits end. Break your problem down into its constituent parts - 1) you have the on track for a 2.2 thing 2) you have the overdraft c) you have the work experience and d) the paying for the GDL.

Yes, I know some of these things are connected! But it might help to sort them out one by one.

2.2 - Try your hardest to get your grades up - go see your tutors, go see your personal tutor and ask them to help you

Overdraft - Can you see some sort of money adviser about the overdraft? Can you get a small job to help? Would you be better off working over the summer to earn money? Can you get some sort of paid legal work over the summer?

Work experience - yes, it is better to get an official Vacation Scheme etc etc as more likely the firm will fund your GDL - but still go for other options too, any law stuff you can get/hustle. It will all add up on your CV. Observe. Shadow. Ask judges and clerks for opportunity - I personally think there are a lot of judges out there who will respond positively to a request to shadow. Look at things like letter writing for Amnesty, things you can do 'around the edges'

GDL - Well, it IS possible to fund it yourself in theory - could you do it Part Time or over the weekend? What if you had a year or two working, could you save up towards it? If you do end up with a 2.2, it will limit your ability to get a TC but it is not impossible.

You can approach the ones who don't only consider academics - another is Irwin Mitchell. but you will need to convince them you have the academic ability - it could be some time gaining other experience will help you.

Finally, you can look into routes to qualification which don't involve a TC in the trad sense ie Cilex - Trainee Solicitor site has more information - look out for Noel Linge. FINALLY it is all change out here, the SRA has just changed the way sols can qual to a 'period of recognised training' in theory this opens out the qualification bottle neck (there are a lot of good people out there who want a TC who can't get one) so that in theory you can qualify via paralegal route. It is very new, I dont think anyone knows how it will quite work yet.

So - try not to feel overwhelmed, break down your problem and manage it bit by bit - try not to panic. Look after yourself, seek out the company of friends, go and do something nice like have a bath and watch a box set, something to make you feel better - :smile:
You might find this helpful. But for heaven's sake, do not yet accept that you will get a 2.2 - you must fight against the idea that you are on some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy!!

And do the past papers - out of everything this helped me the most on my GDL - I don't have a 2.1 in law!! Law is hard

http://studyinglaw.co.uk/22-from-your-law-degree-can-i-get-a-training-contract/
Reply 12
Thank you all very much for giving me some sort of advice. I do have a part-time job, but then it is 15 hours a week. It does't allow me to give time to my work. This is all the experience I have right now:
Law soc publicity officer
volunteer advice centre assistant
customer advice assistant
history course representative
volunteer adviser
junior team leader and approved fundraiser
engagement and impact frontrunner
social event promoter
team leader and key spokesperson
Reply 13
Original post by J-SP
That's all really good stuff, and will look good on an application. But I would consider dropping some of these activities so you can focus on your part-time job (also important on a CV) and getting a 2.1.

If you haven't already, also contact Aspiring Solicitors. They are doing some great things connecting students with law firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

student ambassador for them too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending