The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james1211
I still can't tell whether my inability to sit down and do work and focus on it/have no motivation is due to my anxiety or because I'm just lazy. Often beat myself up about it rightly or wrongly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, I guess the difference between me being lazy (which I def am some of the time) and me being too ill to work, is "I cba/don't wanna do this" versus "I actually CAN'T do this right now" :fyi:

Original post by ScaryScience
urgh. I need help :cry:

:jumphug:

I would say let's talk on Facebook but my mum's about to drag me off to bake my dad's bday cake :s-smilie: In any case, Noodlzzz's post is better :sadnod:
Original post by ScaryScience
urgh. I need help :cry:

:jumphug: Hope you're ok :s-smilie:

Original post by Anonymous #2

I hope things start to improve for you soon.

Cheers :smile: Got a bit done, having a break now and then I'll get back to it. My mood is all over the place :s-smilie:

Wah, hope you feel better soon. Have no advice for controlling moods because I'm absolutely awful at it :colondollar:

Well done! Hope it settles a bit soon (preferably in a good way) :hugs:

I should know by now that the more I let myself be hyper, the worse I am afterwards. Yet I still never seem to pay any attention and regret it later. Need to actually do stuff tomorrow and right now I'm struggling to even stand up. Sorry, I'll stop whining, it's my own fault :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For me, I guess the difference between me being lazy (which I def am some of the time) and me being too ill to work, is "I cba/don't wanna do this" versus "I actually CAN'T do this right now" :fyi:]

By that definition i'd say a fair percentage of it isn't laziness. Sometimes i'll sit down to do work and if i do manage to research something and write some literature review on it for my dissertation, i'll go back and read it the next day and it'll be rubbish because i've not been able to focus on it properly. So the next time i feel that way i just don't bother starting cause i can identify when i'm in that frame of mind and save myself the effort and stress.
I hate it how some people think they know what is best for you, when in fact they really don't and just make things worse.
Ok so apparently my drs appointment was on wednesday not this morning :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think ive hit rock bottom and then gone under :frown:
I've had to go as far as making a thread regarding whether I have a major victim mentality tonight.
Original post by lauraaaaa

:jumphug: Can come on skype if you want to talk? Or just PM me on here. Please try and stay safe :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:grouphugs: for everyone, especially ducky and Scary :frown: Let's not confuse being mentally unwell with sheer laziness though, peeps! :grouphugs:

SO relieved for you. Well done on speaking up, hun :jumphug:

Original post by Noodlzzz
That's great news I'm really pleased for you :smile:

Thank you, couldn't have done it without my wonderful friends though. They've been seriously amazing. Just glad that finally someone might be able to help me, because I'm struggling a lot right now. Things seem to be looking up now? But still really finding things hard, but I'm trying to see the positives - still have that voice in the back of my head that tells me I'm not worth helping, that' I'm useless, worthless, etc., don't know how to muffle it (if you get what I mean)??

--------

Got an 80 on my presentation, really relieved, kinda bummed that everyone else I know seems to have gotten higher though. :frown: Wish I knew how to stop comparing myself to others.
Original post by furryface12
:jumphug: Can come on skype if you want to talk? Or just PM me on here. Please try and stay safe :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: hope you're okay!
Talked to my psych on Wednesday and he thinks I'm starting to relapse so he increased some of my medication :frown: My girlfriend has seen signs of a relapse too.

But a bit of positive news, I got told my assessed interview with a service user for my Social Work course went really well so that cheered me up a bit. Get the full marks back next week.

Hope everyone is doing okay :grouphugs:
Original post by james1211
By that definition i'd say a fair percentage of it isn't laziness. Sometimes i'll sit down to do work and if i do manage to research something and write some literature review on it for my dissertation, i'll go back and read it the next day and it'll be rubbish because i've not been able to focus on it properly. So the next time i feel that way i just don't bother starting cause i can identify when i'm in that frame of mind and save myself the effort and stress.

It's good to try and do work sometimes, even when you don't feel like it or are not feeling well, but I guess if it's causing stress, then it's better to just keep being self-aware and engaging in self-care :yes:

Original post by lauraaaaa

Only just seen this :jumphug:

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I've had to go as far as making a thread regarding whether I have a major victim mentality tonight.

:console: Haven't seen the thread but not sure that's your wisest move ever :no:

Original post by Pathway
Thank you, couldn't have done it without my wonderful friends though. They've been seriously amazing. Just glad that finally someone might be able to help me, because I'm struggling a lot right now. Things seem to be looking up now? But still really finding things hard, but I'm trying to see the positives - still have that voice in the back of my head that tells me I'm not worth helping, that' I'm useless, worthless, etc., don't know how to muffle it (if you get what I mean)??

--------

Got an 80 on my presentation, really relieved, kinda bummed that everyone else I know seems to have gotten higher though. :frown: Wish I knew how to stop comparing myself to others.

80 is insanely high :eek: You should be well proud of that :yep:

Don't listen to that voice. TLG says you're worth it. TLG has an Oxford degree. Ergo TLG trumps voice at back of the head :smartass: :yep: :shakecane:

80 is insanely high :eek: You should be well proud of that :yep:

Don't listen to that voice. TLG says you're worth it. TLG has an Oxford degree. Ergo TLG trumps voice at back of the head :smartass: :yep: :shakecane:

Thanks. :colondollar: It brought my average back up too (70 :woo:), my friend who came with me today even said that considering everything that's going on with my MH I should be proud, that even someone with no health issues would be proud of getting an 80. So...I really think I need to work on being less hard on myself, just not sure how to do it. :dontknow: Hope you're ok. :hugs:
For the first time in like ever, I'm starting to come round to ONE night out. People have asked to come out with them for weeks now and I don't know, perhaps I could try just one night out. I don't want to disturb my family coming in though, so would it be rude to ask if I could sleep in a friends room/ on the floor or something? :redface: That sounds selfish I know, but this'll be one massive giant leap out of my comfort zone if this were to happen i.e. a night out
Original post by Pathway
Thanks. :colondollar: It brought my average back up too (70 :woo:), my friend who came with me today even said that considering everything that's going on with my MH I should be proud, that even someone with no health issues would be proud of getting an 80. So...I really think I need to work on being less hard on myself, just not sure how to do it. :dontknow: Hope you're ok. :hugs:

Awesome average :biggrin: It is a really hard thing to learn to do (being less hard on oneself) but hopefully this clinical psychologist you are gonna get will be able to work on that with you :smile: Fingers crossed! :h:

Original post by IDukem
For the first time in like ever, I'm starting to come round to ONE night out. People have asked to come out with them for weeks now and I don't know, perhaps I could try just one night out. I don't want to disturb my family coming in though, so would it be rude to ask if I could sleep in a friends room/ on the floor or something? :redface: That sounds selfish I know, but this'll be one massive giant leap out of my comfort zone if this were to happen i.e. a night out

That wouldn't be rude at all - I'm sure most friends would be happy to accommodate you for the night :yes:

That wouldn't be rude at all - I'm sure most friends would be happy to accommodate you for the night :yes:

So I'm not being unreasonable? It's just a big thing for me. I haven't done it in a while and I don't know what it's like now! I just feel bad having to make excuses all the time (although a lot of my mates are understanding :h:). I guess trying it out once more a few years later might give me an updated stance on it as I'd be with a whole new set of people.

I don;t know! But life is about risks I guess :redface:
Original post by IDukem
So I'm not being unreasonable? It's just a big thing for me. I haven't done it in a while and I don't know what it's like now! I just feel bad having to make excuses all the time (although a lot of my mates are understanding :h:). I guess trying it out once more a few years later might give me an updated stance on it as I'd be with a whole new set of people.

I don;t know! But life is about risks I guess :redface:

Not unreasonable at all - don't overthink these things, Dukey darling :lovehug:

Life is indeed about risks. That said, you're a braver man than most! I went clubbing once during Freshers' Week and never went back :lol:

:redface:
Not unreasonable at all - don't overthink these things, Dukey darling :lovehug:

Life is indeed about risks. That said, you're a braver man than most! I went clubbing once during Freshers' Week and never went back :lol:

:redface:

I try not to though, I'm not even thinking about myself! I feel stronger than I was two years ago. I'm thinking about the people with me/waking my family up at night :lol:

I'm going to talk to some people about it! My Dad was supportive, I'll talk to my Mum tomorrow as she's very tired and sleepy right now :smile: And then maybe I'll talk to some friends about it in the week.

This would be HUGE step for me...small deal for others, but massive for me as this is/was one thing that is like a no-go zone for me :colondollar:
Reply 2018
Hello,

I was just wondering if I could join this thread to make some new friends and just to generally talk. I was bullied through secondary school which sprung up panic attacks and social anxiety after I left but I'm trying to get better. It would just be really nice to talk to someone sometimes as I always feel like bothering my friends when I bring up the situation (though a lot don't know the true extent to the problem). I had a bad spring up of memories today which is why I decided to post on this thread, I hope you don't mind.

It's lovely to meet you all :redface:
Awesome average :biggrin: It is a really hard thing to learn to do (being less hard on oneself) but hopefully this clinical psychologist you are gonna get will be able to work on that with you :smile: Fingers crossed! :h:

Thank you. I am trying - although, I am still concerned about how my exam on Wednesday went...My disability adviser said that I will be able to apply for extenuating circumstances, just wish I didn't have to (feel bad about that too). But I have been really struggling lately. :frown: And having panic attacks/flashbacks the night before and panic attacks during the exam did not help at all.
Yeah, I hope so, just not sure what the clinical psychologist would be able to do? Feel really stupid because I feel like I'm beyond help.

Latest